Partial cancellation

Anneli7
Level 2
Deer Isle, ME

Partial cancellation

Hi! I'm pretty new to AirBnb and here's a situation that just came up: a guests asked for a change in their booking (within the 5 day span), he wanted to take the last two nights out of the reservation. If I click agree to this, does that mean that the cancellation policy applies and I get to keep the 50%? Or, is there an option for him to cancel two out of three nights?

Thanks!

8 Replies 8
Colleen47
Level 10
Frisco, CO

If you agree to an alteration you will not get the 50%. There is an option to change a reservation, both the dates as well as cost. I have shortened a trip for a guest before. In my mind some is better than none. Good luck @Anneli7

Thanks Colleen!

can the guest make a partial cancellation of their reservation?

The guest should submit an official reservation change request (not you) and then you can approve that. No cancellation policy applies to this situation.  I have asked guests to do this when they want to lengthen a trip or add a person.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Anneli7  This is usually a way for guests to get around your cancellation policy. I won't do it. They blocked my calendar all this time and chances of rebooking those 2 days will be slim to none, so they pay for them. Period. What is the purpose of your cancellation policy if you let guests work around it?

Hi, yes I understand it's a way for them to get around the policy. My question is whether the guests can cancel two out of the three nights and the cancellation policy would apply to those nights, and that I would still keep some of the money?

@Anneli7   Telll them they need to call AirBnB for those two nights to be cancelled. If you can rebook either of the days you will refund them. That way you will still get 50%. 

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

We allowed a guest to check in and then  discovered that not only did they have two adults (reservation was for one) but that they had a baby which is againest our house rules. We allowed them to stay the night and asked them to leave the next morning.   How do I unblock the calendar and refund the rest of their reservation.

@Spencer-And-Annie0   You don't they need to cancel with AirbBnB not you for the dates to be opened again. Document this in e AirBnB messaging system, i.e. per our earlier conversation to make everything clear: You booked for 1 but brought an infant and another guest, etc. etc. etc... 

FYI for now and the future:

DO NOT CANCEL a reservation, DO NOT ACCEPT any message about cancelling, changing or refunding DECLINE it a loophole that comes back to bite you and gives guests back their service fees and/or voids your cancellation policy (changing dates) or the cancellation is now on you, not the guests (accepting cancellation). DO NOT REFUND anything until actual cash has been given to you by AirBNB. If you refund they will take the money from you and a lot of times guests get refunded from both AirBnB and you if you do this, then you have a fight to get your money back. Tell the guest you do not deal with the booking funds that is all on AirBnB's end.