Pet-Friendly Hosts...How do you collect a pet fee?

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

Pet-Friendly Hosts...How do you collect a pet fee?

I am just curious as to the different ways hosts collect pet fees. After realizing it's easier to get a guest to accept a refund (via change reservation) than it is to request extra money, I build my pet fee into the cleaning fee and simply change the reservation to $25 less if a guest is not bringing a pet.

This has worked quite well, but I've always wondered if:

1) I miss out on some bookings from guests without pets, because my price will seem high in a specific date search. (although I had 100% occupancy in June and 91% for July)

2) If this method screws up my stats, because in order to change the reservation, I can only adjust the "per night" price and a $40 night suddenly goes down to $15 per night for a one-night booking.

Thoughts?

I'd love to see other ways hosts handle this just to compare. (I've searched the forum as well) This would be sooooo much easier if ABB would just add a freakin' pet fee button already!

And for the record, I love hosting guests with dogs!

93 Replies 93
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Suzanne302  Wouldn't it be easier to put in your House Rules a Pet Fee of $xx will be charge after booking if you are bring a Pet. Then you send a Request for Money to people who are bringing pets. They accept and your prices are not elevated. 

@Letti0 As I mentioned, the only reason I don't do that is because when I've asked for the pet fee, guests have to be reminded several times and usually wait until the last minute and several reminders before sending additional money.

Every single time I've sent a change to reduce the price, the guest responds within minutes to accept!

I suppose I could change the way I do it and put in my rules that pet fee must be paid within 24 hours of booking or something, but then I run the nightmare of having to enforce that...

Also people using Klarna you have to think about.. yall are funny and i cant help but laugh at all of you.. airbnb AUTOMATICALLY ADDS THE PETS TO THE TRIP WITHOUT YOU DOING IT SILLY and also you dont have a contract between you and the said guests so no one hands over anything until there is an agreement from airbnb SPECIFICALLY and yes incase you numb nuts are wondering this is hurting you more than benefiting your pockets like you thought it would.. ill be sure to look out for all of your airbnbs and report them for fraudulent activity because you dont collect money without a contract and or AIRBNB saying you can.. if you wanna act like a private renter get off the app and go be one and stop being a friggin weirdo and saying you pay me after booking.. NO AIRBNB TOLD ME WHAT I OWE AND WHATS TO BE PAID BEFORE I ACCESS YOUR PROPERTY IF THAT ISNT MENTIONED GUESS WHO HAS TO PUT UP OR SHUT UP? You!!! 😂 this is gonna be funny to watch all of your reviews go from five stars to 1 😂👏

You're responding to a post from 6 years ago before the pet fee could be added automatically. At that time, hosts not only could collect them separately but had to collect them separately. You might want to check your info before you come on and yell about stuff next time. 

OK

I'm going to ask you the expert on this.

What IF my guest brings 2 dogs and only pays for 1 dog?

Does the pet fee include all dogs???

I was scammed by pet owner who stated they had 2 dogs but only paid for one. When I asked for updated payment for the other she came back claiming all of a sudden that they were service dogs.

So often they don't even disclose that they are bringing a pet.  The neighbors tell me later, or I am greeted with fur balls when cleaning.  Why cant AB&B just charge the fee upfront?  I've never received a satisfactory answer!

Hi @Letti0 When the guest accepted the payment request for the pet fee, she said it's not going through, it just leads her back to the messages. any idea what is wrong? thank you

@Myleen2 they need to be in the browser to accept (airbnb.com). there's a glitch with the app or something where it just sends them back to messages.

Hi @Letti0 

Have you had problems with guest bringing pets and don't paying the fee? I have some issues they don't pay the fee even after I send a request.

Thanks,

Marnie58
Level 2
Golden Beach, Australia

I'm new to hosting so can i ask how you send a Request for Money after a booking is made?

@Marnie58 did anyone ever answer your question?  I'm new hosting as well and trying to figure that out also

You have to put your fees in your booking otherwise airbnb does not count it if the person refuses to pay.. if you are a pet friendly place you need to have the funds to back up the property damage otherwise dont rent to those who have dogs the parking fees and crap yall do aside from what airbnb is charging us and making us agree to is illegal and in some states holds no merit in court without a signed agreement.. and the client agreeing to airbnbs policies are different from signing off on your policies.. simply cant charge extra for pet fee you just have to do a cleaning fee and if you do for one you must do for all otherwise being an airbnb owner isnt your forte

@Letti0

I think the problem is that some guests that don't "accept" the request for money. When guests get a notice to accept money from a host I'm sure they will click accept at lightning speed whereas, when the guest needs to shell out more money on top of their initial payment, even if it is for a service they specifically asked for and said they would pay for, they will take their time agreeing to the payment.

Guests are totally aware that no host is going to kick the guests out or refuse entry to guests who paid $300 for a 2 night reservation, just because they didn't pay a $30~40 pet fee. 

@Suzanne302

Even if the pet fee collected initially which will be refunded brings your rates up higher, if being pet friendly gives you a competitive advantage in your area. I'd be interested to know how this difference would affect bookings.