Personal account vs. business account

Janet1047
Level 2
Chelsea, MI

Personal account vs. business account

I've been hosting one listing for 9 months under my personal account. I've received 30+ reviews and Superhost status. I'll be adding a second listing in the coming month and a third this Fall if all goes well. Before I add these future listings, I was considering switching to a business account. If I'm understanding, I will not be able to merge my current listing to a business account and will essentially need to start over with the two listings as both new. 

I'm wondering what's the advantage of a business account? If I intend to continue to expand, maybe even start my own website, am I better off with a business account? I'd appreciate any feedback others might share.

Thank you!

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Janet1047 

You can convert your personal account into a business account ( by adding your business details) , so the listings, reviews etc remains the same. In my country i needed to provide registration of the business (Chamber of Commerce+ verification) and VAT number (+ verification)

But things in US are probably different. Please note your business details will also be shown on your listings. If you create a separate business account, you can not merge existing listings later into it, so  indeed need to create the listings new under the buseniss account.

@Emiel1 Thank you for the reply. I'll re-check about converting it to a business account. Do you have any pros or cons to share about a business account vs. a personal one?

Matt4760
Level 1
Plymouth, United Kingdom

@Janet1047 In the UK you cannot count the income as business income through a limited company unless you have it registered as a business account

Otherwise you will need to declare the income to HMRC as personal income.

Both have their own pros and cons from a tax point of view so depends on your circumstances which you want to do 

how do you do that? I have been trying to figure that out today

Jacob583
Level 2
Corpus Christi, TX

are you in europe? based on the VAT...

did we ever find out if we can change from personal to business in the US?