Owner asking a full payment along with 2 month deposit to visit an apartment in Barcelona.

Owner asking a full payment along with 2 month deposit to visit an apartment in Barcelona.

Hi Community, 

I have got a weird request from the owner of an apartment for renting an apartment here in Barcelona. I find this as full spam but want to verify with you if you have faced such experience before or not. 

Situation:

I am looking for an apartment and was contacting many owners. Two of the owner has asked me to pay 2 months deposit and 1-month room rent in advance via AirBnB link to see or get an appointment to visit the apartment. I am not sure whether I will take it or not but want to check it and if I like it I will take it. However, paying after finalizing everything is viable but to see an apartment, I have to pay full money. I have a full doubt.

Following is the last email from the owner.

Let me explain how Airbnb works.

- I have the floor on Airbnb but for long term rentals (without extra costs).
- I send the link to make reservations through Airbnb. To start the transaction, Airbnb needs one of its official documents ( "a document with your photo"), such as ID card, passport or driver's license, to prepare the lease, because it is not a normal Airbnb transaction for a short-term rental, Airbnb is a transaction for a long term rental and Airbnb need a copy of your iD to the lease because Airbnb already have my copy of identification.
- To organize the visit, Airbnb requires a deposit of two months rent and money for the first month rent by bank transfer. If you choose to rent the apartment, payment is calculated as the first month's rent and security deposit will be returned at the end of the lease.
- I make a big discount if you pay the rent in advance for 6 months or more if you pay for 1 year.

The floor can not be visited before booking and pay Airbnb. First you have to book the flat on the link that will give Airbnb and after booking, you have to transfer the money to Airbnb bank account. Airbnb keep the money until you visit the floor, so both are fully protected.

Once the booking is confirmed and the transfer to the bank account of Airbnb, arrange the appointment as soon as possible so you can visit the flat, we give you the keys and sign the lease.

Have anyone of you faced such kind of things earlier. It is weird but if people are doing and safe then I am fine but I don't this is legit email at all.

Regards,
Udhy.

4 Replies 4
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Udhyan0 That's a super common scam. If there is a way to report their ad as a scam, make sure you flag it. I'm sure the link they sent you wasn't to the real Airbnb site: they send you to a site that looks like Airbnb, but it's actually just set up to dupe people. Run away!

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Udhyan0  What @Alexandra316  said. Total scam. Do not give them any money!

For me, the flag was "The floor can not be visited before booking and pay Airbnb." No one in the world that I've ever heard of--and I've lived all over--asks you to pay money before you are allowed to see a place.

So yes, trust your instincts. This is a scam, for sure. Run, run, run away!

Thank you, everyone. I have already blocked two emails alias. However, I thought to make sure as you never know if there is something new Service we have. But for seeing the apartment, 3000 euro 😄 , so I am running far from them from yesterday. Now I will close the conversation. 

Once again, I really appreciate all of your input.