Penalty-Free Cancellation: 3 times per listing or host?

Wei-and-Ting0
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

Penalty-Free Cancellation: 3 times per listing or host?

Hi all, we have multiple listings with instant book on and I'm trying to find out whether the three cancelations per year thing is per listing or per host? Seems silly if it's per host (what if you had 10 listings!) but Airbnb does silly things sometimes. 

Thanks for any answers in advance!

ps. also if anyone from airbnb see this please let instant booking hosts block people 

11 Replies 11
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Wei-and-Ting0 Interesting question.  My guess, and it's only a guess, is that it is per listing, but you might want to ask Airbnb and then let us all know!!

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Wei-and-Ting0@Clare0 it is 3 times per host regardless of how many properties an indvidual host has.

BW, Ama

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Ok I found the e-mail I  received from Airbnb when I equired about the same topic for Instant Booking; this is their response in relation to this 'Unfortunately, Instant Booking free cancellation option is available three times per hosts - no matter how much properties you have on your profile as that is one of the factors in your Host status, among the response rate, number of check-outs and 5-star reviews.'

Ama

fear confirmed. I guess it's better than nothing...

@Wei-and-Ting0 - That's a sad result for those like yourself with multiple listings. I guess if you wanted to spread the risk you could split the listings across two profiles... probably a lot of headache though.

Cheers,

Paul

---

If someone provides a useful response send with a thumbs up!

Useful Links to Check Out:

Co-Organiser of Melbourne's Finest... Hosts too! 🙂

Oooh yikes! That's news to me too. 

Well, it seems in your case, you may want to turn IB off so you can avoid some of those cancellations.

Thanks for asking a good question though!

Paul160
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Howdy peeps 🙂 

I've listed my property for rent through until, and including October. However, due to extenuating circumstances I really need to cancel all the reservations in Sept and October. Don't ask me why, I just do. It's a family issue which, despite out best efforts, cannot be resolved. 

What on earth is likely to happen? I imagine I'll likely be blacklisted completely? Will there be any financial penalty perhaps, despite the cancellations being so far in advance?

Kind regards,

Paul

Howdy to you too @Paul160!  The 3 penalty free cancellations for hosts with IB applies only if you are uncomfortabe with the guest.  

My advice is to contact Airbnb immediately before you cancel any reservation.  Your reason for cancelling might fall under Extenuating Circumstances in which case no penalty would be applied.  Click on the link below to see all the ways to get in touch. 

If your reasons for cancelling do not meeting the Extenuating Circumstance criteria, then here's what will happen: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/how-do-host-cancellation-penalties-work

All the best, Clare

@Paul160 Oh, and by the way the cancellations are by host, not listing. 

I am new to airbnb, one of my first guests got very creepy on me before he even arrived. Over 50 messages, I felt extremely unsafe.  I saved the messages and want to submit an extenuating circumstance. I also reported the guy. I cannot find where to contact airbnb anywhere!!!!! Where do I submit the claim? I can find articles about it, telling you what to do but nothing says where? Help?

@Wendy212 Go to the home page of this site.  Click on Get Support then view  the list of Community Help Guides, one of which is how to Contact Airbnb.  In that guide you will see all the ways to get in touch with Airbnb. 

The 3 cancellation suspension policy is per host, not per listing.