Pets or no pets

Don195
Level 1
Weaverville, NC

Pets or no pets

We are new to AIRB&B hosting. We have an open pet policy that on our second guest was broken. They did not tell us of the dog and when we had gone to walk our dogs on leash theirs was roaming the grounds unattended. Bad enough that we are surrounded by 200 acres of woods and mountains that an Aussie could get lost in but there was almost a conflict with our dogs.  We were polite and let them know the dog must be contained. They complied. NOW, they leave for the evening and call us andsay they will be late and could we let the dog out....WHAT? OK, still trying to be good hosts we went in the house and instead of being behind a gate in laundry he is roaming the house and scared of us. When we finally corall him he has peed on the floor. The guests are appologetic and claim to be leaving us extra money. Not good enough. The pet policy is done with. Never again.  We are surprised that AIRB&B does not account for a pet deposit in their mark up. One must find it in the rules and leave it up to us to collect....Why? They could make their percentage on that extra cost. Still steaming because they don't leave until tomorrow noon, so we shall see what they leave us.........Question : How do others handle a pet policy? Regardless, I believe we are done.

4 Replies 4
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Don195, if you still want to allow pets, you could be clearer on your listing on the rules around pets and perhaps create enclosed outdoor areas for pets (if there isn't one already). For example, guidelines could include that pets must not be allowed to roam the grounds unattended, pets must be left outside if the guests are not at home, etc. You could also charge extra for a pet if you think that would help cover additional cleaning costs, etc. Anyway, sounds like you have made up your mind - probably easier to just not allow pets!

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Don195 what do you mean by "open pet policy"?

It is indeed regrettable that Airbhb does not have a pet fee feature. However, you can still have a pet fee; you just have to include in in your house rules and administrate it yourself via the resolution center.

The behavior of these guests seems well outside the normal range. 

Jeremiah26
Level 2
Denver, CO

Not sure if this works for everyone but I simply specify in my listing that pets are an additional guest; with my 2 guest limit and additional guest fee, I generally cover costs through that means. That does mean a solo traveler with their animal I usually accept as is with no additonal fee. You can also always decline a pre-approval and submit them an offer based on the circumstance. So far, all guests with animals I have mention their furry friends in their request. Attention to detail is important, if it helps, sit down at the computer and check your guest out prior to approval.

Jeremiah26
Level 2
Denver, CO

So they finally included this fee, I just have not seen it successfully applied to my last two guests with pets. Here is how a guest can search and include their pet (I am guessing 10% of guests actually do this) and where you can include the fee as a host, under additional charges.

Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 8.24.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 8.29.20 PM.png