Paving a walkway or letting guests walk through house

Paving a walkway or letting guests walk through house

I have a private room but in order to access it, I either need to pave a new walkway or let my guest walk through my home.  I would rather not pave a new walkway since it's big $ down but I'm not sure my guests would like walking through my home.  Wife and 5 kids....would really appreciate the help.  Pave or let them walk through?  Thanks.

Ernesto

21 Replies 21
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Ernesto172 

IMO a private room in a house means access via frontdoor (or other door) of the house and walk through the house to the room, as the room is part of the house. I assume guest do not need to walk through your livingroom ? So they will be fine without "private pavement".

Best regards,

Emiel

Thanks Emiel1.  To answer your question, they do need to walk through the living room, kitchen, and secodn living room to get to the private room.  It's a 3000sqft home and the room is the last one in the back of the house.  Does that change your opinion or do you think still think there's no need for a private pavement.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Ernesto172 

I see....then there is a serious matter of privacy involved, for both host and guest, so a more private way of accessing the room would be indeed desirable !

Thank you.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

What will they be walking on if you do not pave the walkway, @Ernesto172? Grass? Dirt? Is there a reason whatever is there is not acceptable?

I ask, because access to my listing is not paved. I use chipped red cedar (it is free from our utility company) on the pathway, and it is fine. No one has complained.

Would something like that work? Is pavement really necessary?

Guests would be walking on grass.  In Florida (especailly now) it rains every day so they'd be walking on wet grass.  It's fairly even but don't want to risk someone getting hurt.

Chipped red cedar is an excellent idea and probably one that I can do myself.  Thank you.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

They will likely track a bit of it into the house, @Ernesto172 , but it is easy to sweep up.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ernesto172  My guests have access to their private room /bathroom via an outside staircase- they don't have to come through the house. I think this works really well and gives everyone more of a sense of privacy and makes the atmosphere more relaxed.

As Lawrene suggests, there are so many easy and inexpensive ways of creating a walkway- no reason it has to be paved. There are a line of DYI books called Sunset books- I used to have one on walkways. Tons of great ideas, from the fancy and expensive to the cheap and easy, but all nice. Maybe look for some books at your local library- it can be fun to pore over the different ideas and there are some things we may never have thought of. 

Good idea.  Thank you.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Are  you intending to give the guests access to your house or just the room/bathroom facilities @Ernesto172 ?

If you are giving them access to communal areas anyway, access through your house is fine.

If your intending the room to have facilties which make it self contained ie own bathroom etc, then the private path makes sense. (with appropriate lighting).

Yeah, I agree.  I really don't want to give access to communal areas.  I have 5 kids and my wife is already apprehensive on letting someone into the house. Perivate walkway it is....just gotta figure out how now.  Several people have suggested some ideas on this post.  Thank you.

Moira21
Level 8
Bispham, United Kingdom

@Ernesto172  Hi, I'm visualising the guests walking down a dark path to get access to the private room at the back of your home as I couldn't view your listing. If this is what you prefer guests to do you need to make a path for them, artificial grass or bark. If it's dark maybe some solar lighting.

I have light back there but may need to invest in a little more.  Thank you for the heads up.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Ernesto172 @Sarah977 @Lawrene0 @Emiel1 

Welcome to CC & ABB @Ernesto172  & family

In New Zealand it's quite common for people to use those slab block pavers or use what I call stepping stones.

Personally I think if you have both then it gives you & the guest of perhaps having an alternative entry & also some privacy from the back entrance, alas you will need to factor into account which keys/ entry device they will be using, if you want to know if your Guest is home etc.

Have you looked on any of the community type For Sale, Trade & exchange type of advertising platforms for stepping stones? Or made enquiries to local second hand dealers/ trades people or even garage sales/

Sometimes you can pick up paving materials for a song & they are relatively easy to lay oneself - a great family activity together - it would also give the children an outdoor activity to play on, & be a talking point amongst your family & guests that you have a bit of a dab hand at DIY.

Scout through & see what outside pavers others have in the ABB Community.

There's a Host's question I recently replied to in CC & when I recall the ladies name I'll put up the details - it's a very creative & artist property where they have used readily available materials.

All the best with Hosting & hope to be able to view your Listing next time as it's currently not linking on your Profile.

Central To All Home & Location

Central To All Home & Location