Perfume dousing guests

Rachel9
Level 1
Seattle, WA

Perfume dousing guests

hi - i just thought i posted this but it's not showing up, so i'll post again. My last 3 guests have all used excessive perfume, to the point that our bedrooms need to be fully aired out for several hours + deep cleaned before we can re-habitate our space, or turn it over for new guests. Stale chemical perfume that isn't our style lingers, and the scents aren't in any way appealing to me or my family. We live in our house and vacate it to AirBNB, and highlight that we're environmentally friendly, no chemicals etc. in our lifestyle. So far, I haven't indicated this in my reviews of guests, but it bugs me, and 3x in a row suggests this might be an issue for others? How can I gracefully tell guests to not douse themselves in our house, while not making it a turn off for potential guests? thanks...

24 Replies 24
Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

We have added "We kindly ask that you keep the use of perfumes and body sprays to a minimum during your stay" to our listing  and we have it posted on our info sheet on the fridge. It's not really a *rule* but at least it's there and may catch a few readers. 

Susan1297
Level 2
Westerly, RI

My last 3  international guests (all male) used far too much cologne. I was going to ask the community how I can politely add to house rules "please apply cologne and perfume outside of the house".  The guest room seems to be permeated with the cologne of 3 different men and it's awful! I have to try the vinegar thing but how do I just do that in one room?

@Susan1297  The vinegar does work bring it to a boil so it's steaming then put it in the rooms immediately while still steaming.  

Nancy26
Level 3
Delray Beach, FL

Googled this topic and found this discussion. Just had a super nice guest that I wish I could clone, but her strong perfume is still overpowering the room a week after she left and after I have washed everything, the cleaning lady came, I sprayed everything with vinegar and a natural deoderizer I bought from Whole Foods.   I will try the suggestions from here and will add the "We kindly ask that you keep the use of perfumes and body sprays to a minimum during your stay" quote to my listing. 

I have a guest coming in a week and hope it is gone by then.  I am in Florida and have had the windows open almost everyday with the breeze and 70 degree weather. 

Nancy26
Level 3
Delray Beach, FL

@Clare0, your comments here are not helpful and appear critical.  Please only offer solutions, not petty comments. 

@Nancy26 Hope you feel better....

Candyce0
Level 2
Austin, TX

Glad to have found this thread. Indeed, it appears the use of cologne is cultural, and it knocks me out everytime. The suggestions here are great, and it's good to know I'm not alone in the world of offense smells.  I've found adding a natural oxi or vinegar to the linens breaks down the scents, but often requires an additional wash. 

Cheers.

Da-La0
Level 2
Sedona, AZ

I am new to Airb&b , and my first 2 guest, both female, left a very strong perfume scent, which took 3 to 4 days to dissipate. Fortunately I did not have guest back to back and could air out the room at night when it is cool out. I will be posting on my listing , and in the room, request for limiting perfume or cologne use as I do have back to back bookings coming up. It was suggested by a friend that I state there will be an added cleaning fee if excessive perfume or cologne is used. 

Lauren487
Level 3
Boulder, CO

Please request air b n b have a fragrance free box to check in amenities. It would allow fragrance free guests who do not even wear perfume or cologne to find your rental. All you would need to do is use Unscented laundry products! 

I've been asking Airbnb to add more accessibility filters for fragrance-free rentals for YEARS. They seem completely resistant to making any accessibility changes in that area and it's beyond disappointing. It clearly would help a lot of people for a whole range of reasons.