Pet Fee Function Petition

Andrew2236
Level 1
Elfers, FL

Pet Fee Function Petition

I am creating this petition to have the developers of Airbnb create a "Pet Fee" function. The host will put the amount per pet and the guest should be able to check the box how many pets will be and the fees should automatically be added to the final cost of stay. 

I'm sorry Airbnb but the "Special Offer" you suggest is not the solution.

21 Replies 21
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Andrew2236 Good luck - hosts have been asking for this for years and years ... and I don't even allow pets! 

Angelica-Y-Jorge0
Level 10
Mazatlán, Mexico

@Andrew2236 we accept pets and just raised our price a bit for all reservations. I think these days if Airbnb added a pet fee guests could just claim they are service animals and you would not be able to charge for them anyway.

Jorge

@Angelica-Y-Jorge0 Fair point. I will actually never become a pet friendly listing on Airbnb even if they added the pet fee function, because, well, it's AIRBNB. They can't be trusted. Good luck with the petition anyway, @Andrew2236.

We have hosted for 6 years  and have allowed pets since the beginning. We do not charge a pet fee but instead raised the overall nightly price for all bookings. It is just plain easier.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I agree pet fee option would be helpful and Airbnb would earn more money with it. Because now, hosts just collect it in cash at arrival or through the resolution center without paying any service fee on it.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Andrew2236 All the best with your petition, really. It will be interesting as to whether Airbnb cares any more about it than they have cared about the feedback they have gotten asking for exactly that, for years.

As for me, I will never accept pets, because even though I have a dog and cat myself, I find most other pet owners  think whatever their darling pet does is just fine. When I go on holiday myself, I find someone to house and pet sit, I don't impose my animals on others.

I host people, not animals.

I totally agree. The problem I face is that I live and list my apartment in Florida. Florida has been rising with more and more people moving here, so they have to take their pets with them as they transition to this state. But at the same time, keeps my place rented out consistent.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

I'm not sure if a Pet Fee would ever work in some countries.

Some friends are currently staying in an ABB for the weekend in a rural area of New Zealand, messaged the Host beforehand and asked if the dog one of them was looking after whilst it's owner was away elsewhere in New Zealand could come and stay to and the Host happily agreed to allowing the dog to stay.

Win ,win all around.

Different strokes for different folks and each country to their own thanks.

BTW, Go and stay in Nepal, Thailand etc and the likes and dogs are everywhere roaming the streets , and they love their animals.

Any dog loving ABB user would love a holiday in those countries.

Don't suggest you ever venture there @Andrew2236 because perhaps it may not be for you !!

Maybe you could re word your Listing as one's own approach to these situations can make all the difference.

For some people, their pets are their children they may not have been able to have or are their to provide companionship due to a bereavement, help them with coping with bullying etc so it pays to keep an open mind all around.

All the best

Marcus-And-Amanda0
Level 2
San Antonio, TX

Not a bad idea since it could result in more hosts being more comfortable with pets. I currently allow dogs with no pet fee, since the vast majority of people who travel with their dogs are very responsible pet owners (can you imagine traveling with a dog that wasn’t well trained?). However, I do ask my guests to let me know ahead of time and tell them they are responsible for cleaning up any waste outside and any hair inside. I also leave a “pet kit” that includes couch covers, dog waste bags, pet hair rollers, pet cleaning chemicals as well as treats, bowls and a leash. I’ve hosted thousands of reservations with this strategy and I’ve never had any significant problems and definitely nothing that cost me money. So from that perspective, maybe Airbnb is worried about hosts taking advantage and discouraging pet owners from booking on their platform. There are already so many fees, a pet fee could be a hard pill to swallow  if it’s unreasonable. If your place is suitable for a pet, I would say try allowing a pet without charging a fee. The kind of people who travel with their beloved pet are also some of the cleanest and most appreciative guests that I get. I think it’s worth the small risk (provided the place is suitable). 

Cathy585
Level 2
Woodbridge, VA

Hi I would love to sign it. I have had multiple problems with that also. Might have to take pet friendly off my listing if doesnt resolve. That would be a shame.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Andrew2236 count me in! I would even settle for a toggle that allows the host to set the number and type of pets accepted and guests to fill that in as they do their reservation. Just like the ones we have for adults, infants and kids. But my hopes are not high. 

Jennifer1773
Level 10
Brevard, NC

Hi @Andrew2236  I am pet friendly and disagree with this approach. What has worked for me has been to "require" in my listing that guests bringing pets discuss details with me before booking. If the proposal is satisfactory to me, I do not charge an additional fee for pets. If it is not satisfactory, I do not host these guests and their pets. It is not always just about numbers. It can be the total number of pets and people--2 people and 2 pets is different than 4 people and 2 pets, depending on your listing. But it can also be about how the guests will be interacting with their pets while at my house. Are they bringing their pets on their hikes or leaving them at my house alone--crated or uncrated? This is critical and cannot be assessed by a number of pets feature during booking. In addition, my husband is highly allergic to cats, so hosting even one cat is not an option for us. Although we would all like things to be simpler, it might actually create more problems to try to simplify this process.

@Jennifer1773 YES!

It is not always just about numbers. It can be the total number of pets and people--2 people and 2 pets is different than 4 people and 2 pets, depending on your listing. But it can also be about how the guests will be interacting with their pets while at my house. Are they bringing their pets on their hikes or leaving them at my house alone--crated or uncrated? 

And add to that-- will the pets be supervised in the yard? Our yard is not fully fenced and there are lots of creatures to chase or be chased by wandering through. Guests who want to just let a dog out and call it back later will not be a good fit for our space. 

I am still in favor of some way to record that pets are coming and charge a fee if possible, however. We don't charge a fee now because its too complicated. So basically all of our guests pay a pet fee. 

@Laura2592 "We don't charge a fee now because its too complicated. So basically all of our guests pay a pet fee."  YES, that is where we are... not ideal but pretty good... probably 70% of our guests bring a dog or two. 

I do love that most of our guests who bring pets are awesome and grateful and do no harm. The last ones  did have a little pet related accident, but totally disclosed that and super-cleaned our cottage after the fact.