Please don't use white towels to remove makeup

Answered!
Joe227
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Please don't use white towels to remove makeup

Hey Guys,

I have tried many ways like adding this to house manual, hanging a note on washroom mirror, puting a note on towels, direct message to female guests before check-in and Im surprise its still happening and they clean their makeup with white towels ! some gens clean the showes as well!. I am surprise how these makeup matterials are made that even bleaching towels can not remove the stains! therefore I have to buy new set ot towels every 2 months or less.

I'm wondering if anyone has a successful experiance.

Thanks

Joe

1 Best Answer
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

I can't believe that people use ANY of the host's linen to remove make up..... I wouldn't consider it reasonable to impose extra laundering costs or destroy towels. I've never worn make up in my life, but if I did, I would think it proper to travel with my own means of removal; either my own wash cloth or  disposable wipes.

View Best Answer in original post

49 Replies 49
Steve416
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

Hi Joe, this has been a recurring experience for me as well, especially when hosting groups of younger people, despite the rules and reminders etc. perhaps they don’t do their own washing at home, so feel no accountability! I also feel it’s a function of not appreciating our homes are not an hotel!

I am now at the stage that if there is any bad staining, I lodge a resolution claim. This is a challenge as you need to provide photos of the soiled towels, photos of your purchase receipt and Airbnb will seek to depreciate the value in compensating you.

I have also resorted to providing makeup removal pads, which are a small expense compared to the cost and hassle of replacing towels. 

I also am more selective about accepting group bookings and now have a minimum age of 25 for the booking guest and endeavour to assess the respect level before checkin.

cheers Steve 

I totaly underestand it, my Apartment is in Downtown Toronto and I noticed the most troubles I have are from those coming from Toronto and surrounding suburbs as they want to just spend a weeked. the damages and $ spend to fix the damages can not be claimed easily through AirBnB claim. If I don't feel comfortable I don't accept the guest now and cancel the booking.

I get groups of gals all the time aged 25 and up and they still dirty my towels

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Joe227 @Steve416

Make-up removal pads and/or wipes might do the trick.  I have always supplied those and no ruined towels so far, just a stain on a pillowcase once, but that came out. Some suggest supplying black washcloths also.  

Thanks, I will try this one and see how it goes, I still want to stay using white on Washcloths, but for bedsheets, I gave up as I notised blood and "other" stain which coulndt remove even by bleach!

FYI hydrogen peroxide and cold water should remove blood.

We added a black and white wash cloth rolled in the bathroom in the hopes those will get used.

I'm afraid to put in the make up wipes because I worry they will get flushed and cause real plumbing problems.

Thing is with me I supplied dark wash towels as well as hand towels and they still used my white towels. I will try makeup remover if buying dark bath towels do not work

Steve416
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

I have also had issues with people dying their hair - totally bizarre. When you are going to a luxury lake house for a weekend, why would you dye your hair? Probably because they don’t want to dirty their own bathroom. So I have arrived after checkout to find dye stains on the bath, towels and white pillowcases. On our security camera one guest arrived with brown hair and left with red!!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Joe227 @Steve416

Hi Joe, yeah, whats even more of a problem, when they come in from a big night out at that wedding reception where they got plastered on free booze, went to the toilet four or five times and re-did the make-up each visit till their face looked like a Jackson Pollock original, got home dead drunk and fell into bed. The next morning the pillows and linens looks like 'Custers last stand'!!!

I do routinely offer in the bathroom a pack of 'up market' Face Wipes, and nearly all guests will use them.

I bought a heap of them off the internet on EBay at a really good price and the reaction of the female guests is one of curiousity...."I would never buy that brand because it is so expensive but, I wonder what they are like"!!  Guess what, I don't have trouble with towels or linens being stained.

Guys, these things come up all the time on EBay. I found five boxes each with 144, 4 box pack of boxed Dove moisturising soap. That is 2,280 cakes of soap, and they cost me 8c per cake....230 bucks the lot. I have got enough cakes of Dove for the rest of the three lifetimes I am going to live. I even sell them to the local caravan park and make a profit.

There are ways and means Joe and Steve, you just have to be streetsmart! I like red wine and I belong to Langtons on-line! I am in 80 or more wine auctions a day. I know the wines I like and they are all more than $40 per bottle but I set a ceiling price of $15 per bottle. Now I will go for months without winning a solitary bottle but.......sooner or later maybe 11.50pm on a Friday night, the boss will have taken the secretary away for a ? weekend, the wife has found out and she says..."Your wine cellar mate is history"....and I will pick up 80-100 bottles for $15 per botle!

You need to be streetsmart!

Cheers.....Rob

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

I supply very expensive plush white towels and 1000 tc linens. Had a family from Japan ruin a towel with makeup. I have black makeup washcloths sitting on the vanities. How much more clear does it need to be. I also have disposable makeup remover in the drawers, going to move it into plain view after this one. 

additional-makeup-4.jpg

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Letti0

Leti, I like that, that is a great idea, have really dark make-up washcloths...that is good lateral thinking...even that superthick Maybeline Eyebrow liner they are advertising at the moment that looks like black cement paving paint would not show on those!

As I said, I seem to have got around the problem with the fancy face-wipes, but even so, I think I will search for a couple of those.

Good one!

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4 If you find any available in Australia, please let me know! I've checked the website that @Letti0 mentioned and they don't ship internationally.

I've found some on Etsy and EBay, but only from international sellers and with postage it works out very expensive! Like starting at $80aud for 6 

I'm actually considering buying some plain black wash cloths and getting them monogrammed myself. I don't imagine this would be cheap either though! 

Another option that has just come to me, would be to have a couple of plain black wash cloths, rolled and tied together with a ribbon, or placed in a small bowl with tag attached that says.... Make-up Removal! 

@Michelle-And-Michael0

I did yesterday make a call to our local 'Spotlight' store Michelle, and the girl I spoke to said they did actually stock make-up facecloths, so I am going to get around there when I can and have a look. Probably nowhere near as good as those @Letti0 has found but, I will let you know after I have seen them.

Hope all going well over there in 'The Gong' for you. I have a daughter there I am going to see in a month or so!

Cheers......Rob

I didn't want to pay the price of the momogrammed cloths, so I bought two packs of plain black washcloths from Amazon for cheap.  On the bathroom mirror, in erasable marker, I wrote "Please use black washcloths for makeup removal".  This has helped immensely!