When will we get Airbnb set PET FRIENDLY REQUIREMENTS?

Kathryn220
Level 1
Sydney, Australia

When will we get Airbnb set PET FRIENDLY REQUIREMENTS?

Hi All, 

I'd love to see Airbnb take on changes for pet friendly listings in order to make travel for people with pets easier. It would be great to have a minimum set of requirements for homes to be able to be listed as pet friendly, such as securely fenced yard and shelter if not permitting pets inside.

I recently booked and stayed at a pet friendly airbnb only to find the yard was not in any way secure! The house rules were also that pets were not allowed inside, so there was no secure place for my dogs to hang out. 

A few basic requirements/amenities in place for pet friendly listings would be helpful. 

I airbnb my home and have a securely fenced yard. I also provide dog bowls, kibble and dog towels (for dirty feet and bellies), and generally find that guests with pets are cleaner than guests withkids haha!

24 Replies 24
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Kathryn220That's a really, really good idea. As someone who often travels with my dogs, it would be good to have a basic set of requirements. 

I have never seen a pet friendly listing that didn't allow animals inside: I would argue that if they're not allowed inside, how is it an animal-friendly listing? What if it was child-friendly but you had to leave them out in the yard? It seems bizarre to me. 

@Alexandra316  Last night my home was not pet friendly to our own personal dog inside... Everyone but me was gone over night so it was just me here, I had to drag her dog cage outside at 2 AM. She was a crate trianed dog, dang thing whined when we removed it from the house after a year, guess she felt she lost her home away from home LOL, so we left it for her in the house without the door being closed ever.  I put her in the crate, closed the door and left her between my house and garage until 7 this morning. Armed with gallons of tomato juice, a hose and dog shampoo I finally released her. Fool dog chased a skunk at 2 AM and lost. I can still smell the scent on me and her. 

@Letti0Oh no! I dread this happening. My two are small animal chasers, and often catchers. I haven't seen any in the backyard yet, but I feel that it's just going to be a matter of time before it happens. The smell is absoltely horrible. 

@Alexandra316  She gets skunked at least 3-4 times a year, but I don't have to deal with it lol except this time. She's a 5 year old Airdale and never gives us problems except these few times a year. She's K-9 trained so she knows better, but $hit happens I guess even with the best trained animals. Today my luck with animals has been pretty crappy. I walked her ouside at about 5:45 PM and some dang bird or birds $hit on my hair I felt something warm/hot on my head, then instantly my  shoulder and arm while I was out there. Purple mulberry tree  eating birds that I feel violated my space, I am going to cut those dang trees down sooner than later, but I cannot shoot every bird out of there for splashing me with purple bird $hit, but I want to.

@Letti0That's brutal! Bloody birds. I've heard that getting crapped on is supposed to be good luck, but if you ask me that's probably just a platitude to make you feel less bad about being covered with $hit. 

Mine are not well behaved at all, so I'm surprised it hasn't happened. They're both 5, and Bexley didn't have obedience training until he was over three (he was at the track until then), and Alonso didn't have it until he was almost 5 (he was in a shelter in Spain for a year until he came to me. Before that, he was an outdoor dog). Trying to even teach them the concept that you're trying to get them to do something is challenging, and if they see something they want to eat, all bets are basically off. A skunk would fall squarely into the edible category. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

I agree, we've had more damage from kids than dogs.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I would be interested but if I am going to invest in such facilities I would need to know I can charge for them.

David

Charge and have a substantive deposit we can easily access.

I tried being pet-friendly for a while.  What it got me was guests that couldn't control where their animals peed,  and costs.  ABB would need to put in substantive thought to make this work.

With 10-20% of threads from hosts being complaints about ABB's culture and lack of responsibility,  I don't think that's going to happen.

hi from 2022, nope they did not. you get to charge a one-off fee for all pets.  not great. 

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I have the "mud towels", but not the bowls, @Kathryn220. That's a great idea. Thanks!

Agreed @Alexandra316. If it's ticked on a listing, they get to come in at the very least.

(And the host gets to ask,"Who's a good dog? Who's a good puppy dog? Is it you? Are you a good dog? Yes you are, aren't you?")

@Lawrene0Absolutely! That's part of the deal. Pets, snuggles and conversing with guest dogs are some of the perks of hosting. 

Mel101
Level 10
Amsterdam, NL

I'd also like the ability to choose which pets. I'm happy with dogs and suitably caged rodents, but I'm allergic to cats, so they'd get a definite no to staying here.

@Mel101  Do people actually ask to bring caged rodents? I am pet sitting my daughters hamster right now for her. I swear the dang runs 100 miles a night on it's wheel. For such a little thing it's very noisy at night.

No one has asked so far, but my neighbours take their guinea pig on holiday with them, so I guess it's possible.

I know what you mean about hamsters, they're noisy little blighters. When they're not running, they're chewing bars. On the plus side, it doesn't take lo g to tell if they've escaped; something else they're extraordinarily good at!