PLEASE HELP! AirBnb Ridiculous Extenuating Circumstance Policy - Super Host Here - FRAUD!

Eric-and-Brooke0
Level 4
Saint Petersburg, FL

PLEASE HELP! AirBnb Ridiculous Extenuating Circumstance Policy - Super Host Here - FRAUD!

Hey everyone!  We are trying to reach out to other hosts to help us with a situation we are currently dealing with.  We are Super Hosts and have a strict cancellation policy in place due to several instances in the past where guests have canceled last minute and we were not able to re-book those dates.  We are consistently 95% booked all year round, hence the strict cancellation policy.  We had a guest book $1450 worth of dates but then cancel well beyond our strict cancellation window.  The guest was refunded half of the reservation per our strict cancelation policy.  He then reached out to me asking for a full refund.  I told him that I would consider this request IF we were able to re-book those dates with other guests.  The dates that he originally booked were the only open dates over a 3 month span and we were not able to re-book due to it being a last minute cancellation. So instead of being out $1450, we were out $725.  The guest still requested we give him the remaining refund because he had to cancel this reservation because a continuous education class he was going to attend was cancelled.  I appologized to the guest, but told him that I think it is fair that we split the difference because I was unable to book these dates, and was still ultimately losing money because of his cancellation.  The guest then escalated the case to Airbnb.  

I received a phone call almost 2 months after this reservation from an Airbnb representative stating the guest is still requesting the full refund.  I stated that this was almost 2 months ago and had no idea this was even still an issue because 1.) the guest agreed that a full refund would be considered if I booked those dates, 2.) I was protected by the strict cancellation policy, and 3.) the amount of time that has passed.  The representative (Hazzle) was extremely RUDE, unprofessional, arguementative, and tried to coerce me into refunding the guest throughout the entire conversation.  She was trying to put words into my mouth the entire conversation and was using intimadation techniques stating that it is our obligation to refund the guest and repeating that a "real" super host would "do the right thing and issue the refund."  Rather than trying to understand our point of view and hear both sides of the story, she was one sided the entire conversation even though we are the SUPER HOSTS and this guest had 0 reviews.  Why would she only be concerned with making the guest happy and not a host that has been a super host for over a year?!  I thought splitting the difference 50/50 was more than fair instead of 100% in either direction.  I told her that I was willing to work with the guest even though I did not technically  have to IF we booked those dates.  She continued to put pressure on me throughout the conversation but ulitmately told me it was up to me, but that she had confidence that I would make the "right" decsision and do the "right" thing, as any other super host would. 

A couple of weeks later I get an EMAIL stating that Airbnb had ruled in the guest's favor and issued the guest a full refund.  I immediately responded asking Hazzle for an explanation, and she replied via email that the guest provided appropriate paperwork that fell into the extenuating circumstances clause (which supercedes the strict cancellation policy).  This was the same documentation that was submitted weeks ago when the orignal case was open at the same time I spoke with her over the phone, and she did not mention anything at that time about the documentation qualifying for the extenuating circumstances clasue. Furthermore, the document provided by the guest was simply a generic letter stating the employer canceled the continous classes and apologizing for any inconveninces this may have caused the employees.  The employer in this case is the Canadian government and the guest was traveling to Florida for the class.  I immediately replied to Hazzle's response asking her to please call me to discuss the situation over the phone and at least offer me an explanation of why she felt it qualified as an exenuating circumstance.  She replied that she is disengaging from this email chain and refused to call me stating that the decision was already made and was now irreversible.  I replied back immediately asking her one more time to please give me a call and that it is extremely unprofessional to just make a decision via email and not honor my request to speak with her over the phone regarding the matter.  I called the Airbnb superhost hotline right away requesting to speak to a manager/supervisor and was told nobody was around and that someone would call me back.  Fast forward 5 days later and 3 call backs by me and I can not get a supervisor to even call me back.  Keep in mind that the government paid for the guest's trip and the trip that he had to re-book at a later date so the guest was NEVER out of pocket for anything.  The money that he received as a refund from this booking went directly into his pocket and then booked other dates at a future time that the government paid for.  So the guest personally profited $1450 and we are out $1450.  

I am absolutely appalled that this is how Airbnb is treating Super hosts, or any hosts for that matter.  Why do we have cancellation policies?  Why do we bother doing everything we can to go above and beyond for our guests and earn super host status when this company does not have our back?  Why should someone that is employed by the government have special privileges and our cancelation polices do not apply to them.  Does this mean I should never accept a government employee's reservation since they are above the law?  Now, I feel as though their inadequate system is encouraging discrimination, which goes against my personal beliefs and the mission statement Airbnb has clearly laid out to all hosts across the world. It is not fair that government employees and military personnel get this special treatment. If I booked an Airbnb with a strict cancellation policy for a work conference in California for my job but I cancel a few days before because of a work conflict, would this too fall under their extenuating circumstances policy (if I was able to provide documentation stating that my employer changed the travel dates)? Or did this guest receive preferential treatment because he happend to be a government/military employee? I've read through the extenuating circumstances policy and the list of reasons that qualify does not include anything about work conflicts. The types of circumstances that they outline in the written policy and deem valid include (and are limited to): -Unexpected death or serious illness of a host, guest, or immediate family member, -Serious injury that directly restricts a guest's ability to travel, - Significant natural disasters or severe weather incidents impacting the location of destination or location of departure, -Urgent travel restrictions or severe security advisories issued after the time of booking, by an appropriate nation or internation authority, -Endemic disease declared by a credible national or internation authority, -Severe property damage or unforseen maintenance issues that directly impact the ability to host safely, -Government-mandated obligations issued after the time of booking (ex: jury duty).

We rely on this income to help pay our mortgage and it is absurd that AirBnb would do this to a host that has represented their company in a very professional and positive manner.  I apologize for the lengthly post and we really appreciate any help or insight from other hosts.  I am not going to give up until this matter is resolved.  Thank you!

150 Replies 150
Elias40
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

The main issue is the policy is flawed. My question is, to what extent will the EC policy cover a guest?! I had a booking of 2 weeks long worth thousands of dollars (big money). After how many thousands of dollars or after how many weeks will the EC POLICY cover a guest? Is it limitless?

in my situation the guest decided to cancel after 9 days into a 2 week reservation. What if the reservation was 6 months and they cancelled after 3 months and they fell back on the EC policy. Is that fair? It would be a $100k loss for me. When is enough, enough?!?!

@Elias40

The policy is flawed and unfair, and indeed it could be limitless.   Ask airbnb if you can place in your house rules the requirement of travelers insurance and that the guests must provide proof of insurance for stays that are at a length that is concerning to you for loss of income maybe also offer a discount once they show you the policy (of course that is not fair either atleasr it cuts your downside risk basically you will be funding part of their insurance).

Hosts should not be placed in this situation.

From the original post, I love the following statement...

"So the guest personally profited $1450."

How is getting your money back from not utilizing a service equate to profit?

What would you have done if the renter had used colorful language in a threat to damage your house? You would have cancelled their reservation and banned them from AirBnB.

Strict cancellation policies are insane and quite easy to circumvent if properly motivated. Circumstances change, plans change. If you want to act like a hotel, embrace the concept of financial uncertainty and vacancy rates.

AND, the landing page of the website (1st page) should state your home has a Strict Cancel policy. It shouldn't legally be allowed to say Free Cancellation next to how many stars you have and that you're a Super Host. That Free Cancellation note is impossibly misleading and factually untrue. Burying the actual cancellation policy on page 3 is horribly unethical.

Renting your house out to internet strangers... also insane.

Get a better job if you need to make more money.

Hey Pete,

If you enjoy traveling on Airbnb perhaps you could develop a little empathy for hosts. Many of us won't stick around for long if these policies continue.

Airbnb started as a HOME SHARING platform. I host a suite in my home.

I don't want to "act like a hotel". Everyone from my local city clerk to the state tax administrators understands the difference and categorize us separately in everything from buidling codes to taxes.

What makes you think hotels, vacation rentals, hostels, and tourist homes are all exactly the same?

Just because fast food exists doesn't mean fine dining needs to act like them. I don't order at Morton's and then expect my meal to arrive 2 minutes later as if it were McDonald's. Likewise, hotels offer things I don't like room service, a pool, and flexible cancelations. If you want those amenities STAY AT A HOTEL.

A hotel offers flexible refunds because they have 100 rooms and 1 fewer booked for the night means their occupancy rate drops from 72% to 71%. They'll still cover their expenses to keep the doors open.

I don't have 100 rooms. I have one. With an EC cancellation my occupancy rate (and therefore earnings) drops from 100% to 0%. No business allows late cancellations under those circumstances. It's akin to asking for a refund on your event venue; after holding the dates for months they're not returning your money when you cancel with a few days' notice.

Get a better job if you need to make more money.

Way to go - I don't think you could have made that statement more condescending or dismissive of your fellow humans' legitimate beef with this bad policy. But to be clear, we're not asking for "more money" we're asking to be fairly compensated under the CONTRACTUAL terms both guest and host entered at booking without Airbnb intervening to provide full refunds under this bad EC policy.

If you dislike Airbnb hosts (we're all INSANE!) so much, why are you on this community forum?

Airbnb has gotten to big for their “britches”. I think it’s time homeowners need to look into a class action lawsuit against them. I currently have a guest whose girlfriend’s Grandmother supposedly died and even though his employer was sending him and 3 other guys out to a job he is now claiming everyone has to miss the job and not stay at the home because of his GF grandmother? The story doesn’t add up and if Airbnb simply wants a obituary as proof of extenuating circumstances then anyone can pull up an obit online and get refunded in full. This guest has now cost me over 2 months rent and now I’m having trouble booking anyone for the same time period. We have contractors who come to the area twice a year and unless we can book someone when they first get here then it’s almost impossible to get anyone booked for several months. I was stupidly giving the guy a special rate and terms for a long term rental and now Airbnb is saying it’s only a short term rental when it was for over 2 months once he arrived. He booked the first week to hold the home and then was going to book weekly for the duration. Never again will I try to assist someone and I’m really thinking about closing down all my rentals on Airbnb. It’s not worth dealing with them. 

Airbnb management is growing through an educational process.  Unfortunately, there are more mature business minds and models that are "paying for" their student loans.  The main issue is that Airbnb does not understand that binding reservation contracts are not subject to emotionalism.  Otherwise, what good would they be?  Contracts need to be honored and should not be subject to whims (extenuating circumstances).  It would be very, very easy for guests to arrange for trip insurance.........Airbnb should facilitate that process instead of leaving us hosts holding the bag for idiotic, unwarranted breaches of booking contracts.  C'mon folks at Airbnb.....go back to high school business law class, or alternatively contract with one of millions of right minded business consultants who will apply law and equity to your business mode.  Geez......it ain't rocket science dudes and dudettes!  $1,000,000 consulting fee and I will guartantee to grow Airbnb by 200% to 500% and at the same time will straighten things out with your most valued asset - your hosts!!!!

Jay

Kasia42
Level 1
Baltimore, MD

Guests now know how to use extenuating circumstances in a fraudulent way!

my guest used flu/virus season to get out of reservation. 

Flu / virus season is everywhere. 

I provided the latest link on the situation in Sayulita from respectable source. It is not some review from some guest that got sick on their trip for whatever reason. It clearly shows the situation. There is absolutely no warnings from government not to travel to my destination.  

At this point, if Airbnb reps provide a full refund for a flu/virus season, they are essentially setting all Airbnb hosts at risk of always loosing money on every reservation because flu/virus season is EVERYWHERE we travel to! It is in the US, Canada, Europe, etc. It’s a known fact that flu and virus always happens in the winter months at high traveled times. It happens every year. This is not a new information. The guest had plenty of time do do research on the place and that’s why they booked months in advance!!! Why did she wait 4 days before the trip to cancel the reservation?  That’s not fair to the host to loose money on reservation (even with strict policy) because the guest did not provide enough time to rebook therefore should be penalized.   It’s part of traveling/going to places. It is not specific to the town. You can get flu/virus anywhere you travel to. If Airbnb wants to provide a full refund out of their pocket that’s their choice. Hosts have rules for a reason and bypassing them by is not fair ESPECIALLY since Airbnb representative Jeffrey,  NEVER HEARD MY SIDE OF THE STORY!!! He automatically sided with a guest!!! That is NOT FAIR!!! 

Kyle316
Level 2
Winchester, WI

So I am fairly new to this, and fairly sure I just got cancelled on by experts in using the EC policy. Was contacted by the "husband" on an account who had great reviews who asked all the questions about the property, he then said his wife would book it, then the "wife" booked in on a separate account which had 0 reviews. They canceled the trip the day before, I did received the money into my account, and now they are requesting a refund using the EC policy, they also provided a doctors note which was dated well before the check in date but after the scheduling date. I rejected the refund request which I am assuming I will lose based on reading this thread.

I did talk to and Airbnb representative via chat, who said it will be evaluated but Airbnb would likely refund them and I would keep the money, anyone heard of that? I have a feeling it was a lie to get out of the conversation 

Yes, you will lose.  Airbnb will take the money out of your future revenue and you can't do or say anything.  Welcome to airbnb!  Where the guest is always right, even when they aren't and it is against policy.  

That is frustrating, especially with it being obvious that this group is an expert in utilizing the EC policy, oh well probably won't be the last time this happens 

Crystalyn1
Level 1
New York, NY

We’re also long time super hosts and this same thing is happening to us now- regarding a guests extenuating circumstances claim. I’m not adverse to someone actually having this happen but I feel like this is the whole reason we have Airbnb to insure the trip. My guest canceled less than 24 hours before, I had to give up two trips for the reservation AND already had to pay my housekeeper for the turn. I thought 50% was MORE than fair and was doing the right thing-which we ALWAYS do. Now they’re telling me if they decide it, I’ll have to come out of pocket for this trip and pay a full refund? Isn’t that what they should be covering us for? I’ve had to cancel trips before to other homes and I’ve paid the full amount, never once complained. It’s really upsetting to me that I’m losing over $1000 in unbookable fees plus my $200 housekeeper cost. Outrageous. Anyone found any relief in going back to Airbnb and making a claim in reverse for money lost on a reservation? Thanks all. 

Airbnb does not consider any costs with preparation or lost revenue- I tried to argue my case that was almost identical to yours, they just give you generic response trying to end the conversation. My guests used a doctors note from way before the reservation but cancelled the day before and Airbnb took their side

Johan--Elmarie-and-Nandi0
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Extenuating circumstances; right or wrong is not the issue. The real issue?

Airbnb treat hosts like ground troops in war. Fodder. A few host casualties are not an issue. In their war to make money you are dispensible. 

Airbnb can protect the host with travel insurance but that's too complicated and it's easier and free to sacrifice hosts.

Airbnb hosts have no power. They have no bargaining power. They are disjointed and there is no way to easily make them a powerful group. 

Think if a couple if million hosts decides to delist their properties for a few weeks. 

Gina136
Level 4
Watertown, MA

This is so discouraging! I was hoping to find a more positve experience from Hosts about this but I'm dismayed to see that, uniformly, the Hosts have no leverage or say on the matter.

I'm in a similar situation as Eric and Brooke in that I have strict policy (which is important in my particular geographic area and market) and that cancellations of any multi-week stay are very damaging to the ability to re-book.

I have just been notified that one of my cancelling guests has provided sufficient documentation to have the extenuating policy apply.

I thought I would be able to see that documentation, but that's not the case. AirBnB is not a transparent system -- decisions are made under the hood or somehow by functions of their software system that AirBnB "can't override", and there seems to be little a host can do!!!

This guest had initially asked to cancel because a distant relative (needless to say, not a member of the traveling party) got sick and the guest had then to take care of his dog. How is that an extenuating circumstance under AirBnB policies?!?!?  I have asked AirBnB to provide the documentation (after all, I am the affected party under their policy), to no avail.

I agree that should another competitor company set up an alternative platform to AirBnB, things might turn around, as the system is now heavily biased toward the Guests, which does not escape any Host with enough time operating with AirBnB.

😞

Az2
Level 3
Huntington Beach, CA

At the end of the day, it is what it is. Don't promise any kind of refund and make sure to lower last minute prices to get booked. This is what we can do. We are now expecting huge cancelations because of coronavirus. Although this is again not what policies say. But I am pretty sure airbnb will back almost half of guests on this.