Payout Problems

Julieanna0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Payout Problems

As this is the second time and second time in a row that I have had payout problems, I thought I would mention it in the Airbnb community.  The last time I had guests, I noticed my payout had completely disappeared.  To be more clear, my guests were staying with me and when I checked there was no amount in the "pending" or the "completed" status under payments and payouts.  I had to call Airbnb and spend over two hours before something was done and the money was "found" and paid out.  I thought (hoped!) it was a glitch.  

I now have current guests staying who checked in this past Thursday.  As expected, I received an email Friday saying a payout had been issued.  However, after the trouble last time, I thought I would double-check.  Sadly, even though the email has a payout ID number, no payout has been issued.  I have spent a total of 3 hours on the phone with Airbnb today (Sunday) only to be told that there is no one available in any department that can help me, however, they can confirm that no payout has been issued and "someone will get back with me."  My guests have now been staying for 4 days of the 11 they have booked.  As I have another case (not related to payout problems) that has been open for 34 days now with no resolution, I am very concerned when I hear "someone will get back with you."

The first or second CS person I spoke with assured me if I was willing to wait on hold for another hour, they would get me to the "right" department to handle the problem.  Unfortunately, that did not happen.  I was told the department was inundated with calls and no one could possibly help me.  When I specifically inquired if other hosts were having problems with payouts, the CS rep told me they could not confirm that.

I'm feeling rather nervous,--is this something that is becoming a "new normal" for Airbnb now?  I'm curious to hear other hosts experiences, please.

Julieanna
34 Replies 34

Hi

I too am waiting for payment and am worrying that my next guests I won't get paid for either. I am not sure what will happen if I cancel them plus I don't want to ruin their vacation !

@Susan3808 I know.  I'm debating on what I should do.  As Airbnb isn't paying me, I wonder if they will refund my guests?  I'm beginning to wonder if Airbnb is just on the verge of bankruptcy and collapsing altogether?  Again, this is the second time it has happened to me.  Sadly, this time they even sent an email with a payment transaction ID number stating my payout had been sent, but it has not.  It really is sad.  They won't permit guests to book a place with a "promise to pay" and now both my guests and I are in a bind due to Airbnb's problems.  Not sure what to call this, but it almost seems like a Ponzi scheme.

Julieanna
Julieanna0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Note the complete lack of admission as to what the problem was about.  No reference whatsoever.  This, in and of itself, is very suspicious.Note the complete lack of admission as to what the problem was about. No reference whatsoever. This, in and of itself, is very suspicious.Although I was sent the email on Friday, Auguest 7th, I decided on Sunday the 9th to actually check and see if the payout had been issued.  It had not.Although I was sent the email on Friday, Auguest 7th, I decided on Sunday the 9th to actually check and see if the payout had been issued. It had not.

@Susan3808   Something very bad is going on @Airbnb regarding paying hosts.  I had problems with the payment disappearing with the last guests I had.  Literally it entirely disappeared.  It was neither in the upcoming payouts or completed payouts.  I had to spend several hours on the phone in order to obtain payment for hosting.  This time, my guests are currently staying (it is a longer stay; 11 days) and at first I just took the email at face value on Friday, August 7th.  However, after my last experience, I decided to check yesterday, Sunday, August 9th, and discovered that although the email said the payout had been issued, it had not.  This still amazes me as it actually has a "payout ID" reference number.  And, for all hosts who don't know this,--there is no customer service anymore.  I am now told there is only a "routing department" which takes phone calls and routes them to the appropriate department and at an undetermined time, someone will respond.  I am still waiting (over 34 days now) for resolution to this case:  https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Be-SURE-to-Engage-With-Scammers-You-ll-Pay-For-It-If-You-DO....  Airbnb has done nothing,--they have just waited for it to resolve itself.  I think it's pathetic, however,  I see all sorts of hosts and guests who are in real trouble with ZERO response from Airbnb.  At this point, I have accepted this particular case will never be resolved.   Regarding the issue of @Airbnb not paying their hosts,--this is more serious.  Where is the money going?  My guests have paid.  As far as I know @Airbnb doesn't allow guests to book my home with a "promise to pay" or a 7-14 day grace period to pay,--so why can't they pay me; the host?  In my years of hosting on Airbnb, my payouts have been in one of two statuses:  1) upcoming or 2) completed.  Apparently there is now a new category of "processing" which I have never seen before.  Again, my guess is that @Airbnb doesn't allow guests to book my home on a "pending" or "processing" payment, so where is the money?  This is really starting to appear like some sort of Ponzi scheme which is worrisome.  

Julieanna

Hi I have rang them every day for 16 days my payment was due 25th July afraid as I have many bookings coming up and Airbnb have their money but will we get paid links if this on hosting are connecting as I started a conversation ladt week and there are a dozen of us waiting for money x 

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Julieanna0,

Thanks for raising the issue here. I'm really sorry to hear about that situation.

There have been recent issues with delayed payouts and the team has been working on getting this solved for everyone.

It looks like your payment is scheduled to arrive on your end by August 14th. If by any reason it doesn't, can you please let me know?

Thanks,

Liv

I appreciate your honesty in acknowledging the problem, @Liv .  I’ve been trying to let Airbnb as well as other hosts know about the problems with payouts.  However, I see you are fully aware of it.  Hopefully it’s a technical glitch that can be fixed within a day or two and not underlying financial problems @Airbnb ?  Again, I appreciate your honesty in letting me know the truth of this matter as it has unfortunately happened to me twice.  If it is a more serious/long-term problem, I would like to know so that I can plan accordingly.  Thank-you.

Julieanna

Hi i have been posting about exactly the same problems I am in Australia can not get my money what do we do!  I have many booking till endog year I am so worried xx

@Tina6892I have had great success posting on Twitter about it.  Airbnb doesn't appear to want the world or all of us (as hosts) to know what's going on.  As far as I am concerned, the more people you can make aware of this,--the better off we will all be.  It isn't fair to the guests who have already paid if at some point the hosts quit accepting them due to non-payment by Airbnb and, of course, it isn't fair to us as hosts.  So, post away on Facebook, Twitter, your own personal blog if you have one and any other public platform you can. (Even the local news!)

In the meantime, there are other alternatives to hosting on Airbnb:  https://travelfreak.com/airbnb-alternative.   Hope this helps.

Julieanna
Karen2659
Level 1
Seattle, WA

This is also happening to me. Though I haven't even received a payment pending notification. 

I have called customer support 4 times, and have been promised someone will get back to me.

My rental was $6,500 and there is no evidence that payment is coming my way. 

This was my first time with AIRBNB, and will be the last.

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Karen2659

I'm really sorry to hear you've had this issue. I've just received an update about your case, so I will send you a DM with details now 😊

I hope you managed to get your payout, @Karen2659.  As time has gone on, I keep noticing the same issue over and over again.   Most of the time I will get an email stating that my payout has been sent although it hasn't.  Every time I have complained I am reminded that it is very possibly my bank that is at fault even though the payout hasn't been sent!  This is very irritating as I've never had a problem one time with my bank or PayPal.  The problem is always with Airbnb not releasing payouts.  This article about Airbnb alternatives is written for people traveling, however, can be applied in reverse if you're interested in listing your home elsewhere:  https://travelfreak.com/airbnb-alternative.  Hopefully it will give you some alternative platforms to list your beautiful home.  I find it very interesting that @Katie  reached out right away with an update about your case!  I would imagine it has something to do with the fact that your home generates more income for Airbnb than most.  😉

Julieanna

@Karen2659Ha ha,--I see you have addressed the issue of switching platforms already.  Good for you! 

Julieanna
Sue1653
Level 2
Sacramento, CA

This is all very scary!  There is absolutely no phone support.  Here is a snip of what they have done to me:

2 transactions

Aug 17, 2020
$119.88

2 transactions
Resolution Adjustment **
-$500.00
**, Dec 30, 2014 - Mar 3, 2015
Charming peaceful In-law Cottage
Reservation  **
+$619.88

How can you justify withholding money without explanation for a supposed, previously unreported, five year old transaction on an unrelated property?  No explanation.
Is it time to pull the plug on AirBNB?

**Sensitive information hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that it is not allowed to share any personal details publicly for your own privacy

Hi @Sue1653.  Without knowing exactly what's going on, I agree that the lack of phone support is really bad.  I have been told on more than one occasion that they only have "routing departments" available by phone.  This means, (as I have been told on multiple occasions), that my complaint/problem will be routed to the appropriate department and someone will get in touch with me at an undetermined time in the future.  What is so very puzzling to me is that Airbnb's CS representatives shouldn't have to work from an office building, so I don't think it is a problem with physical location.  I think perhaps they are having financial problems.  In my opinion, they are most definitely making things worse for the company by treating both hosts and guests badly and NOT having any (or very poor) support available.  On top of the nonexistent or very poor support, it now takes weeks for an issue to be addressed if at all.  This article about traveling, can be applied in the reverse:  https://www.huffpost.com/entry/alternative-sites-to-airbnb-for-vacation-rentals_n_5a987ab9e4b0a0ba4a....  Homestay is said to be what Airbnb used to be, so you might want to check out their site.  It seems unbelievable that something from 2015 wouldn't have been addressed until now.  I can only imagine how frustrated  you must feel! Good luck and I hope they resolve your case soon. 

Julieanna