PA Hotel and Sales Use Tax Collection and Local Occupancy Tax

Jennifer-And-Garry0
Level 1
New Jersey, United States

PA Hotel and Sales Use Tax Collection and Local Occupancy Tax

Our local township is requiring an STR permit application to be submitted due to a new ordinance.  I have to show proof that taxes have been paid in full for both PA State which is 6% and Carbon Co. Occupancy 3%.  I called into support to see where I can find a report showing me exactly what has been submitted so I can show proof that I am paid to and up to date, which is required with the STR permit application.  I am thoroughly confused right now.  I was under the impression that Airbnb paid both of these taxes automatically; however, I can not seem to get a straight answer from support.  I called the County regarding the Occupancy tax and they stated that they receive one lump sum from Airbnb so they have no idea what amount belongs to which property.  Odd.  So my question is (since customer support just reads off of the website and offered absolutely no help on this topic) does Airbnb in fact submit both PA Hotel Sales Use Tax of 6% and Carbon County Occupancy Tax of 3%? And if so, how do I find proof that this has been submitted by Airbnb?  I can not find a report indicating these particular taxes and the amounts along with proof that they have in fact been submitted and paid by Airbnb.  Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

4 Replies 4
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Jennifer-And-Garry0   This was one of my first questions for my tax guy when Air started collecting the taxes and not remitting them to me.  He told me to track each booking and keep a spreadsheet of the amounts that were "paid" by AirBnB, and to continue to submit my monthly reports to the State and County for my income and the associated taxes with the explanation sheet stating that those amounts were paid by AirBnB.  That is MY ONLY PROOF in the event of an audit.

I am not aware of any report, document or proof of payment that you can get from an OTA that your taxes have been paid.  

Stephen1323
Level 1
Philadelphia, PA

Hi Jen and Garry, thanks for bringing this topic up. Did you ever arrive at a resolution? In addition, do you know if the lister is required to file for a Sales, Use, and Hotel Occupancy Tax license through PA-100 separately from AirBnB?

Kendra114
Level 9
Galveston, TX

Have you ever received a straight answer on this? It is ludicrous that Airbnb doesn’t provide us any proof that they are paying our taxes! No business owner in their right mind should tolerate this. I have been trying to get a straight answer on this for over a year. I tried again yesterday & my ticket was closed out with zero response. Are you kidding me Airbnb? AT THIS POINT I HAVE LOST ALL TRUST IN AIRBNB. 

Artesa0
Level 1
Virginia, United States

Wow I am fairly new to Air BnB and I can’t get a straight answer from Air BnB as to where is the proof that taxes has been submitted and paid to state. This is ridiculous and I will get some legal support to help. I just need proof that taxes were paid on my corp behalf…no empty words but the official documents for my records. The phone agents will not give me a straight answer and this is still unresolved.   @Kendra114