Payment reversal in Australia

Leanne99
Level 10
Adelaide, Australia

Payment reversal in Australia

Hi All,

Just a heads up in case anyone else is affected November 6 2018

We received an email from AirBnB this morning informing us that our payment was reversed. We contacted our bank to find out why and they could find no reason or evidence that any money had arrived. So, we re-entered our payment details as per the Air BnB email and then received another email from them to say the same thing had happened 14 hours later.

I've just got off the phone to AirBnB help and found out this is a problem at thier end and maybe happening Australia-wide due to a problem with their payment partner here...

They said they have had a high volume of calls about this.

I made the point that early communication about this would be helpful and save us worrying, changing details and calling them.

Hope this saves others the trouble of chasing up Air BnB

Cheers,

Leanne

181 Replies 181
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I'm so glad you had received your payment @Lisa244 and I'm sure the status will update shortly to reflect this.  Thank you for updating me and it is lovely to hear your kind words about our CS team, I will pass on your kind comments. 

Speak to you again soon and happy weekend. 🙂

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Robyn206
Level 2
Maylands, Australia

Hi All... this is disappointing to see the issue is still ongoing.  I had a guest stay on Wed 21 Nov and have had my bank details declined twice now.  Changed to a second account and payment was reversed again.  Sounds very dodgy... maybe they're short on funds to pay out and making up excuses.  Can anyone give me an email or phone number to contact Airbnb in Australia?  The site seems to have done a great job of hiding this important information.  

Air B n b for urgent 02 85203333 .

Leonie69
Level 2
Jervis Bay, Australia

Just to say ...it took about 3 weeks but eventually all payments have been received and all back to normal .

Thank you for the update.
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Robyn206,

Nice to meet you. 

As a few more days have passed now, I just wanted to check how things are going and if you have perhaps received your payment yet?

Fingers crossed. 

Thank you,

Lizzie

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Yes, this was finalised by a support team member

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great to hear, @Robyn206

I am sorry for the delay you have received with this, I hope all future payments will be back to the normal timeframe now. 

Thank you,

Lizzie

--------------------

David3253
Level 1
Wollongong, Australia

Same thing has happened to me.

They claimed that they sent a payment to my bank account and it bounced.

So I gave them another account number with a different bank.

They sent a 0.03 cent deposit to this account as a test and it deposited successfully.

That was 13 days ago.  I am still waiting for an amount of more than AU$2,900.

I am traveling in South America and this issue is really spoiling my holiday.

Last night I opened a Peruvian phone number just for them.   This morning I sent them

My phone number but no verification code came through.  

I want to phone them but there is nowhere on their really complex site that a phone number appears.

Anyone still having this issue, I got my payout reversed 2 times even after the account was verified. It was the same account I use for long time and get payouts to... what can I do now ?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Mila55,

I'm sorry to hear you are still experiencing problems with this. As far as I am aware, everyone who has posted here has now received their payment. 

I would recommend contacting our Support Team as they will be able to double check everything is as it should be. Here is the number when calling from Australia: +61 2 8520 3333 and here is a useful Community Guide on the different ways to reach them.

I hope you get this resolved shortly. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Lizzie. I have received an email yesterday for the reversal. It is Xmas and I have made great effort to be organised so I could have time off. Now I need to chase up and ring support to find what money is owed to me ????

Shamore0
Level 2
Australia

Hi I have just got an email about the reversal payment. This seems to be a long standing issue on an off with airbnb when you read the threads 

some date back to 2013. 

Does airbnb do this when they have cash shortage or what could be the reason?

this should not be an issue for the host at all and penalties should apply to AIRBNB like they are so quick to apply to host rankings. 

Can someone from support please advise me when I will received the money I am owed by airbnb 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Shamore0,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear you are waiting for your payment. 

The difficulty that has been mentioned here in this thread started in October 2018 and has been fixed by our tech team. As far as I'm aware all of the hosts here have since received their payment, which makes me hopeful that you will receive yours soon too. 

If you haven't received any more information around when you can expect your payment, I would contact our Support Team directly, here is a telephone number when calling from Australia: +61 2 8520 3333.

I hope you get this all sorted soon.

Thanks,

Lizzie

[Top tip: here in the Community Center, when replying to someone, add @ and select the person you are replying to from the dropdown and they will recieve a notification about your reply]

--------------------

Belinda-and-Rob0
Level 1
Moana, Australia

Hi to everyone as this is the first time I have been here. I would like to know how people feel about Airbnb holding onto host funds until supposedly the guest leaves your accomodation? Can be & has been for up to 12 to 18 months. You do understand that Airbnb receive interest on these funds world wide which at a guess could be in the 10s of millions. Does anyone here agree to this? We provide the accomodation & take the risk while they hold on to funds that are rightfully ours. I also had to submit my details again as I did not get my pay out but I should be thankful that Airbnb transferred 3 cents from a $1500 payout & I am still waiting. All this while other platforms I am able  to control & receive the deposit on my terms & the balance on my terms. Personally I think it’s done on purpose so Airbnb get to hold on to that money for a few weeks more. Calculate the interest & it’s mind boggling. I think there should be an investigation into this as I think it’s not even legal. A good solicitor would walk all over Airbnb & all we need is a class action just to receive our rightful money when the guest pays Airbnb & not 12 months later.