Pet Fee

Bowie1
Level 2
Asheville, NC

Pet Fee

Please allow the option to charge for Pets.  I'm considering asking people to consider a pet as an extra guest.  Not being able to do this makes it hard to allow for instant bookings the way that we would like to rent the property. 

8 Replies 8
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Hi @Bowie1 you can make your voice heard by reposting this great suggestion in the new Host Voice section

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Host-Voice/idb-p/host-voice

that is actively monitored by Airbnb.

Jenna15
Level 2
Orcutt, CA

That's a good idea about making the pet an extra guest until they add a pet fee as an extra charge. Much easier than other suggestions I have read like sending a special offer (confusing since it sounds like a discount) after the booking request or requesting an alteration. Having to collect it outside of airbnb is very inconvenient. But still, doing it as an extra guest we would have to ignore the original booking request and reply asking them to add the extra guest and resend the request, no?

Adding a pet fee as extra peron is a good short term solution.  I had a dog in our place for 10 days and I cleaned several hours and needed to vacuum the following day again because I would still see lot of dog hair.  In hotels I have paid $50+ dollar non refundable pet fee.   I have a request to bring a cat which makes me little bit nervouse to say yes. 

Airbnb, I know you've been hearing this suggestion lots - can't we PLEASE get a pet fee option? I have to decline booking requests and then send a special offer to add the fee, but none of the reasons you list as reasons for my decline is the actual reason I need to decline! It's a great thing for a host to be able to accomodate pets - why make it so challenging to do so? 

Seriously, what a hassle... Why is there no pet fee option yet? It takes an extra hour minimum for us to clean with a dog. Never had a cat stay, but I would imagine that could be worse.

Currently, all I can do is either charge $10/night for an "extra guest", or send a special offer, which NEVER goes over well with the guest, cancel the booking which doesn't help me out with ranking, or just claim extra cleaning as damages.

I have ever done the last one, but I considered it once... We had to clean for an extra 3 or 4 hours, until our next guests showed. Then we were still vacuuming up hair from a large, very hairy, white dog. I mean this lasted for weeks. It was ridiculous!

AirBnB NEEDS a pet cleaning fee! VRBO has one. So do all other booking sites.

@Meagan-And-Michael0  Yes, that would be the easiest option, but since Airbnb doesnt have this option yet - a good work around is to state in your listing you have a pet fee of $X, which will be requested via the Resolution Center prior to their arrival and must be accepted.  If the resolution is not accepted, the reservation will be canceled and check-in will not be allowed.

Frances18
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

hi all,

Agree with most of the comments here–it's unfair on guests who don't have pets to have to pay the same price, plus the workarounds are virtually impossible -  not worth the hassle to either the host for the guest and lead to crossed wires in communication. 

I would also like to see discounts for double occupancy of rooms, or alternatively an extra setting for double rooms that are occupied by singles only. Again, doubles are paying the same price as singles and essentially using the same amount of linen. Hotel room prices are based on double occupancy with discounts for singles - why cant airbnb do the same?

I se that this request re: pets has been ging on for nearly a year! Do something airbnb!

Frances18
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

PS I have tried the 'extra guest' option but found great resistance amongst guests who dont consider their pet a 'person' and insist that the pet is house trained and will not get on the furniture. They are right of course - so a smaller fee that the extra guest fee is appropriate and should be listed as an additional - ie separate - fee