Party Blocker blocks legitimate booking request and the CS shops still suck!

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

Party Blocker blocks legitimate booking request and the CS shops still suck!

Heres the mall novel that I just sent to feedback my CS shop experience over the last week with a booking issue that never should have been. 

My wife and I have 2 listings that are apartments considered and categorized as "Entire Place" inside our home (we the hosts have a third suite in the home). A perspective customer was denied the ability to book according to CS because his short notice booking, young age and only 2 reviews (both good) set off the house party blocker. Note, we actually live in the home so any possible parties or partiers would be evicted by me immediately if they did somehow book. The customer tried to resolve it through the CS but was unable, I tried to resolve it through the CS phone (it dropped me 20 minutes into the call) , Then I tried the Message CS tool and after going through a host helper that tried to quote me rules that didnt apply to my situation or listing , I spoke with a CS tech that while initially didnt understand finally agreed this was a glitch but they were nat able to fix it. I was told I should have the guest call them back yet again cause this time they could do something for them, when I asked if they could possibly do the outreach, they said they couldnt do that, it wasnt in their power. I told them I would try but the guest was upset and already looking elsewhere, thats where it was left 5 days ago .

I was recontacted by CS 5 days later to try to fix this but it was too late, the customer is gone and according to them they were able to book a stay in another Airbnb, just not mine!!!!!!! I am concerned that this will prevent others that should be able to book us to not do so even though they should be able to. Also, the CS response with robo voice dropped calls, poor comprehension by CS techs and inadequate ability to correct the issue in time to save a booking was unacceptable.  Another host @Robin4  in Australia had a similar problem a month or so ago that he wrote about here.  Anyone else had this problem?   Stay well, JR

8 Replies 8
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Melodie-And-John0 Yes, I've had this problem and I have the same setup as you. I was advised by Airbnb customer service to temporarily change the listing type to private room. The guest can book, then you can change it back. It seems absolutely ridiculous that you need to do that, but it's what they told me to do and it worked. 

Wow @Alexandra316 , holy cow, how crazy is that, never considered that and Im usually the king of the workaround !  Unfortunately the CS people I spoke with didnt tell me that trick (which just goes to infuriate this already irate Inn Keeper cause they know they have an issue and havent been bothered enough to fix it!!!!!!).   This is the kinda thing that makes me think those tasked with administrating the booking engine are not the quality needed to move Airbnb forward instead of mucking around like is happening in too many areas of the service both guest and host are paying good money for.   Be well and thanks for the insight, JR

@Melodie-And-John0  Yeah, it just seems like a very Mickey Mouse workaround, and it seemed like something I shouldn't be doing. Sorry that you lost your booking, but if comes up again, hopefully it helps you out. 

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Melodie-And-John0 

I have the same set up with a guest apartment and this started happening over six months ago. A young professional messaged me that she wasn't able to book. I pre approved the dates for her inquiry, still blocked. The first CS agent told her it was the host that made the restrictions with the settings. I assured her I hadn't changed anything on my settings. She finally got in touch with another CS who and explained the new restrictions for 25 and under. She wasn't able to make the reservation on ABB.  Host should be able to approve guest 24 years old. Its hard enough for young women to find a safe place. The entire experience is demoralizing for them to have such a popular platform restrict them from using it and forcing them into less private shared spaces. As a host I wouldn't want to change the booking to private room. I'm sure a young woman would be uneasy with that and also feel an obligation to include that in the review. Their frustration would certainly be justified.   

Very frustrating @John5097 , then to be told, have the Guest call us back, thats the urine icing on the cake made of poo...

@Melodie-And-John0 

The best solution would be to include a check box that host lives at the same listing that would bypass the party filter. This past year almost all of my guest were young with zero problems. It’s also very rewarding for me to get great reviews and provide a safe place. The work around would work for other host but not for me. My entire listing is based on being safe and peaceful. The most rewarding aspect is for host and guest being able to define their own identity based on authentic reviews from each other instead of your age or gender. 

That seems to be a simple enough solution @John5097 , and to be sure, Im not against the party blocker as long as it doesnt block good bookings like this one did. 

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

I promised 2 of the 3 cs peoples I spoke with I was gonna tell their big boss  @Catherine-Powell if they somehow didnt sort out the problem, not only did they not sort out the problem, I lost the booking to another host who wasn't the guests first choice.  

]So here goes Catherine, @Robin4 reported this same issue more than a month ago, I'm reporting it today along with @Alexandra316 's corroboration that she has also experienced it and at least one of your CS folks was savvy enough to offer the workaround not the runaround like I and Rob both got when we tried to to unscrew a situation that Airbnb screwed not host nor guests fault whatsoever.   Lastly, please dont ask a host in crisis to spend important intervention time talking with another host reading out of a FAQ' list (Or a CS Tech that has to do the same because they really dont know the rules).   Also, don't have a superhost phone number that leads to a dead end and hang up, 2o minutes into the call that is frustrating and other words I cant write here.   Please fix the party filter issues and the CS Shops, im not booking enough right at the moment to lose good bookings, Stay well, JR