Phishing scam: can get your place cheaper with this link

Marie-and-Owen0
Level 2
Wellington, New Zealand

Phishing scam: can get your place cheaper with this link

Got our first AirBNB phish: an AirBNB enquiry about our room, and saying they could get it cheaper through a link they put in their message (actually, two links as it started with airbnb and then a link to a redirect site, which presumably takes you to a site that steals your host password. I'm a bit surprised it made it through the AirBNB filters, as it does contain a url.

3 Replies 3
J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

To provide maximum security to the hosts, there should be an opt in  option to have 2-step verification.
Meaning, if the host opt in, everytime time the host logs in, they receive a message on the smart phone to confirm they are loging in.
If another person fish login data (the password and email address) it will be useless, the person will not be able to login sucesfuly and the actual owner of the accounted receives an email warning that some other person is trying to log in.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

hello @Marie-and-Owen0 from up in Remuera, Auckland.

Welcome to CC.

Have you reported it to ABB so they can address it and ensure it's removal?

You may also like to report it to Department of Internal Affairs as I understand they may be the relevant agency to report such matters to.

You may also like to use https://lumendatabase.org/ to ask for the links to be removed.

It's your reputation at stake here and protection of potential customers to book in your accommodation.

Nice to see another local New Zealander pop up in here.

You will find great info tucked away if you use related keywords in the search box.

All the best

Central To All Home & Location

Remuera

Auckland

Chris1804
Level 2
Singapore

I got also a phishing message through Airbnb. The "traveler" wrote that he found my property twice on Airbnb. The link to the other property redirects to Russia. On that fake Airbnb site, I was supposed to login on to Airbnb again.