Please help with my "rough" neighborhood description

Answered!
Christine20
Level 2
Pine Lake, GA

Please help with my "rough" neighborhood description

I have recently listed a little guest house in an area literally on the wrong side of the tracks. I have written and re-written the neighborhood description and am now turning to the community for advice. I don't want to overstate and scare people off yet I also want to be completely upfront. I also want to avoid cancellations. 

If you have a moment please take a look at my listing. I welcome any thoughts on this. I am beginning to feel all Airbnb rentals must be at least middle class to be acceptable. I had a young woman cancel this afternoon after previewing the house, She is the second to cancel over neighborhood concerns. The neighborhood is poor and much of it is deep hood however as I state in my listing I lived here as a single woman and felt safe.

I read in another thread  voicing similar concerns where an owner was advised to remove instant booking. I started to do that but saw that I would not have protection from cancellation penalties and decided against going that route. The thought being that an inquiry would give me the chance to reiterate "scruffy" neighborhood. So opted instead for a possibly too forthright description and will never again get a booking! Though really I would prefer that to having an unhappy guest who feels they've been misled.

1 Best Answer
Jayesh0
Level 10
Urangan, Australia

Hi @Christine20

Love your listing and the text.  The only part I would recommend changing is "still a bit rustic but quite livable".

I don't think you are doing justice to the lovely space you have created.  Maybe something like 

"still a rustic space that charms those who appreciate this style".

This is just to give an idea as your words are beautifully strung together so I am sure you could think of something a touch more complimentary.  The home is so much more than just "liveable'!!

Lisa

View Best Answer in original post

19 Replies 19
Colin260
Level 2
Little Rock, AR

Hi @Christine20,

How did it work out? I am also about to list a cottage in Little Rock,  in Stifft Station, above highway 630.

Thanks,

Colin

Colin260
Level 2
Little Rock, AR

Hi @Christine20 ,

I just came across this forum. Am about to list my cottage in Little Rock. It's in the Stifft Station neighborhood above highway 630, in the path of progress, but still a bit rough. How did it go with your listing? BTW, your Argenta listings is quite nice!

Thanks,

Colin

Kenyatta2
Level 2
Glenview, IL

I'd like to ask you the same question, but in reverse. How do you leave a review about a great stay at a property (as a guest) that is in a rough neighborhood  without diminishing the comforts and accommodations provided or your own review (from the host)? Suggestions?

Jeremy244
Level 2
Clearwater, FL

@Christine20 I'm having the same issue with my listing. Our neighborhood is not the greatest and I'm struggling to write a description for it. Would you mind sharing your listing with me? Or maybe I'm missing something because I tried to go to your Airbnb profile but I was not able to see your listing. I see that this conversation started 3 years ago. Thanks!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Maybe she isn't hosting anymore @Jeremy244 

I live in an inner city area. I include photos of my area in my listing and I say something like .....

....."like many inner city areas undergoing regeneration XXX can be a little scruffy around the edges but more than makes up for this through our great ethnic shops and restaurants, lovely open spaces, fantastic local transport and access to the city (20 min walk). vibrant music and food scene and warm, friendly community"