Pet Fees - time for the community to get serious about this!

Terry54
Level 5
Johnson City, TX

Pet Fees - time for the community to get serious about this!

Today, I sent this to the Airbnb Resolutions Center. I'll update this thread with what I receive.

I do not understand, and have never received a clear answer, why Airbnb does not provide a pet fee (or pet cleaning fee) setting. Other hosting services do. Clearly this is not a technology issue but a policy issue. We allow pets but they require more cleaning, cost more to host (waste bags for example), and can do minor damage such as scratches on surfaces that are not worth a deposit claim but overtime accumulate and must be repaired. I simply want to know why Airbnb does not have such a fee -- what is the policy reason?

Do not tell me:
1) you can charge through the Resolution Center. We don't have to do that for the standard cleaning fee or extra guest fee so, why for pets? Completely illogical.
2) That "we're looking into it." I and many other hosts have been told that for years. It is simply not true.

22 Replies 22
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Terry54 

I agree with you.

Another thing I don't understand is why host guarantee doesn't cover damages done by pets? 

A pet is his owner's responsibility so what's the difference if the damage is done by a pet or his owner/guest?

slažem se, tako je i uvijek se računa zapravo kućni ljubimac da je jedan član još odnosno plus ili bi trebalo jer i on treba tamo gdje dođe da ima udobnost smještaja

Terry54
Level 5
Johnson City, TX

Here is the response that I received from Airbnb this morning. Passing the buck to another Airbnb group. I should add, I like Airbnb overall for both hosting and traveling. But, getting the runaround on a serious issue is not the way to build host loyalty. We'll see if they "get to the bottom of this" and I'll provide updates here.

Hi Terry,
Thank you for taking time to let us know how you feel.
Clearly we've upset you, and I want you to know that getting to the bottom of this is just as important to me as it is to you.
As of the moment this is how the system works, but it would be great if you can leave a feedback 
through this link: 
https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback
By leaving a feedback, this will help us improve our platform. We appreciate hosts who let us know when things aren't right and who take the time to give us their feedback. Thanks for caring so much.

@Terry54 That answer is just cringe-making.  "Clearly we've upset you."  Why is every communication so insanely passive-aggressive?  

I agree with you on the pet fee idea and will leave A feedback (more cringing) about it.

While we're on the subject, I let guests bring pets too.  But I'm just about to stop because they let dogs on the bed.  I don't care what they do at home, but don't think they should do that in a place where others will be using the bed.  What do you think about that?  I've just changed the house manual to say they'll forfeit their entire security deposit if they do it, and that we can always tell when dogs have been sleeping in the bed.  🙂

We deal with pets on the bed also and I understand why you would take the deposit or perhaps stop accepting guests completely. But, we've improved the situation by asking guests if they allow pets on the bed. If they say "yes" we say, "we'll remove our comforter and you can bring you own." That works pretty well here but then most of our guests drive in from surrounding cities to enjoy the country (and why so many bring their dogs). That might not work if your guests typically fly. 

In any case, it would hurt our occupancy rate to stop accepting pets. I wonder if Airbnb has considered that?

@Terry54  That's a good solution, to remove the comforter.  Most of my guests fly in, though.  

But if the dogs are on the bed, then the dogs are on the couch, and chair, and loveseat...   Which is why I stipulate no dogs on furniture - and, if they leave the dog while gone, I stipulate they must crate them.  And even though they break the rule, at least, I know the dogs aren’t on the furniture while they’re gone...  If they think this is unreasonable, it’s OK by me...  they can find another venue.

Wow, I’ve received that type of feedback and it’s condescending as hell.  They may as well say this is how the system works, too freaking bad because there’s nothing we’re going to do about it.  You clearly already sent them feedback and they are what - too lazy to enter it into the system so they want you to replicate what you already told them in a different manner?    I’ve spoken to them on the phone about this issue and written to them and I know that many others have - and it’s now Sept 2019 and what has been done?  I’ve seen no improvement to their platform for this and it’s likely one of the most simple of fixes yet..

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

With hundreds of posts about a pet fee here on CC, I really don't think they need any more feedback.

But now, hotels are joining Airbnb and they will probably require a pet fee so we might get it after all. 

David305
Level 3
Diever, The Netherlands

I have seen numerous hosts asking about why there is no Pet Fee setting on countless Host Q&A feedback sessions.

What is so difficult in building this into the site? Or, is it that Airbnb doesn't want to expand the extra costings available to guests when booking (because maybe they think, where do you draw the line, as there will always be hosts who want to charge for high-chairs or kitchen towels as well?)

Our Airbnb guests turned up last Friday with a small dog. No mention was made of this in their communication before booking, or anytime after, up to arrival. We state in our listing description that we accept a maximum of 2 large dogs and the charge is €20 per dog. The lady did ask if there was a charge for her pet when they arrived, and I said that it is €20. She said that she didn't have enough cash, and would transfer the amount if I sent her our bank details. Other guests have had the pet fee stuffed in their back pocket and have only paid up when I asked for it, hoping that I had forgotten about it. It is really tiresome to have to go after this payment, and some guests seem to think that you are being petty when you stand there when they arrive and ask for it. There are not many guests in my experience who arrive and hand you the payment. The pet fee needs to be handled via the site. It is a genuine fee as dogs mean extra cleaning of rugs, sofas,etc. and not forgetting all the hair plastered onto the little felt pads on the bottom of all your chair legs!

On other sites, pet fee collections are a pain as well. On VRBO, guests tick 'Pet Fee' when booking and €20 is added to their quotes when they book our property. They then turn up with four dogs. There is no way to increase the fee by the number of pets and you have to try and get the rest of the money off them when they arrive.

It amazes me how often the Airbnb site has to be adjusted and updated, but still lacks features that other sites have had up and running for so long.

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Terry54  It is baffling why they haven't added a pet fee option yet. But you won't get anywhere with CS or any other route. I've only been a host a little over a year, but from my research, this issue has been going on for many, many years. They are well aware that hosts want this.

I did get approached by someone here in the CC wanting me to answer some questions about pet fees and pets in my listing for "research." Perhaps they are starting to move in that direction?

Terry54
Level 5
Johnson City, TX

Branka, Silvia, David, and Suzanne, thanks for your comments. It's obvious that Airbnb needs to address this issue in two ways: 1. Start by just being transparent about why they resist helping hosts recover their time and costs for hosting pets. It's a service. Many hosts don't accept pets. Those that do should be systematically reimbursed. 2. Work with the Community to develop a solution that will address this need.

I know many have raised this issue for years. I suggest the way to get attention is by massive host engagement and refusal to accept non-answers and non-action. Let's post all the responses we get from Airbnb so that the transparency begins with us.

One reason this is so frustrating is that Airbnb is good service for hosts and guests. Their failure to address this is extremely puzzling. Why can we not get straight answers?

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Terry54 nevermind the difficulty of collecting the small fee -- ABB ToS specifically disallow covering damage from pets so my ABB listing says "no animal guests of any type".

Why would I agree to host any creature that has the dictated right to damage anything and have me stuck paying for it??

@Kelly149 

yes, it's catch22 - Airbnb will not cover the damage made by pet so you should take a security deposit from the guest in cash. And the dog fee in cash.  But Airbnb doesn't allow collecting cash.

So, hosts don't have a choice and don't host pets. It's a pity.

But the worst is - we HAVE TO host emotional support animals FOR FREE !