Package sent to guest at host's home... input/advice welcome!

Hillaire0
Level 1
Ewa Beach, HI

Package sent to guest at host's home... input/advice welcome!

I have a guest who checked in a few nights ago. Solo occupant -- staying for 8 days. I asked him in passing  what he does for a living. He was vague ( something about "fulfillment shipping on the secondary market -- mostly through Amazon and Ebay"). 

Doorbell just rang and there's a priority overnight package addressed to him and delivered to my house. (He did not ask.) 

Does this seem weird to anyone else? Is it normal to get packages delivered to a host's house -- especially without asking and coordinating? Am I being unreasonable feeling uncomfortable with him receiving packages at my house?

Inputs from all sides -- and past experierence -- welcome!

Thanks!!

30 Replies 30
Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

I've had guests ship things like Golf Clubs, Musical Instruments, and even luggage to themselves because they prefer it to the added fees the airlines impose, and the hassle of waiting around the baggage carousel for their things to arrive before lugging it all to the rental car. They drop it off at FedEx or the Post Office a day or two before they get on the plane, so that the things arrive the day after they get here.  And, I've had guests staying for several weeks buying crap they think they need on Amazon, receiving packages day after day for much of their stay. The packages stop coming a day or two before they leave.  It doesn't bug me.

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Hillaire0 Unlike @Mark26, I would not feel comfortable with a short-term guest receiving packages at my house - especially without asking first to make sure it was ok. One of my first guests purchased a storage unit and used my address on their account. I received notice after notice saying they owed money. So annoying. 

A black magic marker obliterating your address, and the words "Not At This Address" printed on the envelope before you stuff it back into the mailbox with the flag up  for the postman will do the trick.

I am absolutely against guests receiving mail of any kind at my home. I have a guest booking for three months November to February. How much do you want to bet, she put in a change of address to my home that she took from her itinerary. Needless to say that this matter was immediately quashed, as allowing any one to receive mail in your home for opens the door to adverse possession (squatter's rights). Be careful. Folks are quite slick.

Adverse possession?  That takes 5 years without any attempt by the property owner to quash!

However,  addresses are often used as proof of residency / tenancy.  I  would not want that.

I agree @Cynthia-and-Chris1!  I just had a guest receive a package delivered to my home without my permission, and it makes me feel uncomfortable. There are plenty of stores around here and they were checking out the next day. They could’ve waited.

Regina38
Level 10
Wilmington, DE

Airbnb reccomends you do not allow guests to recieve mail or packages of any kind at your property. I have it in my house rules and supply the info for 2 mailbox companies within walking distance and suggest that they use amazon locker service. If a package comes or mail I return it. If it has contraband or other illegal items you could be held responsible and even arrested, plus the annoyance of continually getting junk mail in their name for the next 20 years. 

I also have a rule against excessive trash so they don't fill my trash cans with tons of poo packaging. 

@Regina38 Good to know. And you offered a great solution. Thanks! 

Thank you! I am working on getting brochures from the mailbox places and the wash/dry/fold laundry that delivers for the unit that doesn't have laundry in unit. 

@Regina38 Do you have a link to the Airbnb policy?  Swear I found it when you posted the above,  but I can't find it now.

Steve2743
Level 10
Calgary, Canada

I don't think it's all that weird. I had a couple who were moving here from South America, who had their government documents mailed to my address. They didn't have a Canadian data plan yet, and so weren't able to inform me until they got back to my place, so I was pretty understanding. 

That said, they did inform me as soon as they were able. I think it's just common courtesy to inform the host at some point before it arrives. 

Steve

We have had several long term guests and will be now that we are doing mostly that type of rental.  We have allowed them to use our address BUT only after they ask permission.  Your guest did not ask and that would have made me feel upset.  All of our guests have asked and we have given permission.  We really don't get much junk mail from it and if we do it goes in the recycle bin.  Once someone received an important letter and I just sent them an email through Airbnb and they told me where to forward.  It is a personal decision and could cause issues in certain areas of the country.

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

Guests should definitely ask first because it's truly outside the scope of a room rental. I don't have a house rule because it comes up so infrequently (most of my guests are 2-3 night), but yeah - I'm renting a couple rooms, not running a mailbox service!

One group asked to have some things sent to my house. They were expats, coming back to the states for a wedding, and the boxes were from Amazon. In their situation I had no problem with it - espeically because they were polite about the request, thoughtful on the timing, and left it open for me to refuse.

"fulfillment shipping on the scondary market"? Nnnnoooo. That could be seriously sketchy, so I understand your discomfort. Any kind of shipping/receiving that involves bills, questionable vendors, or government residency/benefits would be definite "No" from me.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I have had a few guests ~ASKED~ if it is ok to receive ~A~ pachage while staying. Not a problem. The operative word being 'asked' and 'a' pachage, and it always turned out to be a document of sort, like Visas for their next leg of travcel or such things.