Please develop a fair resolution process - the current process is broken.

Mark86
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Please develop a fair resolution process - the current process is broken.

3 months ago, guests badly dirtied and damaged our home. 70 emails later and the process is still not resolved. I’ve been put in touch with 5 different account managers, 1 by phone and 4 by email, and guidance tends to differ between all. Most seriously, after the guest admitted to the damage but refused to pay, Airbnb then approved me to incur cleaning expenses (I have written communication about this) and is now refusing to pay. Not only have I been cheated of $500, but the precess has been excruciating, frustrating, misleading, and all-around terrible — yet the team refuses to engage in meaningful conversation.

4 Replies 4
Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

This is rotten what has happened to you.

To prevent a possible repeat with a future rogue guest.......Be really clear what is NOT allowed in your property in the added notes section of the house rules/ house manual of your listing that guests see before they book.

To prevent any further avoidance of doubt of what is NOT acceptable, write a sentence under each photograph of your listing.

If YOU don’t protect yourself by screening out these guests from booking with you, how do you expect air bnb to do it for you?

Last of all, DO write, an honest factual review of these rogue guests behaviour, to warn other hosts.....it IS your duty as a host to be a responsible member of the air bnb community to review yiurvguests honestly.

Hi Victoria,

Thanks for the note. The dissapointing thing here is that I already do, in the reservation questions, make this very clear to guests. After, I even message the guests again with no-party requirements... And yet, they still damaged it. I also gave the guests a 1-star review and left clear explanation why to let other hosts know.

But, to me, the worst part is not the rogue gusts, but the terrible service I recieved from Airbnb. It's despicable to me that Airbnb will endlessly advertise to me to recruit my friends to be hosts (of which I've brought on many), and yet it won't give me the time of day when something goes  wrong.

Certainly, the guests violated rules. But Airbnb violated my trust.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Mark86 I can't detect anything obvious in your listing that would have remotely led to such a set of guests.   Anything you can think of that you would have done differently with these particular guests, in retrospect? Any red flags you may have missed?

Hi Fred - I have a bias, but I agree with you. We also specifically ask for written confirmation from guests to not use our place as a pre-party, party, or post-party place. The only time I've had issues as a host were in hosting first time Airbnb'ers. As such, especially with Airbnb's treatment of the issue, we've decided to never host first timers again. It's dissapointing as I used to take pride in bringing people into the community, but Airbnb has made it very clear that it wants hosts to assume all the risks and provide no support in return.