Paid for cleaning, but got a bad review for not cleaning. WTF????

Илья0
Level 4
Moscow, Russia

Paid for cleaning, but got a bad review for not cleaning. WTF????

For the second time in a row we are having problems with hosts on the issue of cleaning. There was a cleaning fee both times so we did not feel obliged to leave the place spotless and as usual did some stuff that we regard as a nice gesture towards the host, like start the dishwashing machine, take out the garbage etc. We didn't leave piles of garbage in the house etc. And both times the hosts told us that were guilty of leaving the house dirty and untidy. WTF??

The first host complained (in a private message) that the house was "very dirty", which could not have been true. We stayed outside most of the time. He also complained that the floor in the bathroom was dirty. That was indeed true, but since there was a cleaning fee we left to the cleaners. The host also mentioned that the house rules "were very clear" on the issue of cleanliness, but there was nothing anywhere: not in the listing and not in the home instructions.

So, all in all, we payed for the cleaning but were scolded for leaving the house dirty!

The second host complained (in a public review) that we did not show respect for his property. We rented his villa for 1 month for $10K+, ordered cleaning ourselves in the middle of our stay, replaced all kitchen items that were broken (inevitable during a one-month stay of several families in home). When we asked the host why he gave us a bad review, when we payed for the cleaning, she said that we left the house untidy. Meaning we left toys by the pool, didn't return several furniture pieces (not heavy) where they were initialy. The only fair complaint was baby food on the couch, we offered to pay for that.

So again, we payed the host to clean and got a bad review for "not tidying up the whole place". Where the fine line between clean and tidy???

Isn't it obvious that if you are renting out your 4-bedroom villa for a month to several families you will have to spend some time/money on cleaning and "tidying up". 

Or at least you should clearly state what you expect from your guests and what they should expect from you in terms of cleaning, especially for long rents. 

I strongly believe that AirBnB should have a clear policy on cleaning so that everyone is on the same page and would not have their vacation tainted by bullsh*t like this

47 Replies 47
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Charlotte does not seem to charge a cleaning fee, has the listing changed?

David

She does, it's included in the price

Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

Well, @Илья0... I think the main problem is that people misunderstand the "cleaning fee!" NONE of what I am about to say is an accusation of you...just know that please. It is a commentary on guests - in general.

Cleaning fees are NOT a license to leave the place any dirtier than one would leave a mid to high-end hotel room. What it is is a way to offset the daily cleaning and costs (soap, vinegar, bleach, detergent, etc) that hosts have to do *and* the inevitable loss of room-nights because someone left the house bad enough that we didn't feel we could clean it ourselves the right way and had to call in cleaners. If people leave my studio abnormally messy I don't CARE if I have a cleaning fee, I will judge them for it and review them accordingly.

Also remember, that the number one thing is House Rules. Guests agree to these. If the house rules state guests are to leave the place clean, sorry but you agreed to them - it doesn't MATTER that they charge a cleaning fee. Most house rules state something like this.

Once again: a cleaning fee is NOT a guest's ticket to leave a house dirty. It is to take care of eventualities that come with doing business related to cleaning. I am sure I will be flamed by many-a-guest but that is how I see it.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Jann3

I'm going to go off-theme a bit here to address something I'm always a big stickler of, namely being really clear in house rules in order for guests to know what to expect and what they're  agreeing to upon booking.

Most and esp, young people seem to do all and everything on their phones. It's handy on the surface, but has negatives, and one huge negative is that there's NO way the Airbnb app will give access to the personalized host rules! Only the ticked off standard Airbnb options are visible (kids, pets, parties...). Not good. 

The other thing I've been noticing is that communication thru the app requires me to become more and more repetitive as the small screens seem to limit and reduce the retention span of previous convos in an alarming manner.

Okay, rant over.

Just telling everyone here that I so love @Andrea9! The way she says things is perfect!

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Jann3

Haha, glad to oblige 😉

Well said Andrea, we have to constantly double check with guests about House Rules.

Make sure they took the time to read them .

This is why I ask ALL guests with less than 5 reviews to re-read all of our house rules. Most newwer guests cannot distinguish the difference between hotels and airbnb accommodations, so I try to be very clear and have them read over the house rules to avoid ANY confusion. If they have a problem, I will kick them out or they can cancel their stay.

Hi, @Jann thanks for your answer. 

Since none of what your wrote is an accusation of me, I won't go into my story)) You're totally right that there's a misunderstanding about cleaning and I think that its AirBnB's job to set this straight.

Because for guests the cleaning fee is exactly a ticket for not cleaning up. Or not cleaning up as good as the host expects. That is the problem that I encountered when I started travelling with kids and renting large houses. 

Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Hi @Илья0 I think there is a general misunderstanding when it comes to cleaning fees - guests feel that if they pay a cleaning fee, they can leave the place however they like - things left out all over, filthy floors etc. - but you should think of the cleaning fee as a way of insuring the place is clean for your arrival. Was it? Then you got value for your cleaning fee.

Most hosts expect tidying up and a bit of cleaning done on check-out - garbage taken out (or left where ever), dishes in the dish washer, counter tops wiped, general tidying - toys put back etc. and if floors are excessively (noticably) dirty, a quick floor cleaning. These things are expected. Leave the place as you found it. Yes, some spots on the mirrors, toilets needing cleaning, dust etc. is expected but if there are muddy footprints all over the floor, you need to address that or you will be marked down. It sounds like you are the type of guests that do minimal clean up, leave things laying all over, and leave dirty floors - as long as you continue to do this, you will continue to be marked down. I'm sorry but that's just the way it is. - Karen

....ooooh...loving @Karen-and-Brian0 too! 😉

I didn't think of the words: "...you should think of the cleaning fee as a way of insuring the place is clean for your arrival. Was it? Then you got value for your cleaning fee."  but they are perfect and I'm gonna put them in my guest manual!

@Jann3 Totally! That and I guess I'm kind of a freak but I'd never leave a place dirty because it reflects badly on me. I'm not one who thinks "I paid a cleaning fee, so I can be an absolute hog here". It all comes down to self-respect, right?

Let's not go down that road. We're all normal people discussing an issue

Hi @Karen & Brian, thanks for your thoughts. I'm really gratefull for the feedback because it helps me understand

I would not agree with you. I should not think of the cleaning fee as insuring that the house is clean uppon my arrival. That would mean I'm paying for someone's mess and the person after me is paying for mine. That is counterlogical.

I pay for my own mess, I'm not expecting someone else to pay cleaning for my 1-month stay in a 4-bedroom villa. That wouldn't be fair right? 

As for the amount of cleaning: if you're paying for cleaning then even a minimal amount is already courtesy from a guest side. I'm not talking of course about piles of waste or pemanent damage or something that needs extra costs to put back into shape.

If I am to "leave the place as I found it" I should be told this before I rent it. And that means no cleaning fee. And it probably means that I won't rent it