Parents booked for kids

Donna1017
Level 2
Milton, MA

Parents booked for kids

I just had a guest who stated it would be he himself, his 18 year old son and his girlfriend staying  for 4 nights. I spoke with the wife later Prior to the stay  and gave her some local information on swimming holes, I even gave them a free night! . I have a driveway security camera.... and who showed up but eight approximately 18-year-olds! That would actually have been OK if they didn’t cause damage to the sofa bed frame ( less  than 6 months old), small holes in walls, stain on carpet and obviously smoked in non smoking home ....When I called The wife back after the stay to report the damage... she lied and said she left early... ( was never there). I then spoke with the  father ( renter)  who initially said he would be paying for a new couch but then backtracked on that. There were multiple dings in the walls and some staining of the carpet. I was originally only going to charge them for the couch. Now this man wants to come to my home which is 4 hours away fromHis location to “see” the damaged sofa. The total travel time for him is 8 hours!! . I have sent pictures.  Does that sound unsafe to you? AIRBNB is saying that they don’t allow for third parties/subletting. But just because they don’t allow it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. ... not sure what recourses there is besides the request sent for damages and Airbnb to mediate if they don’t resolve. Needless to say after speaking multiple times with the renters and being blatantly lied to...I’m mad! I also don’t want to confront an angry man who drove 4 hours to see a bent sofa bed. He stated “if it’s broken , we can rectify it”  Any advise? 

5 Replies 5
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

" I then spoke with the  father ( renter)  who initially said he would be paying for a new couch but then backtracked on that." Was that went you quoted him the price? What was it? 

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Donna1017 

That would actually have been OK ..

No. This is the moment when it definitely isn't. That was your cue for firing up the flamethrower and sprinting around to your place.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Donna1017 Provided you can find at least one, preferably two friends to join you I would let the guy come and see what he says.

Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

@Donna1017 @I would also welcome the father to come down as @Mike-And-Jane0 suggest. It sounds like his child is downplaying the damage and he doesn’t know who to believe. He wants to see with his own eyes and come to his own conclusions.  If he’s willing to make that drive then he’s willing to pay for the damage. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Donna1017  As soon as you saw a pack of 18 year olds arrive with no adults, that was the moment to go over and boot them all out. It's not "okay", even if nothing gets damaged. What's the point of having cameras if you're not going to do anything when you clearly see that the guests are breaking rules?

You should report this user's account to Airbnb, telling them they scammed you, and then caused damage they won't pony up for.

I hope the communication you've been having with these people has been on the Airbnb messaging system so you have proof, rather than phone calls or texts.