Pay per use

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Pay per use

what do fellow hosts think of the idea of piece meal pricing? If you want coffee pay a fee to have it upon arrival. if you want use of pots and pans pay a fee upon arrival; if the pots and pans are returned in the condition you received them then the fee is refunded, if not then the fee is kept by the host. if you want a continental breakfast pay a fee. if you want use of the pool or jacuzzi pay a fee. if you want use of washer and dryer pay a fee. airport pick up pay a fee. tour of the city pay a fee.  i envision this as a checklist of things people might want to add on top of their stay as the guest is checking out. as our guests get more particular this would give them options ahead of time so the host is prepared and compsenated appropriately. if billion dollar airlines can get away with this technique why cant hosts? the upside is that these extras are just that 'extras' and some are even refundable. the guest would still get a bed, use of bathroom, cable tv and and so forth but many of these requests are hard to justify the expense of purchasing them if the guest isnt paying for it upfront. relying on the hope that the guest leaves a good review, cleans the item back to original condition or even leaves a tip hasnt worked out well in my experience. in fact, its made me want to remove amenities altogether. what are your thoughts fellow host?

8 Replies 8
Hilary-And-Ed0
Level 10
Brookline, MA

Hello @Zacharias0,

I think some opt ins may be a good idea.  However I think it could go a bit far.  My feeling is to price the unit well for the options that most people would use (pool in summer?  check.  pots and pans?  check.  Offer continental breakfast, and work it into your regular price).

The general feeling I want people to have is that they are comfortable in the home, and what ever I have listed as "accessible" in the listing really is.  Otherwise people get that vaguely weird feeling I get, say about that mini bar and snacks that are in hotels.  That feeling of "I know it's fine, but there will be a reckoning in the future (ok, a small reckoning) if I do".

The pool, the pots and pans are things you don't have to pay for up front.  They are already there. I allow washer dryer use for people staying 2 weeks or more (after a week, and then weekly after that).  That minimizes  water, and prevents airbnb jumpers arrivingat your house for two days and doing three loads of laundry.

Again, some options would be great to tick and pay for ahead of time (tour of city, which is kind of a small time "experience", or airport pick up, etc).

@Hilary-And-Ed0

Oh, airport pick-up....that one is a bit of a worry for me. Our listing is about 45 minutes from our city's main airport, I am a gragarious type of guy but this could go one of two ways! I could get that walking encyclopedia that wants to tell me nonstop every millisecond of his life.......or I would be sh*t scared I would get some Japanese guest who's only words we could possibly have in common would be Sushi and Sayonara, and would have to sit through 45 minutes of uncomfortable stony silence.

I can't see myself adding that one to the checklist!

But I can see merit in a checklist and I am going to work on compiling one!

Cheers.....Rob

I am not advocating or non-advocating.  I was just responding to @Zacharias0 idea, and one of his thoughts was airport pickup.

I myself would not offer that particular one.  I have offered (just once) to pick someone up at a bus station.  It can be a 10 minute drive, but this time it was rush hour, so I'll never do that again!  🙂

I

You can do this @Zacharias0 - put it in your listing details, something like: 

I provide an number of additional services for a fee.  Please let me know if I can have them available to you when you arrive.  I require 3 days notice to provide these items and will not provide them after that time.  You will need to pay for these items in advance through the Resolution Center: 

1. Keurig Coffee maker with 2 coffee pods, cream, and sugar -  $2.00/day/per person

2. Pots and pans for you to use - $1.00 per pan if returned clean and in the same condition, $5.00 if I have to clean them

3. Airport pick up or delivery:  $35.00 each way

4. Laundry - to include one Tide Pod per wash load and one dryer sheet per dry load - $3.00 for both wash and dry.  You cannot hang items to dry anywhere in the property and laundering my sheets or towels is prohibited. 

5. Parking in building $37.00/day

6. Use of Jacuzzi $25.00/night

7. Use of Building Gym $15.00/day

8. Provide hand holding and nose-picking.... $7.50 a night

..... and on and on..... then ask them outright if they want any of the additional add-on services when they book.  IF they don't - no sweat to you!

If you want to, say something simple like: I provide a number of Add-on services for a fee.  These include coffee service, laundry, and pot/pan rental.  I will send a price list if requested - otherwise, what you read is offered in my listing is what is offered in my listing.  If you need to know about something in particular, please ask in advance if it is available for free or for a fee.  

We charge $2.00 per load of laundry, $10 - $15 per meal if a guest chooses to eat dinner with us, $3.00/day "Pantry Access" and $5.00/drink if our guests want to make themselves a cocktail from our bar (if we offer a drink we do not charge - we're not "upselling").  We also charge $15 for a mid-stay cleaning/linen change if a guest stays between 5-12 nights but make a cleaning and linen change mandatory (with no charge) if the stay is more than 13 nights.  We're about 50/50 with people we've offered these services who take us up on them and no one has ever refused to pay when we say something isn't free.  We even charge a fee for overnight dog accommodations - again, about 50% of people book elsewhere because we don't do this for free.  Heck it costs $20/night for each dog in most hotels or a non-refundable pet deposit and dog kennels go for about $40/night, doggie daycare $35/day, dog walker $10/walk typically.  I don't  know why people think these things should be free at my Airbnb.  You don't get to walk into a laundrymat and do your laundry for free - because that's the alternative!  Breakfast, coffee, dishsoap... all cost you money.... My Airbnb expenses for food and cleaning supplies alone last year was over $3,000, my utilities for the business portion of my home $1,500.... sorry, I digress..... yes you can charge for add-on services and should if you don't just want to make the items available and raise your prices (which I really think you should and can, @Zacharias0!)

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Zacharias as pragmatic as you are, I know you realize the administrative headache this may created and its fallout.

But you should get paid for amenity usage.

Have you considered two listings?

One listing would be your bare-bone listing, the other listing would be your "luxury stay" where you provide all amenities.

You would have to toggle your calendar and block off the other listing as the reservations come in, but it might meet your needs.

Just as important, you will answer your nagging question "Do guest REALLY want amentities?"

As for relying on cash tips for service, this is a no go.

Airbnb actively discourages tips with this disclaimer   "If you want to show appreciation for your host, write a review encouraging other guests to book their trip."

To add insult to injury, the "internet" says you should NOT tip your airbnb host 😞

It is unfortunate. Many hosts would be more inclined to offer amenities with a carrot ($$), not a whip (bitchy reviews)

Airbnb's policy against tipping is my only reason I would jump ship to a competitor... if one were there.

Thomas-and-Ramona0
Level 4
Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea

Hi @Zacharias0,

I wouldn't have too many things for extra fees, or people will feel nickeled and dimed.

Definitely charge something for airport pickup and probably city tour, you can ask for and receive extra money thru the Airbnb system.

In my opinion, it is best to set your rates at a level that covers continental breakfast, use of pots/pans, occasional replacement of things, and laundry.

Take pictures regularly of everything in the place including pots/pans/dishes in cupboards (these photos would not be posted on your listing of course, but you could email them to yourself as a kind of date stamp). Then your security deposit should cover damaged things. 

I like your paragraph in one listing: "Please keep in mind I do not operate a 5 star hotel, but am opening up my personal home to you. As such you will find that my home like most, is not perfect. Thank you in advance for adjusting your expectations to as if you were staying at a friends house for a few days and not a 5 star resort."

As a guest I would appreciate having laundry facilities available for stays shorter than 7 days, but you could specify just one load every few days for example.

Ramona

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Zacharias0 I like the idea, however, I've found that those who say "can we checkin early?" tend to find a way to occupy themselves after I answer "yes, of course, you may checkin early, the rate is $10/hr"