People wanting to leave bags after checkout time has passed

Viveca0
Level 2
Chicago, IL

People wanting to leave bags after checkout time has passed

Hello All!! I’m starting to notice a trend of folks waiting til the day of checkout to state that they are leaving late in the day and ask if they can leave their bags or checkout late. I’m starting to get annoyed a bit with it since they are asked when booking what their departure is and I usually don’t get a response. Any input?!? I have a few ideas floating in my head just want a few outside opinions!!!!

TIA!! And have a great day!

21 Replies 21

You are right Gordon. For us our guests are cruise ship people and would like to have their bags stored. So this winter my building a locker so they could store bags without me being there. As for early check in and late check out it really about storing the bags. Happy hosting 

Not going out of my way to unhelpful at all! I just don’t want to be taken advantage of when in other situations they wouldn’t do this.

It's more often how guests ask if they could leave their luggage. Some of them have sneaked out of the house pretending not knowing the check out time and then send a message saying they'll return later. Others think they can leave their luggage in the corner of my lounge room but still sit around, use the kitchen and bathroom including showering before they leave! 

TracieandJason0
Level 8
Philadelphia, PA

I agree that it's pretty inconsiderate. I am assuming if the guest tells you ahead of time, you are able to accomadate them and are just getting annoyed at those telling you last minute. In the future maybe you can send a polite reminder the night before checkout that you have a strict check out time due to same day over? Or remind them of this during the check in process. It might be a bit deceitful if you are not turning over the airbnb but it gives the guest a chance to sort out their bagguage situation ahead of time snd deters them from waiting until the last minute and burdening you. I wouldn't recommend a storing fee option because that places liability on you just in case your guest loses anything even if its not your fault. 

Pretty much!!! Like please let me know at least the day of checkin at least!!! I don’t mind doing it but it’s starting to get a little out of hand.

Viveca0
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Thank you everyone for your input!!!!!

Natalie725
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

I hate when guests overstay their welcome and assume it's nothing to you. You pay for your stay and anything outside of that is a "favour."

I had a trend of guests doing the same thing, but I'm not able to cater for this because I'm always back to back with bookings. My apartment is too small for past and present guests to intermingle... And I need time to change over the room. 

Since I got annoyed by these requests, I did a few things. Now - all of my guests leave either before time or exactly on time. My anxiety over this, is now totally gone. This is what worked for me:

1. State in listing "CHECK-IN is 12 midday and CHECK-OUT is at 11am. If you need luggage storage before or after, you can go to 'XYZ Storage' on 'Bla bla' Street for a small fee."

2. In the booking confirmation message, state the CHECK-IN time. Then ask for a precise arrival time AFTER that (eliminates guests asking to store bags earlier than your check in time).

3. Print out a list of house rules and put it in a frame underneath the WIFI password. (This way, they can't NOT see it, because they always need to look for the WIFI password). In the house rules, state again the check out time and - again - offer an option for an alternative luggage storage place. Make sure to drop the word "strictly" in there somewhere too.

4. On the last night, thank them and tell them how the check out process works, then politely remind them of the CHECK-OUT time, "as per house rules". 

Honestly, before I did all this, every second guest was asking me if they could store bags. If you state your boundaries clearly and over and over... There is no way they will chance their luck. You stomp it out before they get the chance to do so. And I found it doesn't have any affect on my hospitality ratings (touch wood)... Hope this helps!! best of luck