Parking

Parking

Hello to everyone i hope that you are all coping well with this Covid-19 situation.

I was wondering how free parking affects booking? 
I am looking forward to your advices. 🙂

12 Replies 12
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Aleksa1  It would all depend on whether the majority of your guests drive to your place. I have a parking spot guests can use for free, but in 3 and a half years of hosting, I have only had 2 guests who arrived by car- all my other guests have flown here and taken the bus from the airport.

Of course guests prefer free amenities, but that's not always possible and most guests are understanding if they have have to pay a bit extra for something they require, as long as you make that clear in your listing info.

Thank you so much for the advice 🙂

@Aleksa1  For guests arriving by car, the value of free parking as an amenity is directly proportional to the resource scarcity of parking in your city or district. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Anonymous, @Aleksa1,

In my experience, areas that have a dearth of free parking, usually have public transportation options that are comparably less expensive that parking a vehicle (meters, monthly, or tickets).  Given that, there are some people who just want to have a car even when it's not necessary for daily life.  I remember from way in the day that I had a co-worker in San Francisco that paid a couple thousand dollars every year in parking fines, and still used MUNI to get around the city most of the time.

Nice example. The good thing is that transport links are easy accessible from the apartment. And the apartment is in the center.

There are available spots infront of apartment, so the question is, is it better to rent montly my garage or to offer it with apartment. 
That is why i am asking how much will garage increase my reservations and price.

Ofcourse there are so many factors that can influence( how much tourist come in my country by car, or are the garage and parking spots expensive, etc.)

@Aleksa1  If there are available, free parking spots in front of your building, and the area is safe to leave a car, then it doesn't seem necessary to offer your garage. But if it's possible for a guest to find that all of those spots are full, then you couldn't advertise that there was free parking. And if cars on the street may get broken into, that's not a good scenario, either.

But unless offering your garage will inconvenience you in some way, like you'd have to park your car elsewhere, it doesn't seem like it would cost you anything to offer it for free, so that may indeed make it attractive to guests.

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Aleksa1 , Everything that is considered an amenity has value, how you add that value into your listing is up to you.  Front loading it with free parking in an area parking is not usually free could get you a booking by someone that has a car and maybe even more money to pay for the total price of the stay but really doesn't have the time or interest to research and rent a space themselves.  On the other hand,  if your paying for a space that is empty most of the time, that could be cost prohibitive.   Then there is a hybrid approach where you can arrange for a space for them if they would like it with a small up charge before they book via "Special Offer", all three have a place some where but the one that works for you is based according to your specific situation.  Stay well Aleksa

Thank you for the advice 🙂

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

It depends on the location of our place.

My place is right next to the metro station and only 2 or 3 of my  guests  (total 80+ for the last year) asked about parking.

Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

I have listings in the central city where parking is a major problem and I cannot offer any free parking at all. There are some free street parking blocks around us but most are not free. I have lots of guests ask me for parking accommodation so I would assume this is a major factor in the decision making of guests.

After all I think it depends on the surrounding market and demand. If listings around yours mostly offer free parking while you don't then yours would probably be less competitive than others, but if in case the area is hot in STR market then you will still get a lot of bookings, at least in the hot season. 

I will consider that, thank you so much 🙂