Paid by airbnb community to answer survey, is it true?

Andrea1007
Level 2
Finale Ligure, Italy

Paid by airbnb community to answer survey, is it true?

Good morning I recently received emails from airbnb, via airbnb Wyatt Hayman (reply to:  w@airbnb.com), to join a Community Panel. Since in the mail it is also indicated that I would be remunerated for the time I will dedicate, I wonder if anyone knows something.

The first mail was correct, indicating a Community Liguria, where I actually operate as Host. Then in the confirmation email we talk about Community Panel Sidney. It seems like a refusal, but it looks strange. I answered to the indicated mail and no one responds. I asked for airbnb assistance but they say that community is a thing by itself and they do not know anything about it.

Has anyone ever heard of it?

Thanks Andrea

17 Replies 17

@Andrea1007 - no.  It's probably a scam.  What address did the email come from? 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/971/how-do-i-know-if-an-email-is-really-from-airbnb

the email comes from noreply@qemailserver.com

Look at the server it came from - it has nothing to do with airbnb, I'm afraid.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Mara106
Level 1
Finale Ligure, Italy

Ciao Andrea, anch io host come te, stesso paese. Ho ricevuto una mail tipo la tua ma nn riesco a contattare gli host Liguria e entrare online nelle discussioni. Dalla procedura dove mi si chiede di procedere nn succede nulla. E successo pure a te?

Mike170
Level 2
Vientiane, Laos

Whilst the e-mail does not come from a recognised Airbnb address (which is very odd) Wyatt Hayman does work for Airbnb, according to his LinkedIn profile.  That, of course, does not mean that the message comes from Wyatt Hayman.  

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Alice-and-Jeff0 @Mike170 @Mara106 @Andrea1007

Some of you may no longer be active on the CC but, this information covers the topic and is important!

Airbnb do pay users for their time in research with the development team.

I received an email requesting a one on one video interview with one of the research assistants which I accepted. A time was arranged and I received a $100 US Amazon gift card for my time and effort. So, it does happen.

But the initial communicae was from a genuine Airbnb address and it is wise to aquaint yourself with legitimate email address and what may be fake addresses. 

In genuine emails from Airbnb, you will be directed to a web page with a webb address in the address line and that address will start with a small green padlock and/or the word secure, as per this screenshot....

Genuine listing.png

If it is a scam or fake listing the address line will start like this

Fake 3.png

Always check the address line of any web page you are asked to open and respond to, and establich that it is genuine.

Here is a list of current genuine email addresses! If you email is not from one of these, it will be from a party operating outside the  umbrella of Airbnb.

Fake email addresses.png

I hope this information helps....

Cheers.......Rob

Mike170
Level 2
Vientiane, Laos

Thank you for this response, Robin.  The block entitled 'Learn to Identify Fraudulent emails' is especially helpful.  I note that it contains, under the head 'Real Airbnb Email' the address 'noreply@qemailserver.com' which is the address from which these survey messages have been coming.  That makes me feel a little more comfortable, having spent several months replying to Wyatt Hayman's survey messages from that address.  Though it is strange that it does not contain the word airbnb. 

Nonetheless, I am following up with Airbnb directly.  

Thanks again, Robin, for taking the time to respond.

Mike

Mike170
Level 2
Vientiane, Laos

I have never noticed before, but I see that some correspondents in this thread are denoted as 'Level 1', others 'Level 2', and yet others 'Level 10'.  What does this mean?  

Mike

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Mike170,

Nice to meet you. 

The levels displayed are based on your activity here in the Community Center, ie. how many posts, kudos, accepted solutions etc. 

I hope this helps.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Dear Lizzie (in cold London, UK)

Thank you for your help.

Is there anywhere where one can see the criteria for achieving these different levels?  And what follows from being on each of the various levels?  

Thank you very much

Mike (in warm and sunny Vientiane, Lao PDR) 

@Mike170   Nothing follows. It means nothing. Post here 5 times a day for a week and you'll be Level 10. ( that's not the criteria, I just made that up, but that's more or less the jist of it)

DearSarah

OK.  I understand.

Thank you very much.  

Mike

Mike170
Level 2
Vientiane, Laos

Dear @Robin @Alice & Jeff @Mara @Andrea

I have had some correspondence with Romila at Airbnb Help Centre about this.  The fact is that Wyatt Hayman does work for Airbnb, he has been conducting a survey over the last several months, and this is a genuine Airbnb project.  So allay your fears.  In the message posted by Robin above, one of the e-mail addresses given in the right-hand side of the table is noreply@qemailserver.com, which is the address used by Wyatt in this process.  Why it should not contain a reference to Airbnb is a mystery!

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Mike170

Yes, Airbnb has been paying hosts to participate in their surveys for years. 

Despite the fact that "compensating" or paying research participants raises serious ethics questions, and that incentive payments are considered by many highly respected research bodies and committees as being coercive, and/or as exerting undue influence on potential participants’ decisions about whether to take part in research, the company still chooses to engage in this rather dubious practice.

No surprises there - ethics aren't really Airbnb's fortè.