Pets

Diana271
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Pets

Has anyone had a situation where their pet has been harmed by guest negligence?

I have had a very unsatisfactory resolution to a situation involving a guest breaking house rules. Through their negligent actions my pet ended up in the emergency room. His life was saved, but the cost was high. At the time the guest agreed to pay at least 50 percent of the bill. When it came down to it, they only paid 20 percent of the bill, after initially only offering 10 percent, through the Resolution Centre. Airbnb was subsequently unable to get them to pay the full agreed 50 percent and instead of helping reach that goal, only gave me another 10 percent, through a discretionary account. 

This has been a very distressing experience. I would argue that Airbnb has to do more as a company to support both hosts and guests with pets. Otherwise, encouraging pet owner participation through listings, advertisements and on social media is both hypocritical and irresponsible. 

1. Since pets damages are NOT covered under the Host Guarantee, at minimum, clear  language to that effect should appear at numerous stages in the listing and booking process to alert consumers and help them consider their choices. 

2. They should discourage the use of the #airbnbpets hashtag and not feature pets or pet owners in any of their advertising, stories, or social media platforms. 

6 Replies 6
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Diana271  I am so shocked and sorry to hear about harm to your pet, but relieved to hear the pet will recover.  I don't recall seeing any posts about your type of situation before.  I am not clear what Air BNB's responsibility is in this situation and frankly wonder if they know what their responsibility is other than to seek some compensation under the security deposit.  I do know that your issue is with the guest for their behavior.  You don't provide details about the behavior that led to your pet's harm, but I wonder if you could take them to small claims court.  

I also have a pet in my shared home listing and even refer to her as my "co-host".  Many guests enjoy her and mention her in my reviews.  There is limited time when a guest would be alone with my dog, however.  I have also travelled with the dog and stayed at an Air BNB home where she was accepted and she was never left  at the home without me.  

@Linda108 I agree with you, I don't believe Airbnb, or at least the Case Manager staff, are aware of the best way to handle this situation. I think it's lovely to be able to refer to an animal as a 'co-host,' travel with them or stay in a place where they reside (my pups are in my reviews as well). But to quote one of the Case Managers I spoke to "pets are not considered property" so have no coverage under their policies. Nor are they considered family members under the policy either, putting them in an uncovered grey area. Consequently, I'm not sure that either guests or hosts are really adequately prepared to deal with trauma or harm to pets as a potential result of this business transaction with Airbnb. 

At the time of this incident, my house rules were clear, I was home, and the guests had very clear instructions about where my pets could be or not be, depending on the presence of a human. They were pet owners themselves. They were negligent and I had to carry the financial burden of their behavior. It is indeed unfortunate. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Diana271

You don't say how the guest harmed your dog and it sounds like a terrible experience for you.

As Airbnb are proving difficult would it not be easier to claim on your pet insurance/home insurance covering short term lets?

Hope your dog is feeling much better.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Diana271@Helen3  It is always heartbreaking when a pet is harmed.  I think it is a broader issue about how pets are viewed - neither family members or property says it all.  As a dog owner, I feel the strong emotions of that relationship, but that is legally irrelevant when it comes to liability of others.  Recently my greyhound was severly bitten by another dog in a dog park.  When I attempted to hold the owner of the German Shepherd responsible for the $1800 in vet fees or at least equally responsible, it was deemed that I was solely responsible because we were at a dog park.

I also have a Dog and am a Host.

Assuming he was say attacked by a Guests Dog and needed treatment then any costs would not be something I would think of involving AirBnB in, do not see where they would come into the issue.

If there is a legal liability dispute situation then that would be a matter for the Courts not AirBnB.

David
Sue162
Level 6
Hervey Bay, Australia

We keep our small dogs and cats separate to the front yard where our guests can have their pets. We have a rule that any visiting dog is dog and cat friendly. Have never had a problem. There is no way we would let a guest dog interact with our small dogs just in case.. We enjoy hosting families with their pets and will always be pet friendly.