PETS And FEES

Shanyn0
Level 3
Urangan, Australia

PETS And FEES

Hi Guys, 

I am a host and allow pets, I think it is great that people can bring their fur babies along with them while they are on holidays but i would love it if AIR BNB would put an opion for a pet fee/pet cleaning fee. What are your thoughts? I do find that when we have a dog stay that the cleaning is always so much more but i do not want the minority to blow it for the majority. Whats your thoughts?

75 Replies 75
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Shanyn0, there have been many threads about this where hosts have wished that a pet fee could apply. You could state on your listing that pets are allowed on special request but that a pet fee of $xxx applies. You can then send a special offer to those guests who wish to bring a pet. Please note that special offers can only be applied on a booking request (not confirmed bookings) so you may need to clarify on your listing that guests must send a request to bring pets prior to booking.

Hello Kath in Albanry Australia, I am a super host here in Tasmania and my policy stipulates,  NO pets, however this chap wanted to book my place with his wife and small child and couldn't not find a kennel to board their pooch! So softy me allowed them to bring the little dog, on the proviso that it was to  (sleep in his van, his words) although allowed on the verandahs, but defineltly not in the cottage, to which he agreed and to  pay a fee. I don't live at the property. Check out is 10am however I did not have anyone coming in until the next day. I arrived at my cottage at 11.15 and the guests were still there, knocked on the door, lady answered, introduced myself and there was another lady there also, I asked first lady where her husband was, she said out on back verandah with the DOG, all of a sudden the door opened and in ran 2 dogs!  I must have looked very stunned!! as I found myself ordering the dogs to get outside! I did not front the guests, because then I saw 2 CHILDREN on the lounge! This family has now grown in 2 days from a booking of 2 adults+ child + 1 dog  -----    to 3 adults + 2 children + 2 dogs. To add insult to injury, they apparently left me a really positive review! This was conveyed to me by the Airbnb operater whilst I was asking if there was anything they could do about this situation.  Now I have to front them and ask for extra $$. Any advise would be very much appreciated.   Has this happened to any other hosts? Happy New Year all. Cheers Coral

Hi Coral

Yes! Unfortunately dishonest guests all over the place!

I had a situation where 5 turned into 11 and I live on premises but they came late at night and tried to sneak out early in the morning....

My husband saw 3 cars in the parking and was alarmed...

Now I am facing the same problem 5 became 7 sometimes 9....they going all about visiting but ita not visiting if they sleepover with 3 cars. I asked for more $ and now looking to install survelliance cameras outdoor in front of all front doors which I will list on the ad once installed.  

That has happened to us too and it is so frustrating! We charge for extra guests to give a couple a reasonable price and so that groups of 6 also pay a reasonable price. But getting guests to accurately list number of guests seems to be tricky.

We allow pets in some of our listings and charge a pet fee. In the one listing that we maintain as pet-free (for those with allergies) our House Rules state that we will charge a $100 cleaning fee (same fee we charge if someone is smoking inside) for any pets brought into the pet-free listing. If it is in your House Rules, Airbnb will automatically honor the fee if you have a guest who violates the House Rule.....IMPORTANT: make sure that you NO PET rule includes the $100 fee for violating the policy. 

I'm not sure I believe Airbnb will help.  I've had to request damages and received 50% of the repair/cleaning.  

I completely agree with you James 1102!  I had over $1200 in damages and that doesn't even include the extra money the guests should have paid me because they booked for 2 guests and there were 5 of them.  I didn't even get my full security deposit!!! Airbnb is definitely not looking out for their hosts!

Hi Kathy,

Thank you thats another great way of doing it. 

Airbnb needs to include a pet fee policy that is easily found and part of the info-gathering process for guests creating their reservations.  I mention my under 30 lb. dog rule, say there is a charge in my listing. But that doesn't work unless people read through the right section. Guests book first, mention pets later-every single time. 3 times last week. I now have a guest "mentioning" they have 3 (a pack of) medium sized dogs as well as 2 other reservations with 2 and 1 dog. I've already approved the deals. Who thinks this is not important?

Airbnb must make it easy for guests and hosts to see and make decisions regarding their pets and the charges associated. I'm a big fan of transparency. I can see why Airbnb keeps this stuff hidden, making it hard to change and charge for pets. I will undo these deals, put special pricing together for guests. Guests will be upset, I will place 100% of this problem squarely on airbnb. I won't mention that our challenge is the obvious result of Airbnb's slight-of-hand, bait-and-switch tactic but I will insist they pay more-for deposit and rental. I will encourage them to rate Airbnb accordingly. Pets should be handled exactly like extra guests. Put an extra space for pets so guests can fill out the form acuratly BEFORE host recieve it-and Airbnb's insistence that we move fast to accept every deal that comes our way. I'm kind of new at this, but I know a dirty trick when I see it. If anyone reads this, please do not patronize my very legit gripe with "you're the only one who..." or "all you have to do is create a special offer..." or "Dogs? No one ever travels with dogs". Give me a break.

Hi, Tim

i agree, AirBnb does not make it easy for homeowners to request money for pets. I do mention in our house rules that we charge a $50 Pet Fee and most of the time guests have been up front with me about bringing their pets. However, the only way to get the money is through Airbnb ‘s Resolution Center. When I put in my request through the Resolution Center, I ALWAYS say to the guest: “Unlike other vacation rental sites (such as HomeAway, VRBO) Airbnb does not provide homeowners a prompt for this fee and I must go through their Resolution Center.” The guests have been very understanding and have no problem paying the fee. Hopefully, AirBnb will take the hint! Oh, and they’ll probably edit my response because I mentioned those other 2 sites!

EVERYONE I've spoken with at AirBnb (NONE in SF) acted like they'd never heard of this problem before!  Their suggestion that we go through their "resolution center" each time is just STUPID.  They told me I "could just collect it myself" and I nearly fell over laughing.  Why don't they want their 3% of this and worse yet it's NOT rocket science.  I'm so very glad I got on this forum for the first time.  I feel a little less crazy and know now that its 100% my responsibility - oh yeh don't forget to turn off their fast booking option which they push so hard!  

THANK YOU ALL

I have spoken to reps at Airbnb about adding pet fees numerous times and they tell me every time that it is being looked at and considered. I have been a host for over 10 years and until last year advertised on VRBO solely. There’s a place to add the fee on as well as leave your pet rules at the same option.

@Jeannie-B-0  how do you like Airbnb vs. VRBO.  WIth all my issues being able to collect security deposits I am tempted to try VRBO. I would love to hear your thoughts!

@Jeannie-B-0  how do you like Airbnb vs. VRBO.  With all my issues being able to collect security deposits I am tempted to try VRBO. I would love to hear your thoughts!