Pet Policy and Service Animals

William247
Level 3
Springfield, TN

Pet Policy and Service Animals

Our cottage listing has a "No Pets" policy stated in the listing. Yesterday afternoon  I received the following message: 

Airbnb: Kwxyz for Sep 25-27, 'Hello William, How strict is your pet policy? I am asking for a friend who has two service animals.'.  

A number of things about that inquiry made me suspicions that this was someone who just wanted to bring their pets and was looking for a way around the pet policy. For example I think people with true service animals know that the law allows them to bring the animals regardless of the pet policy. They have two service animals - possible but not as likely. They were asking "for a friend". They didn't specify what kind of animals they were. 

In reply, I sent the following: 

Are the service animals required because of a disability and what tasks have the animals been trained to perform?

I haven't had any response to the reply.  What do you think I should have done? I don't want to deny anybody who truly has a service animal, bit don't want to accommodate people just wanting to bring their pets.

50 Replies 50
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Robin129

How did she get your number? Would this have been an AirBnB booking?

David

The program requires you to provide a contact number. They link to your website. It was not through Airbnb. 

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.

Well then normal rules apply, Emotional Support Dogs, I have one, can be safely banned,

David

I just had someone staying with us for a week over the christmas Holiday; He did not mentioned he was going to have families over for a Christmas Dinner; nor did I know that he had a dog. Before checking in he had asked if dogs were allowed we said no. On garbage day I went to get the garbage no one was home I opened the garage door a dog was barking. I didn't say or do anything but after check out; the whole house inside and outside was full of dog's hair. Since I had a no pet policy the cleaning person wasn't prepared to spend the amount of time needed to clean the property. I sent him a note thanking him for cleaning up the best he could, and telling him,  he should have told me so that he had a pet I would have been prepared for the clean up; Be honest or find a place that accepts pets. He answered that it was a service animal; He doesn't have to diclose it according to airbnb policy; and that he knows I am new to airbnb unfortunately he had to report me to airbnb for discrimination.

I don't get it? could something like this really be looked at as discrimination. 

@Suze6

Of course not but many Guests know how to work the ABB system.

In realty there is nothing you can do but thumbs down and keep the review simple and factual.

David

You should report him for having an event (families over for Christmas Dinner) a direct violation of your house rules.  

Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

@Suze6  You have to ask yourself "If a guest needs a Service Dog, why would they leave that Service Dog behind in a rental while they go out for the day?"

I notice from your profile that you have just one listing.  That in itself actually excludes you from complying with the ADA requirements for Service Dogs.  But, you work in the Real Estate Industry?  That, might change things if a guest or potential guest wants to be a jerk (or not).

I'd suggest you do some research on your own.  The Federal Government has plenty of websites and publications that cover this issue.  Read the regulations.  They start out with what you MUST do.  But after listing all those things, they list exemptions.  Understand those exemptions.  They are all the rebuttal and or ammunition you need.  Most of us qualify as being exempt.  Your guest will quote the first part of the regulations.  You can set them straight by quoting the very last part of the regulations.

In your search for answers look for this:

The Fair Housing Amendments Act of 1988 extended the protections of Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968 (the Fair Housing Act) to people with disabilities. This is the law that applies to most forms of housing, including most rental housing and most condominiums. Exceptions to this law include buildings with four or fewer units where the landlord lives in one of the units, and (b) private owners who do not own more than three single family houses, do not use real estate brokers or agents, and do not use discriminatory advertisements.

Per AirBnb rules, a service dog should be needed by their owner, therefore cannot be left in the home alone. This to me proves that this was not a service animal at all...
I know it's well past the time of this post, but it might help someone else along the way 😃

I'm not sure that is accurate.

Robbyn0
Level 2
Palo Alto, CA

Having  a service animal myself i get a red flad when someone says they have two service animals. A service dog does a specific task for the handler so why would a handler need more than one? The dog is trained for the needs of the handler.  I would ask qhat rask does the dog provide if they give you a condition that dog is not trained. 

@Robbyn0  There is an exception to this rule. Someone with seizure issues. They may require 2 dogs as the dog needs to sleep and have been trained to do shifts, so they actually do need two. 

Dior4
Level 1
Gold Coast, Australia

Wow if you truly had a service dog you would know you don't ask what the dog is for its disrespectful! As a dog trainer I know you can have two and be trained for seperate or same reason as other reply states. Shame on you for not standing up for assistance dog owners who respect privacy and should never be  asked to disclose why!

William247
Level 3
Springfield, TN

When I started this post, I didn't realize how this thread would evolve.  Thanks everyone for posting your perspectives (especially those who do have legitimate service dogs).  

A few days ago, I got an Airbnb inquiry from woman with a service dog.  She politely introduced herself, her husband, and her service dog.  Told me a little bit about themselves and the service dog including what the dog does for her, the age and sex of the dog, and promising to follow any rules I had about the dog and the furniture. 

This is the first time I have had a person with an actual service animal inquire about our cottage and it happened exactly as I expected (and hoped) it would.  She was up front about the dog, stated what it did for her, and didn't try to bludgeon me about not being able to refuse her.  I pre-approved her inquiry immediately.  

The interaction with an actual service dog owner only reinforces my opinion that the woman who prompted me to start the thread was simply a pet owner trying to "game" the system and get her pets past a no pets rule.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

US only, ut Airlines do have a lot more opportunities to ask for documentation.

However AirBnB hosts are bound by the AirBnB non descrimination policy which is basically an honor system, if the Guest says it is an Assistance Animal that is all that is needed.

As an Assistance Animal is not a pet in AirBnB speak it does not need to be disclosed to a Host.

David
Judy-Helm0
Level 2
Montana, United States

The times I have gone against my gut and allow a dog to come along....I HAVE BEEN SORRY.

Now we just have a no pets policy and admit that we are animal lovers and have two dogs of our own they can share while they are here.

Best of luck in your endeavors,

Judy Helm Wright--Author/PetParent/IntuitiveWiseWoman