Peculiar situation with a guest from a conglict zone /refugee area/

Vladislav3
Level 1
Sofia Province, Bulgaria

Peculiar situation with a guest from a conglict zone /refugee area/

Hi,guys,

I found no other remedy but to write here for an answer or advice.I own a property on the Bulgarian Black sea Coast area (in Burgas),a place very close to the EU border with Turkey,through which hundreds of migrants pass daily.I don't know how's the situation in Western Europe,but here the entire country is practically paralised as a result of this "refugee" crisis and,yeah,we are practically panicking 24/7.So,an hour ago I recieved a reservation from a man who claims to reside in Istanbul but has the user name PpFunTime and does not want to tell me his real name.Also he wants to check at 9 pm,leave the luggage and go out.I think you can understand why I can not let him in my property.And it's not only this.Right the next morning I have a reservation made a month ago / a Polish couple that seems really nice and well educated/.To make matters worse I can't turn down the reservation of this turkish guy automatically because his check-in time is..tomorrow.So,in order to turn him down I have to connect an Airbnb representer via telephone but airbnb does not have a support office in Bulgaria - the closest one is in Greece.And so I tried to connect them 12 times,I even called the support telephone in Austria(but I don't speak German).So,yes,Im in quite a desperate situation - I want to turn this guy down so that he has no reasons for reproaching me for something and send him back the money (which is actually what he wants),but I don't know how,nor I know what to do.I'm really afraid he might be a drugdealer or human trafficant and he claims I've hurt his feelings and that he'll write airbnb.So,naturally,I told him if he comes tomorrow,I'll simply call the police,but he still wants to write Airbnb and complain to them I'm a bad host.What should I do?Has anyone ever been in such situation?Give me advice,pls.

4 Replies 4
Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

I cannot give you the international number but I know that there is one. Perhaps someone else here can help. You can also try Airbnb's facebook page, or check Twitter. I was successful when using the facebook page.

Your listing has a lot of errors which will allow for situations like this in the future.

1) You have instant book. Turn that off!

2) You can adjust your availability calendar and check-in time to prevent this from happening again.

3) You claim extra people are not charge. That can be a big problem! In your listing state "charge for people over .....(your limit number) $1000....and that will get rid of the extra people no charge.

Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

Just Say NO!  Refuse the reservation.  Tell AirBnB you are beyond uncomfortable with this guest. 

There is no way in Hell someone is going to make a reservation with me using the name PP FunTime.  No!

Unless AirBnB has Verified this mans identification, and he is indeed PP FunTime, he's not staying with me.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

AirBnB requires guests to use their real name.

Does Bulgaria have rules requiring registering guests?

David
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

You are practically in a state of emergency and you are using Instant Booking and taking one night bookings! Unlike the information provided below people are not required to use their real name on their profile they can use a nickname if they wish. He arrived at 9pm and will be going straight out - I am not sure I understand the problem. As for your 'educated' guests from Poland - they could. E your worst nightmare.

Contact Airbnb but don't expect much sympathy as I think they will also struggle to understand your panic. You have accepted a verified guest for one night who has paid.

Please. Hangs your booking arrangements so you have more control over who books in future. Good luck - I am sure it will be absolutely fine