Problems with hair in your listing? SOLVED!!!

Alexis-and-Momo0
Level 4
Belfast, United Kingdom

Problems with hair in your listing? SOLVED!!!

As hosts, I think we can all agree that hair is one of our worst enemies. You can wash the bed linens 100 times and hair will still be embedded in them. As someone who has been a guest several times, I know there is nothing worse than finding someone else's hair all over you. So as a host I've tried my best to make sure that my guests don't have to deal with this. I can't even tell you how many unsuccessful methods we tried; at one point we even tried to vacuum the linens (I know, how embarrassing right?). Thankfully, my husband and I discovered THE solution to this problem and it has made our lives so much easier.

Two words for you - LINT ROLLERS! I honestly don't know why we didn't think of this before but I am grateful that we at least figured it out sooner rather than later. Now, once we put the clean fresh linens on the bed, we go through and use the lint rollers on the sheets, duvet cover, pillow cases, and towels, and the amount of hair (and lint) that comes out will seriously blow your mind! Aside from doing the linens, I've realized the the lint rollers work great for dusting as well! Instead of using a duster or a towel to dust (which typically just brushes the dust into the air and blows it somewhere else) the lint rollers actually collect the dust way more effectively.

All in all, I have come to seriously appreciate the invention of the lint roller and I don't think I will ever be able to live without them! I just had to post this because it helped me so much and I know that there are others that will find this tip extremely useful.

53 Replies 53

@Alexis-and-Momo0   Great tip.  Another one for carpets and rugs is to use a damp mop before vacuuming. It picks up all the hair, far more than my supercharged vacuum, which happily sucks large loose tiles off the floor!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ange @Alexis-and-Momo0 @Lawrene0 @Linda108 @Clara116

I found that out on Friday @Ange!

I have had an issue at Meals on Wheels where one of my kitchen volunteers who does really great work in the branch systemically borrows money from not just me, but other branch volunteers. 

It all started off so innocently...'Can you spot me 10 until monday', but week after month it streadily increased...she always pays it back, I have never considered it a risk, but she consistently borrows $50 per week now. 

Our fear is that she may be gambling and we could be enabling her, so it has to stop...but it is hard to stop that freight train that is rolling along. The last thing I ever want to do is upset or embarrass her. But she does leaflet letterbox drops to supplement her pension and she is a hard worker...and I found out on Friday, she is a good cleaner!

Last Friday (after a poor star rating for cleanliness the week before) I offered this woman the opportunity to help with my cottage servicing as I have so many one nighters and I am finding it harder by myself. She jumped at the opportunity particularly the $30 per turnaround that I offered her.

I got the Dyson stick out and she said.."No before you do that, you go over the carpet with a damp mop, let me show you"! And Ange, I was amazed at the difference.

Good on you girl, great tip.

Cheers....Rob

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Good tip!  Being aware of this level of detail is a great trait in a Super Host 😄

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Alexis-and-Momo0Hey I just assumed every host was using the lint rollers....they are fabulous and the critical part of detail and clean up before the guest arrives... it is amazing how much and many hairs every time....yep, sheets, pillows, coverlets, quilts, everything gets rolled. And YES they are great for dusting. Looks like we , might do a thread on important cleaning tips or such. Or everything I've learned about cleaning and hosting. happy hosting, clara

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Clara116

Personally I have always found a 'leafblower' does a pretty good job of getting rid of unwanted things Clara....:-))

In fact I have put up a few constructive uses for a leafblower on another post!!

Cheers.....Rob

Catherine827
Level 10
Northern Territory, Australia

Bahahahaha! 

The removal of late departing guests?  Lol... seriously, just joking! 

Now this is funny......

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I buy high quality sheets and I've never had a problem with hair. I co-host for a home that buys crappy sheets from Walmart and I am constantly vacuuming the hair off.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Emilia42

Spot on Emilia!

When I read this thread I thought...gee what am I missing here, I don't have that problem and I host lots of Asian guests and the shower and bathroom floor come in for a bit of special attention when it come to hair but I would not tollerate one on the linens of a freshly made bed...and my bed is my statement piece.

But I do a couple of things....I clean the washing machine filter before every wash and I have high end high thread count cotton sateen sheets, and I won't say I have never found a hair or two, but gee it is a rare find when I do get one!

Cheers.....Rob

Wait!  Washing machines have filters?   Where is it located?

my errant hairs lurk in the bathroom and some people seem to shed like Retrievers.

I rarely find one on the bedding  although I do use the lint roller just in case I am missing one with my old eyes. @Robin0

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Amy38

How are you going Amy, I love seeing all your contributions and, like me, you probably feel at times you could be doing something better with your time! :-))

To clean the filter my washer has a plate that runs the width of the machine at its base and this panel just clips off and on. Behind this panel there is a filter basket that unscrews to remove the filter!

What collects in that is gross!! Before each wash I just do that as a matter of course. Every now and then I will find a metal screw or a glider clip or some other thing that would not do the pump the world of good if it went throught it!

The other thing I do Amy is, whenever possible I always dry my linens for 30 minutes in a commercial dryer. The heat generated there is enough to make sure no bedbugs can possibly survive. 

I don't do it every time but I do stress to younger travellers that bedding hygiene is really important to make sure nothing is transfered from guest to guest.

My time answering questions made me afraid I will strike that one traveller who will close my listing down by introducing bedbugs, and that this will not be the listing to try it out on!

Cheers.....Rob

Hi Rob, thanks. This is new to me too! Fyi, here's how I help prevent bedbugs in mattresses and box springs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01413355S/ref=asc_df_B01413355S5482197?tag=shopz0d-20&ascsubtag=shopzilla...

@Emilia42 wrote:

I buy high quality sheets and I've never had a problem with hair. I co-host for a home that buys crappy sheets from Walmart and I am constantly vacuuming the hair off.

High quality linens & towels are key. Guests notice that extra touch & helps towards that 5 star rating. Plus less hair problem especially as si am pet friendly. I buy lint rollers by the case! 

Renee, I hadn't given a lot of thought to the towels. Mine are pretty and color coordinated, but again, I buy from Walmart, lol. What sort of high quality towels would you suggest? I've just bought some great new sheets, so perhaps I should get matching towels. Thanks for pointing that out!

Shushannah