Pet rule broken

Christina529
Level 2
Longmont, CO

Pet rule broken

Hello,

We had a  booking for 2 guests (husband & wife) in our 3bd/2ba property.  Our property listing has a no pet rule and also mentiones driveway security camera. We noticed the guests go into the house for about 10min and then leave. They came back after 15min and the wife took 2 dogs through the fence door into the backyard. I am assuming that when they came the first time, they must have gone in to leave the backyard door from the house open and then brought the dogs through the backyard assuming the camera wouldn't spot it. We tried calling both their listed phone numbers but one was switched off and they did'nt pick up the other one. We spoke to airbnb customer support and they gave us the following options:

1. Call them and have them leave (we loose the booking and the money)

2. Call them and charge a pet fee

3. Airbnb can call them and have them leave (we loose the booking and the money)

We sent them an email stating we have a no pet rule as we entertain guests with pet allergies in our property so we asked them to call us back.

The next morning the wife sends an email stating that they have a service dog (she only mentions one dog and not dogs). She also states that because of airbnb policy they are not required to disclose bringing in a service dog and that their phone batteries died so she couldn't respond sooner.

What is the best course of action that you would recommend? If it was a service dog situation, is it normal for people to bring in 2 dogs? We do have the video recording of them bringing in 2 dogs through the backyard door and not going in through the front door.

25 Replies 25

Your best option is to go to the home and have them leave.  AirBNB has been completely ineffective in resolving an unapproved party and the subsequent damage. They do not stand behind their stated "insurance".

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

You are in a tough spot...

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1869/what-is-an-assistance-animal

You can ask

1. Whether the assistance animal is required because of a disability
  2. What work or task the animal has been trained to perform

I would, on the Airbnb platform, ask these questions and point out that there are two dogs, so you'd like the answers for both. Then I would try to have Airbnb cancel their reservation and ask them to leave. Yes, you will lose the revenue, but you don't want these guests.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Personally I would have asked AIRBNB to contact them and ask the guest to leave, rather than just messaging them. Airbnb shouldn't have said the guests would get a refund as they had broken your house rules.

I agree ask them the questions you are allowed to under US legislation and remind the guests that as they are service dogs, they must accompany them at all times and not be left at the property.

Don't believe their phoned died.

It is highly unlikely that that one person who have two service animals.

Or they would feel the need to sneak them in, if they were service animals.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I think that a 'service dog' is supposed to be with their person at all times, so if you can find out if they are leaving the dog/dogs in the house or yard while they are out, then it would be proof that its a lie that either dog is a service dog.   And, yes, as Lisa says, you can ask them what service is the dog trained to perform...

I doubt it's a service dog, they are probably scammers and will give you a bad review no matter what.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Christina529 so do you live far away???  I would go to the place immediately and see what's up - the 2 questions are correct. BUT, anyone with a true service dog is NOT  gonna sneak them in and I can't believe you let them stay the night. NOW your place is full of dog - no people don't have 2 service dogs - and you CAN NOT charge a fee for service dogs. IF you allow regularly dogs you can charge for that BUT YOU DON'T - so it is not a question. 

I would have called Airbnb and told them the people hid two dogs into the property and you are going over there and for Airbnb to please call the people and have them re -housed in a dog friendlly place. Stress to Airbnb about Allergies! 

So she calls back and lies about the 1 service dog --- 2 dogs - I would get them out - You should receive some monies esp. since they have stayed the night and BROKEN your houserules. We do NOT have to bend rules to accomodate guests! If we do it will be trouble, just about every time. Keep us posted. good luck, Clara

@Clara116While I do agree with your points in this post, you are very incorrect about one fact.  Some people DO have two service dogs.  I'm not saying I beleive that's the case here (as they would have said 2 at the time, not one).  However, as this comment is on the internet forever, it's important that people get correct information.  There are many situations where someone can have two service dogs.  One for mobility (like a Great Dane) and one for seizures (a medium or smaller dog that can't do mobility work), for example.  Tandem teams are also not uncommon when one is about to be retired and is being used to train up the other.  Just be aware that two service dogs, while more rare than an actual service dog, are very possible (although not likely, in this case).

@Andy184  Hey thanks.....I wasn't even thinking outside of my narrow head. You are so right there could be 2 service dogs for a person with different challenges............oh that poor person that must have so much help, BUT great if they can get it. I appreciate your letting me know and being so tactful about it. That says alot about you as a person. 

Thanks again, Clara

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Christina529 After looking at your listing just a couple things - since you live 10 mins away and say that and have self check in - I would meet and greet all my guests! That way it will help with sneaking in more people, dogs, and young kids renting for a party. I would not say how far we live from the place - I would instead say we are just around the corner so we will be checking on your stay to make sure everything is going great. . That way those that think they can bring in 50 friends and have a RAVE party will not even think twice. Or dogs, etc. I think you might have a challenge with charging extra after what 6 - I would charge extra after 4 - cause my guess is that with 6 they will just wanna sneak in 2 - but 4 is tricky. Just my take on it. good luck, Clara

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Christina529

Christina, nothing is going to get you a good review here! These 'guests' are aware that you are displeased with them and they will strike back in the review. And that is possibly the best part about this hosting. The worst part is the damage the dogs may do. Don't try to placate these guests, just get them out. They obviously have no regard for your house rules, it's about them, not you!

Contact Airbnb support again, and explain that you have video evidence of your current guests breaking your house rules. The ace you have up your sleeve Christina is.....you have video evidence of the guests arriving without an assistance animal and proceed to spend time in your listing making preparations to leave and return with not one animal, but two. To almost any normal human being this will suggest this is not an assistance animal hosting, your rules are being broken and you please want assistance in having the guest removed.

If the CS person refuses, ask to be passed on to a Supervisor, you have that right. If the Supervisor is hesitant inform he/she, the video evidence of the reason you requested help from Airbnb is so compelling you have no problem with making this video evidence public. There is no point in having a house rules policy if the company are not going to enforce it....get rid of it from the 'Terms of Service'!

Christina this is becoming a serious issue! Guests who have pets that they wish to travel with are well aware of the assistance animal clause and obviously will find ways to exploit it and this is a failing in the definitions of the clause which Airbnb need to address. Hosts need to have the right to refuse entry to guests who have not  provided prior medical evidence of assistance/support animal status....And this needs to be stated on the reservation confirmation.

Good luck with this one Christina, I am sorry you have struck this so early in your hosting career.

Cheers......Rob

@Christina529 After reading through everything, it appears to be a difficult situation.

I would agree 100% with @Robin to kick them out ASAP.

BUT here the (ridiculous) US-Law (and of cause Airbnb policy is confirm):

You can NOT ask for documentation for service dogs!

The guests don't need to tell you in advance.

You have to accept guests with a service dog.

AND OF CAUSE 😉  NO extra fee allowed (anti-discrimination law)

Perhaps this works?:

I would email Airbnb to recognize the (ONE) "service dog" and would kick them out for the 2nd dog on your video.

"...Thanks for letting us know that guests came with a service dog.

Of cause this is not a problem. But however, there is a 2nd dog on our property in

violation of our house rules. Therefore I cancel the rental agreement..."

Good luck with your review :-0

Airbnb Q & A

Do guests have to disclose the presence of an assistance animal before booking?

No. While guests are not required to disclose the presence of an assistance animal before booking, we always encourage transparent communication to ensure a smooth experience for all.

Is it okay to charge an additional fee, or increase the cleaning fee, to accommodate the assistance animal?

No, under Airbnb’s Nondiscrimination Policy, hosts cannot charge extra fees to guests with an assistance animal.

Is it okay to request documentation for an assistance animal?

Airbnb does not require documentation when traveling with an assistance animal. In the United States, guests are not required to provide documentation for a service animal and there is no legally recognized certification process for service animals. 

The law states:

§ 35.136 Service animals
(f) Inquiries. A public entity shall not ask about the nature or extent of a person’s disability, but may make two inquiries to determine whether an animal qualifies as a service animal. A public entity may ask if the animal is required because of a disability and what work or task the animal has been trained to perform. A public entity shall not require documentation, such as proof that the animal has been certified, trained, or licensed as a service animal. Generally, a public entity may not make these inquiries about a service animal when it is readily apparent that an animal is trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability (e.g., the dog is observed guiding an individual who is blind or has low vision, pulling a person’s wheelchair, or providing assistance with stability or balance to an individual with an observable mobility disability).

@Giedre-and-Andre0

Hi Andre,

these US regulations imply, that everyone can travel with an unlimited number of dogs stating these are service animals, no matter if it is true or not.

In my country, Germany, this would be impossible.

@Ute42 I'm here in New York (I call it: 3rd World with Skyline) since 2010 and very fast,

I had to learn that "EVERYTHING is possible" here in USA... and NOT always in a good  way :-0

@Ute42 Here an example to make sure

you lose your Broker Licence (Real Estate) ASAP
and get hit with a $30,000 fine (for first offences and than it goes up) :

"...this family friendly house is located in a spanish neighborhood,
next to a beautiful church... the master bedroom has 2 large his and her closets... 

family: whats about singles??? = $30K
spanish: racial discrimination / Redlining = $30K
church: discrimination based on religion = $30K
master: racial discrimination = $30K
his and her: gender discrimination = $30K

NOT A JOKE!!! ;-)))

@Giedre-and-Andre0

good lord. How glad am I to live in the bavarian outback.