When will we get Airbnb set PET FRIENDLY REQUIREMENTS?

Kathryn220
Level 1
Sydney, Australia

When will we get Airbnb set PET FRIENDLY REQUIREMENTS?

Hi All, 

I'd love to see Airbnb take on changes for pet friendly listings in order to make travel for people with pets easier. It would be great to have a minimum set of requirements for homes to be able to be listed as pet friendly, such as securely fenced yard and shelter if not permitting pets inside.

I recently booked and stayed at a pet friendly airbnb only to find the yard was not in any way secure! The house rules were also that pets were not allowed inside, so there was no secure place for my dogs to hang out. 

A few basic requirements/amenities in place for pet friendly listings would be helpful. 

I airbnb my home and have a securely fenced yard. I also provide dog bowls, kibble and dog towels (for dirty feet and bellies), and generally find that guests with pets are cleaner than guests withkids haha!

24 Replies 24

@Mel101  I hope for her sake she doesn't escape my dog is constantly sniffing at the cage and I'mmmm not sure if it's because she wants to play with her or eat her lol...

Penny177
Level 1
Niagara Falls, Canada

this is supposed to be an airbnb discussion... go on facebook to discuss your dog for X sake.. this is not legitimate at all

Nathan210
Level 2
Denver, CO

100% agree here. My home is pet friendly and has a yard with with a secured fence. Would like guests to be able to filter by "Fenced Yard" or "Secured Fence"

Laura2561
Level 2
Bendigo, Australia

Well we allowed pets for the past 16 months and we have 3 episodes of damage first was $150 where the dog scratched the fly screens of the back doors ,the second time the dog dug up the back garden .$50 worth of materials to rectify damage ,the third time two weeks ago $4500 damage where the dog defeacated  , urinated  and vomitied on our custom rug lounge furniture and the carpetsed floor in 2 rooms and upstairs landing .airbnb will not compensate us and the guests have just disappeared .This has left a dreadful feeling allowing guests with pets .i must admit we have had a lot of pet owns visit the property but it seems  unfeasible at the end of the day .

It's worst case scenario posts like this that are a good reinforcement for a decision not to allow "well behaved" pets. Sorry you went through this!

It would also be nice to just have a filter for stays with a fenced yard. As a dog owner I often have to look through images before finding out if a stay has a fenced yard or not. I have a large dog that likes to run so a fenced yard is a huge bonus when we are booking a stay wherever we travel.

in the UK you can get a ticket from your local council for pet accommodation, showing that you are up to spec. (fences, area etc) it is pretty much the law but widely ignored.

we do take pets, but say in the listing that we don't, so that we can check with the pet owners that our dogs won't see them as "prey" (it is a greyhound thing)

I do agree, pet hosting is a great niche, just needs the right tools at airbnb's end to make it work.

Moira113
Level 2
Florida, United States

I'd like to keep this conversation going!  I spend hours searching for fenced yards in a sea of photos and reviews in order to find the right properties for us.  We are frequent AirBnB guests with two medium sized dogs and would love an easier way to filter by fenced yards.  

Matt4555
Level 1
Seattle, WA

I've spent a week trying to find a way to search for fenced yard. I will travel anywhere, literally anywhere, within 4 hours to take our dogs on a trip. Why? Our dogs need outdoor time, I don't know local wildlife/dangers, and we have an infant. Making a "fully fenced yard" option would enable anyone with that to have instant bookings from a lot of people.

Jennie106
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Hi I'm running into the same problem where I'm spending a lot of time looking at pictures for fenced yards. Would be great to add this filter!