What to do with Plastic bottles & single use plastics?

Andrew157
Level 10
Windermere, United Kingdom

What to do with Plastic bottles & single use plastics?

Plastic bottles are big news in the UK at present. So I was wondering about creative ways to reduce the use of single use plastic in our listing. 

Currently we provide two bottles of water in the fridge and extra 2litre bottles in the listing with a borehole supply. 

We will stop supplying the water and provide a water flask and a reusable glass bottle of the tap water to chill in the fridge. 

Any other ideas? 

68 Replies 68
Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

I have always used resuable flasks... the ones I supply are insanely insulated and so water stays cold for HOURS no matter when guests arrive.  I got mine at Costco last summer for those of us lucky enough to be near a Costco.  I keep a second set in my fridge if guests want a refill.  Summers here are getting warmer each year, and air conditioning is a rarity in my area.  Guests love them and ask where to buy them.  

Other ways I reduce plastic use, biodegradable EVERYTHING, lol.  I purchase compostable bin liners on Amazon - and since I do mostly one night stays, that's three bags per guest of plastic saved.  I also use compostable to-go cups/lids/sleeves for my guests who wish to take their coffee/tea on the road.  My space is virtually plastic free.  

Lol I love the “super insulated “ your in coupville there are only 14 days a year above 80 it’s just us Washingtonians that melt in what So Cal would call winter. Great tip though

I just got one of those PUR pitchers and leve a few Nalgene bottles they can take on day trips.

Just wondering how do you keep tabs on the flasks? I have noticed guests think they are a gift.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Is the tap water OK? Just leave glasses? 

David

This ^^^  We have very good, tested well water. I state on my listing such, and let guests know if they don't like well water, they might consider bringing their own water. 

Marketing selling bottled water is perhaps the biggest scam that has ever been invented, as almost 100% of water sources in the US, and most of the developed world are safe. 

Rion0
Level 2
Saint Petersburg, FL

And some folks are super concerned about where the water comes from and what kind of plastic its bottled in

Rion Bergquist
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello from New Zealand Andrew

Love the Profile picture of the cow, or is it a bull?

(I've delightful Lambs at Cornwall Park, Auckland in my Profile to help promote my listing and our lovely animals we all need in our lives. We've Auckland's 175th Agricultural and Pastoral Show, as part if The Royal Easter Show this weekend and we all are missing our cows on the City hills in and around Auckland City as some shortsighted person doesn't think they need maintanence or that Colonial Heritage belongs in our city)

May I suggest you do the envirnomentally friendly deed and use Glass bottles, maybe even recyled glass and defintely Glasses not plastic to drink out of for your Guests.

We now have Soft Plastic recycling here in NZ at local supermarkets but I wish they would stop all the rubbish packaging on items in general and particluarly on Organics!

We all must do our bit for the environment and those in rural locations are more up with the environment as a rule than those in the city - I see you shifted to the Lakes District - Make friends if you haven't already with older locals who have lived there in the farming community as they have had to think outside the square more than those in the city who take rubbish collections for granted!

All the best

Helen

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Plastic bottles of water amuse me - not in a good way

In the Pacific Northwest, we have the most delicious tap water that comes from protected glacier lakes in the Cascades. 

Yet the majority of guests insist on bringing store-bought water in plastic bottles.

They don't believe me when I tell them our tap water is not only safe, but delicious. 

I can understand travelers from 3rd world countries with poor community tap water, but these guests are American.

Go figure.

And then, I have to unscrew and pour out their half empty bottles that they leave.  Grrr...

lot more like kai and the local community of those d aylight I if ifight going kv? Tt tv kk 88 88t8kvkv888k88vk888vkv5v5kv88h vI kvktv

Hi Paul and all others ,

we have here  (Venezia) the water from the same source they sell in bottles (plastic for "normal people , glass for fancy restaurants) but as you wrote , if people dont trust, they dont trust.

And we have the know-it-all's . I give so many indications to them before they come, the maximum 

of the (negative) reactions are "too much to foillow " , "we know "  and so on .

And we've another big problem:

those "know-it-all's" are  "sensitive as the nipples of of a nun" (Venetian saying) , if you tell them something they dont want to hear , the call you a "Bully". For example : energy-prices are very high in european countries , therefore people not only think of using AC's (with open windows seems a US-traditioin)

and washer (all day ! They must be very stinky ?), there is even a kilowatt-limit in Italy which will blow 

the fuses when switch on all you have.....

So, the problem is not done increasing the prices. 

T

Seattle tap water is horribly chlorinated, my well water in Tulalip & Arlington is the real deal just what your speaking of.

We are in the mountains of NC with natural spring water with a water filter at the pump site that filters all water for our home.  The filter is visible and easy to clean.  One can observe that it is spotless.  We have glasses in all bathrooms and bedrooms.  The kitchen is totally accessbile.  Still, people purchase plastic water bottles and place them in the fridge.

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Andrew157 I have a Brita Water Pitcher for guests. It's a way to offer filtered water without the plastic. It can also be kept in the refrigerator so they find refreshing, cool, filtered water when they open the fridge. In my case, since I live in a cooler area (beach), I have a Brita Water Pitcher that I leave out at room temperature next to the electric kettle next to cups filled with tea bags, hot chocolate, etc - and a plate of cookies!