"Pet friendly" filter causes confusion with potential guests

Chris140
Level 1
Topeka, KS

"Pet friendly" filter causes confusion with potential guests

I recently had a guest book my place for over a month which then caused me to check out of where I was staying early (so still paid) and then drove all the way home ending some important business functions and money making opportunities in order to accommodate my guest as she was planning on arriving the next day.

Two hours later, she cancelled because I told her she would not be allowed to bring her dog since I have a cat and no other animals are allowed. My listing has this marked, as in I do not allow pets and I have a pet. She said she filtered search results for "pet friendly" listings which is why she booked thinking her dog could stay. If Airbnb is showing listings which do not allow animals, that is not pet friendly in my opinion. Therefore, I think I should still get my first month rent paid and she should also receive credit because it sounds like it was not her fault and not my fault, but the fault of poor filtering results.

What are your thoughts on this matter?

Ckb
16 Replies 16

@Ed237It's a really poor system, yeah. I've tried to use it again since and have never been successful. I don't want to book a place that makes you leave your dog in the garage or yard (yes, some hosts actually require this) or require crating. It's a waste of everybody's time. 

Airbnb just deals with pets really poorly, and it's going to get worse as time goes on. 

I'm more frustrated with Airbnb's response to customer's complaints - deny there is a problem and do nothing.  If a host wants to put in those restrictions, that's their decision - it's their property.  They won't get very many takers and I would just tell them to not allow pets.  Clearly, someone that puts those kind of restrictions in their rules doesn't have a pet and may not even know someone that does!  My problem is the platform. 

I recently saw the CEO of Marriot respond to question about Airbnb: "I met with them years ago.  It's the first time I heard of a business that was able to get travelers to rate the hosts and the hosts to rate the travelers without any rating of their platform itself.  We could never get away with that."  Marriot has at least 3 major brands that allow pets now, btw.  One or two is competitive with the average listings here, but they are hotels not homes...but they are getting there.

I'm hoping the money Airbnb loses will wake them up.  Until then VBRO has a useful platform.  Thanks for responding!