Phishing Text Message Scam

Phishing Text Message Scam

Several folks have reported getting text messages requesting them to login to their account and verify it "or else your account will be supended".

Don't do it! Its a scam!

AirBnB is investigating!

12 Replies 12
Andre35
Level 1
Sarasota, FL

I received that exact text, and went looking for answers.  Thank you for making it easy. 

Manish1
Level 1
Houston, TX

Just got a message for the same scam.  Text messages says " Dear Airbnb user, please login to your account at http://airbnb.com-bmb.com/login/verify=phone number  or else we will suspend your account".  What threw me off was i never received any kind of message like this in the past several months and the fact that the link had a "airbnb.com-bmb.com".  I did open it up just to see where it went and it just hung there and never opened up the page.  I would never open anytning up or do anythning first without calling airbnb.  Too many scams out there. 

MJ

Michael633
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

I received this today as well, asking me to vist (www.) airbnb-accounts.com/confirm/ (don't click the link its a fake site)*

*Link removed

Juan137
Level 1
Lausanne, Switzerland

The sms I got has the folllowing text:

Dear <My Name>, you need to confirm your AirBnB e-mail address. More details: tr.im/airbnb-account/ [link hidden]

AirBnB.

Originating number: +16467603694

This happened after a few days of receiving a legitimate air bnb from a host, that was fwd to my mobile via sms.
I would think the numbers get leaked as part of the sms sending flow. Some service is fwd the numbers, otherwise I don't see how this could happen.

Kind regards.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Juan137,

Thanks for sharing this and making other more aware of this. I have removed the hyperlinks to avoid anyone clicking on the links. 

There is a useful Airbnb Help Center article on how to spoke if an email is really from Airbnb and gives information on how to report it as well. Take a look: How Do I Know if an Email is Really from Airbnb

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Andy180
Level 2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

I received two text messages today from two different area codes advising me I had a new review with a link to click on to check it out. I haven't had a booking from Airbnb to have a review so I knew that this was a scam. Be careful. 

HI, I recieved 3 sms during the night from the same number but with the last two digits changing.  Asking my to use the Airbnb app but looking at the app url it looks wrong it also suggest calling the owner on a number again which looks strange. 

The name Pascale is mentioned and the sms text number is a Belgium area code - I have used Airbnb once 3 years ago to go to Bruge and the owner was called Pascale - so looks like some details have been hacked.

Nicholas143
Level 1
Minneapolis, MN

airbnb-phishing.jpgJust received a phishing text from (205)900-1707 , stating that my airbnb account is locked and action needed via a link provided, www.airbnb.com-y1pw7.supersure.org/?cid=YQOHAJDBIJCED to unlock the account.
Link does present with a very convincing AirBnb like client,

Yes, I have received several text messages purporting to be from Air BnB. They send me to 

http://um.us.login.to.view.the.messafe.from.the.support.team.destination.on.you.conf662.ds-notificat..., where they ask me to log in. Very slick-looking scam.

Stuart55
Level 2
Noosa Heads, Australia

I just got a message on my phone.

Sender is Airbnb

Content is

Airbnb: Required action:

Take a moment to add some required account details to keep your payouts coming.

https://www.airbnb.com/bavi

It is a scam

Sedra1
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

I got 3 text that was really weird this night. 

It was broken up like mid sentence and everyone started with Airbnb Name:

And the name was the host for our upcoming airbnb booking. they said something like "so sorry about the apart... and then another with a link. to something starting with "abnb.com" and then "here is a.." Then another text "you get 10% back from money." It was really weird, all numbers were the same save for the last 2 digits.

Jacqueline830
Level 1
Berlin, Germany

Same here. hours after I register Airbnb i've got phishing sms via whatsapp