Packed up the Airbnb This Week

Tracey---Bryan0
Level 5
Los Angeles, CA

Packed up the Airbnb This Week

Well, we had our last guests this week.

Los Angeles has made it illegal to have an Airbnb out of any space that is not your primary residence. It's such a HUGE loss for travellers and hosts alike (in one of the top tourist destinations in the world). It's been a great two years with pretty wonderful guests for the most part. I've learned a ton from you all here, so thank you! I have such deep respect for all it takes to be a host and provide a wonderful experience for people.

Hope to return to hosting at a later date in a place more STR-friendly

Cheers!

- Tracey

69 Replies 69
Dana225
Level 3
San Diego, CA

Have you thought about purchasing a vacation rentable (properly zoned) property somewhere else?

I'm sure they haven't because the "up and coming" neighborhoods are the ones being milked by Airbnb investors. Ain't no fast money in the properly zoned (aka the middle and upper class) areas. Only in the inner city abutting the cool hip neighborhoods. The ones with no established recent history of residents able to protect themselves from exploitation.  

Tee6
Level 2
Maryland, United States

I have felt and voiced for a very long time that Air Bnb only worries about Air Bnb.  They are very lax about protecting hosts and upholding protections for hosts such as deposits, penalty fees etc. The pressure they put on to lower rates is ridiculous especially when they know nothing about comparable properties....and their super host “bonus” which is of no use when you have a seasonal property....This thread seems to state and hint at others experiencing the same from Air Bnb. Their greed and irresponsibility will “shoot the pooch” and do them in. Without hosts there is no Air Bnb.

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

I think the bubble is about to burst with airbnb it is illegal here in Thailand but it still goes on, for now earnings from me this year for airbnb are down 50% we see no movement

hello @Sudsrung0 

I appreciate in Thailand challenging laws can be difficult because of traditional ruling and respect and penalties imposed if laws are broken, however with the internet it's made it so much easier to have a conversation about issues that impact on the wider community.

Have you considered grouping together in a way that the positives of ABB are presented to your Governance and address the issue that way?

Look for 'grey areas' in Laws that are commonplace worldwide for those who offer accommodation through ABB and use those  as examples to set a change in the way the country approaches the issues at stake.

I appreciate that would take courage in your situation.

When I used to host English Language school students in days gone by I was privileged to host many people from Thailand so learnt about the politics and culture and understand that it may be a bit more challenging in Thailand.

As a woman I hope you find the strength & courage to take the issues on and pave the way for future generations.

All the Best

Central To All Home & Location

Remuera

Auckland, New Zealand

The bubble will burst in the next recession.  Airbnb exists merely by economy of scale and based upon discretionary spending income.  Such income plummets in recessions. 

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

It's a war against tourism. As for the rest of us hosts who are running Airbnb's out of our home residences, we will be jacking up our prices to take advantage of the favorable supply & demand situation. I'm only open during the Summer but next year I'm thinking that I'll be able to rise my prices an extra 5% or more plus another 5% due to inflation.

Emma2024
Level 2
Auckland, NZ

@Tracey---Bryan0  Wow just found this post when googling to try and find the Bungaloft Airbnb listing. My partner and I stayed with you in 2018 and had a fantastic time and you were amazing hosts and we were hoping to stay with you again. You don’t perhaps still do vacation rentals at the bungaloft through something other than Airbnb do you?

Thanks so much Emma for your kind words. We loved hosting and loved having you! We do not use any other platform. All the best. -Tracey

Samantha1238
Level 2
Topanga, CA

Hi Tracey

I'm in the process of fighting the str ordinance that unincorporated los angeles county is trying to enact.  Do you have any tips?  Know how to get in touch with a large group of airbnb hosts?

Thank you!!!

Sam