Pet fees

Valerie696
Level 2
California City, CA

Pet fees

Hello!

We have a place with a fenced yard, and only tile and hardwood floors.  I thought it would be nice to make it "pet friendly".

A guest came with a little white terrier.  It took me about 8 hours of brushing, picking hair by hand to free the blankets, pillows, cushions, matress covers from its hair.  Some items had to be discarded.

I tried to set a pet fee, but can't ask for more than the amount of one nightly fee.  And this won't do.

How can I get around this?

Second, how can I adjust the fee to the risk?  A large breed puppy can be more risky than an adult poodle...  (Eventhough you never know!!...)

I'm curious finding out how you navigate all this...

Valerie

4 Replies 4
Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

I don't think larger dogs are an issue. I've got a long list of reasons why, I won't repeat here. Also, a standard poodle IS actually a large dog..... just sayin'

That aside, we are generally all in agreement that creating a pet rule that is one fee for a seemingly unlimited amount of pets and nights, is just utterly awful. I started at $20 as a pet fee, and have pushed it to $30. So far i've only encountered one wee (by a small dog no less! hehe) and a few hairs on a doona cover (again, small dog was allowed onto the bed with the owner despite what my house rules request), but i'm waiting for something more serious like chewed furniture. I'm not sure how I will handle that if it ever happens. 

Mikki0
Level 10
Long Beach, CA

I can't even set a pet fee. Is it hidden in some secret spot, because it's not a choice under pricing/standard fees and charges. 

@Gillian166  After reviewing several concerns on this board, is it possible to set the pet fee, a cleaning fee, and a security deposit then use all of them for pet cleanup and damages?

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Mikki0 
Pet fees are under Pricing and Availability. shouldnt' be too hard to find. 
you can't increase your cleaning fee based on whether a pet is present. We did recently get a new feature of a 2 level cleaning fee, one for short stays (2 days) and longer stays.  
Likewise you can't add a security deposit if there's a pet. 

I've hosted a dozen pet stays now and the majority of them have been trouble free with no damage and minimal extra cleaning required (can't say the same for some humans! ha), but I do wish we had the option to charge per pet, per night, like we can for humans. I've got guests coming next week for a week long stay, bringing 2 dogs and they are paying $30 extra for the privilege. bargain!

Yeah pet fees aren’t listed. I called customer service to help me. They told me to add to my house rules then use resolution to charge! 

I’ll call again to get someone else and see if I get a different answer.