Please Airbnb, don't ghost me...

Silvia470
Level 8
London, United Kingdom

Please Airbnb, don't ghost me...

So this guy one night decided to leave a hot iron face down on the carpet, leaving a very defined burned mark on it. A cream carpet, to be exact.

The next morning I am already on it, going around carpet shops asking for quotes.

I get a like per like quote of £678 for replacing the carpet of the room (it is a large room, 20 square meters.)

I get back to my guest, aking him £500 as the carpet wasn't new (but still in good conditions and I wasn't looking to replace it anytime soon).

He refuses to pay and I escalate the matter to Airbnb which still hasn't got in touch with me.

Problem also is that this guest left a very long review, saying that everything was fine with the room but that I asked him too much money for the damage he caused, adducing reasons like "I didn't burn the whole carpet, I don't want to pay to replace all of it", which to me is just pure madness; what am I supposed to do? patch it up??? But I am digressing.

Now, when tried to call Airbnb earlier, I have been kept holding on the phone for 66 minutes (why do they offer a call back service that puts you on hold anyway?) and then the line dropped. Great.

I am feeling stressed out and frustrated.

My question to all of you, hosts out there, is: do you think it is fair that this service which is making billions on our houses, private spaces and hard work, just leaves us, hostage of nasty guests that come in, damage our properties, feel entitled to not having to make it good and (cherry on top) also have the power to leave reviews that add long-term damage to our businesses?

Every time I get a review notification, I start shaking. Because I know that even if everything seemed fine, that guest might just be having a bad day and leave you 3 stars because "the bathroom mirror wasn't big enough" or "The host didn't provide courtesy sleepers, you know, like in spas" (this was a real feedbacks I had from my one and only 3 stars review so far and my rooms go for 23/28 per night...so not really spa/hotel prices). 

I think the bar is being set too high: guests have hotel expectations because they don't get what Airbnb is. The user base is now so wide and differentiated that seems impossible to educate every single one of them and having them understand the core Airbnb's concept.

I am talking about the "belonging anywhere", the Belo...This stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMITXMrrVQU

I worked for the studio that rebranded Airbnb, so I know very well what the manifesto of this company is, the principles it's built on. And are these amazing values that made me decide to become a host with no hesitation in the beginning.

But now I feel It just became a cheap hotel service that doesn't care about keeping its genuine hosts happy; It keeps us in fear, with no power over our own guest's tantrums and unable to demand respect for rules or payment for damages without suffering the consequences of the very much feared "bad reviews".

What made this company successful in the first place is being put aside and real hosts are slowly being replaced by faceless agencies, key boxes and cleaning companies that don't mind a bad review or a damaged carpet because it's not their home in the first place.

Distorted music in my ears, playing in a loop, for hours...please Airbnb, call me back, talk to me.

49 Replies 49

@Silvia470

You mentioned you worked in Branding but I think you have bought your own product!

I focus on what things are, and as others have said, it is a booking service with a few frills that have little substance.

The review system has major issues, ABB have acknowledged their Customer Service also is poor, but they seem to have done nothing about it.

Sort of reminds me of Facebook and their issues.

Anyway do not buy into the marketing, use it for what it is and expect no more. Reviews, I usually do not read them, I am on site and if anybody has anything to say they can say it to my face.

David
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Fred13

Yeah Fred, I am just a bit uncomfortable that Airbnb is being seen by so many as a safety net!

I have worked for Airbnb support and I understand the way things work!

I have always encouraged hosts to keep their own house in order, and at times I have been roundly criticised as negative for doing just that.

I cannot overstress the importance of a well planned an executed insurance regime.

I have a Turkish rug! We bought it when we were in Turkey some years ago. You never actually own a genuine Turkish rug!! After 99 years the ownership of that genuine rug reverts to the Turkish state as an antiquity. It is never enforced....but that is the situation, and that is what the certificate of authenticity states.

For a year or more I had that rug on the polished concrete floor in the cottage until some guest gave me a 3 star for cleanliness because they said the rug looked old and shabby!!!!

I suddenly thought if some guest puts a cigarette burn in that rug I have put 9 grand up the spout because the Resolution Centre will tell me it was a worn out piece of sh*t and not worth more than $40...it says so in my reviews.....it's old and shabby!

If my rug gets damaged I will get $9,000, because that is what it is insured for Fred....f**k the resolution Centre!

Cheers......Rob

Hahaha...I could only imagine filing a $9k claim for the 'old rug'. Total cultural confusion. Too funny.

Don-And-Beryl0
Level 2
Cherry Burton, United Kingdom

Why was there an iron in the room if any ironing needs to be done it can be done in the proper place In the kitchen with an ironing board

no probs

Beryl  Beverley 

Silvia Here in the United States of America, AirBnB does claim to offer " no risk " hosting by stating they will pay for any damage done by a guest. I understand from your one reply AirBnB has paid you?

Yes! Not sure whether the money came from the guest or Airbnb, but I did get paid the amount I've requested. So, I do get one should have an insurance to be covered in a more comprehensive way, but in my case Airbnb did well. The damage was well obvious and the guest repeatedly admitted it was his fault, so they paid.

Emma35
Level 2
Newcastle, Australia

Actually Robin I think airbnb DOES profess to have a huge liability back up  - we are talking up to a million dollars!   This is what part of our payment to them is for.

Caroline443
Level 4
Braunston, United Kingdom

I am sorry to hear you have had such a hard time with your guests. Having been a host for best part of 3 years with 2 properties, I absolutely agree with your view on airbnb. 

I have seen a large change in guest expectations over the past 2 years.  Airbnb keeps driving the price down, possibly relying on the fact that many people do not calculate the costs of cleaning, linen service etc, as they do it themselves.   I have decided to take one of my properties off airbnb from September, as I will now get a much better marging from just renting it out as a normal furnished let.  This is because the prices of airbnb have been driven down and the guests expectations are no longer realistic for the price. 

Most of my guests (unlike 2 years ago) expect the same service you would recieve from a 5* hotel.  24 hour attention, fresh herbs, fruit and flowers from my own garden, alergy free linen and pillows (with just a couple of hours notice), access and use of private property (unrelated to the space they are renting) etc.  Even when you accomodate their every need and ask them whether there is anything else they might need, they will often still be quite ruthless in their reviews  (e.g no ready ice cubes for someone's gin and tonic, so reduced rating!).  Even with completely unreasonable guests you have no come back as a host and you can just loose your good rating and end up not being featured properly in the various searches!

Many of my recent guests now have little respect for the property (leave it dirty, let their children draw on the sofas, spill wine on the walls, take things and break things without letting us know, etc).   Many walk over the freshly cleaned floors with muddy boots and shoes and at the end of their stay complain it gets dusty!   Sometimes when you politely query how many people are staying (as they clearly have more people than booked!), they will reluctantly admit to having more and then just get punis you with a reduced rating.

I have noticed that Homeaway attracts a very different type of guest, who just want to rent a holiday cottage.  They are generally polite, more experienced travellers  and there tends to be less damage. It has helped to reduce my relianxce on airbnb and I hope to focus primarily on homeaway and other similar portals in the future 

I think airbnb will start to experience problems retaining their hosts, as i know I am not alone with my experiences.   As a host I feel very let down by them and seeing the decline, I no longer use airbnb for my own travel either. 

Its a great shame as it all started as such a great concept. 

Perhaps the concept of Airbnb and the human race it has always drawn from hasn't changed much in the last 10 years, but the segment of the population that is now ~also~ using the service is the difference, as well as the social pressures to pretend there are no differences among people. The added competition among hosts of course is also a whole new harsh reality.

Good observation on VRBO guests, they areindeed a treat.

I wholly agree Caroline, When I started  My guests were mostly engaging adventurers, some still are. But most now a hunting only for a bargain. My next negative interaction will be my last instant book. I will read each well developed profile and decide. I don't see Airbnb doing a thing to upgrade our guests but are putting a lot of effort in standardizing hosting.No Airbnb guest plus, No Airbnb superguest programs. The standards to instant book should be higher across the board. Thanks, Rob

Brilliant concept on the "guest-plus and super-guest"!!!!

I had a booking with someone that had no reviews and no picture (how can someone book with no photo...completely blank?) I went against my better judgment and accepted her. The weather changed to a rainy weekend and they messaged me they were canceling but didn't actually cancel the reservation through Airbnb. Then she told me if I didn't refund her 100% she was going to leave me a poor review (not just on my Airbnb account, but on my other business). After reading conversations on this site I realized that Airbnb would never support me as a host so I negotiated 1/2 of a return, but would only reimburse after the 2-week window to leave a review. The worse part is... I REALLY want to write a review of this woman and warn any future hosts that they should steer clear of her. 

Yes, HomeAway has a better quality of guest, and I shall miss that, BUT I left them last year after they both failed to show my advertisement for what turned out to be the last three months of a 15-year relationship, and because their accounting has become so opaque that it was only by some very hard work at the end of the year that I eventually found they had failed to transfer payment for one booking.  

It would appear that individual owners/hosts are joining travellers as cash cows.  We can only look back with regret at the "olden times" when it was possible to make a good profit from short-term letting.  Though I dream of an "honest" booking service that doesn't overcharge either travellers or hosts, the reality seems to be that the market is changing, and we "little guys" are being squeezed out.  I wish I knew what the new reality will be. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Caroline443

Caroline, that makes me sad to read a post like that one of yours, and I am trying to work out where it went wrong for you!

My experience is, every month gets better, my reviews get better which in turn lead to better guests and I am now fully booked...I am not in a tourist area, just a little 'blip'  in the middle of nowhere, but I don't have a month with more than one or two nights unbooked!

You are right about the fact that guests are getting 'pickier' because, they can! There are so many listings to choose from now that the bar is being forever raised, and you need to make an allowance for that.

As far as pricing is concerned Caroline, taking notice of pricing tips is a surefire way to financial ruin. Look at you! You are a Superhost with 130 + reviews....why on earth would you take any notice of pricing tips...there is nothing in your hosting style that needs fixing or discounting! Simone said " As always fabulous" ....is there anything there that needs fixing???

Caroline, Airbnb are always going to keep on trying to re-invent the wheel....but you and I, we are what hosting is all about!

All I would say to you is analyse your booking requests a bit more...try to work out the passive requests from the aggressive requests.....there is a big difference. It does not hurt you to decline a request every now and then. Also throw out a nice warm welcoming statement to newly booked guests! You have to remember, it is a leap of faith on the guests part, it is not like room 479 in the downtown Hilton, they have no idea what is in store for them. So, get them onside with maybe some sort of nice personal statement. It's a fact of life, people do not like doing the wrong thing to people they like! 

The great concept is still there Caroline.....we just need to adapt with it and use it!

Cheers.....Rob

Caroline443
Level 4
Braunston, United Kingdom

Thanks for your response. 

Im glad it seems to work so well for you in Australia but I cant help notice that you sound as though you might be an airbnb employee!

I agree with you that guests need a  good welcome.  I meet them personally, show them where everything is, leave fresh flowers, coffee, tea fresh milk etc.  I also ask them whether they need any tips for the local area.  I dont think that's the problem.

My main concern is that hosts have been pushed very hard over the past 2 years, (hosts are pushed to accept penalty free cancelation, but hosts can not cancel a guest without penalty even when it is too late to get another booking -  guests can see hosts' performances in great detail but hosts can not see the full details on guests prior to booking and have to take a risk -  etc ).  Change is good  and adapting to change is fine, but not when it erodes your margins.

When you start to get a better return by doing a simple full time let (without having the work or expense of providing shampoo, soap, coffee, washing powder, dishwasher tablets, hand towels, bath towels, towels, paper towels, loo paper, linen and cleaning service etc) than airbnb hosting, there is something not quite right!    

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Caroline443

Caroline I am not an Airbnb employee although I did spend 8 months working in Airbnb support last year and that was a paid position. It was soul destroying because you never get to see something nice! Everyone who comes to support has a problem, and most of them are angry....they want you to validate something that cannot be validated. I went down to my wife one night after I shut myself down for the night at about 1.15am and I said to her that there was no amount of money in the world that would adequately compensate someone for this job. You felt you were needed and required to be on duty 24 hours a day...and absence of 3 hours to get some sleep would solicit a response.....'Are you still there, what do I need to do to get some help'!

But Caroline, I learned a lot, it made me a better more confident host...it definitely improved my diplomacy skills and it increasded my knowledge.

I would say to you, don't be pushed, be yourself. Sure there is masses of purile promotion, but don't take any notice of it! On my calendar page last month I received a notification that 3 people had looked at my listing but chose to book somewhere else that was $9 per night cheaper! I was fully booked last month....one night free! Where exactly was I supposed to put these additional people who chose to get a cheaper room somewhere else!!! Basically, it's a nonsense so don't take any notice of it....just do what you do so well!

But the answer to this, as I said I was fully booked, and Airbnb did that, why would I want to turn my back on that and start again somewhere else!!

Airbnb have been good to me, maybe I have had a bit to do with that but without Airbnb, I would not be a host!

Cheers......Rob