[Poll] Do you allow pets, and would you consider allowing them in the future?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[Poll] Do you allow pets, and would you consider allowing them in the future?

587179628_Alexa_4263055_1422-Edit.jpg

Hello everyone,

I wanted to do a poll on whether you allow/accept pets. Would you consider allowing them in the future, following the news that was recently shared?

I know that some members of this community have mentioned that they have (multiple) pets, and over time we've seen lovely photo's of them on our "Meet the pets" topic! 

It would be very interesting to hear your thoughts about this subject, whether you have a pet or not 🙂

Alternatively, if you have any other reasons why you allow or do not allow pets, please comment below in the thread telling us more about your choice and why.

Thank you,

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

70 Replies 70
Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

@Quincy  I don't allow pets, and will continue with this policy based on my interactions with two guests who brought fake "service dogs" and who were straight up liars. 

Both times the dogs were absolutely NOT service dogs, but PETS kitted out in fake vests. One of these was even brought by a fellow host who told me right out of the gate when booking that I HAD to take her mom's "service dog" per AirBNB policy. The problem is daughter/host neglected to fill her mom in on the lie. When I ran into mom with her dog in the yard, Mom told me she'd just gotten the dog 2 weeks ago from a friend who went into assisted living and while "he's mostly deaf and blind, but at least he seems to be house broken".  This was a case of blatantly exploiting the Service Animal/ESA loophole. Service Dogs perform a service to their human. The only thing this dog did was wander off (because the guest refused to keep it on a leash as I asked) and they were forever chasing him down. If a dog does is not required for a disability and the owner cannot tell us what tasks they are trained to perform in assisting with that disability, hosts should NOT be required to accept these animals.

Both guests left their dogs alone in my home after being instructed not to do so.
Both guests allowed their dogs on my furniture after being instructed not to do so.
Both guests let their pets run off leash after being instructed not to do so.
Since guests insist on being rude, inconsiderate and not following my instructions regarding their pets, I absolutely will not accept any pet from anyone anymore. 

Also, AirBNB really needs to eliminate the ESA loophole that everyone is trying to exploit.  ESAs are NOT recognized by the ADA nor HUD; they should not be forced upon us. AirBNB needs to revise their policies regarding assistance animals to mirror those of HUD and exclude ESAs from their policy.  If someone wants to travel with their pet ESA, they can select one of the many AirBNBs that do allow pets. AirBNB is out of line requiring hosts with No Pets policies to take someone's pet in the guise of an ESA.

Guests should also be required to disclose any animal they bring, assistance animal or otherwise. Per HUD Rules, persons with disabilities must make a REQUEST to have a service animal as a reasonable accommodation for a disability. AirBNB's guest-centric policy that says guests don't have to disclose if they're bringing a service animal OR ESA just provides guests with another loop hole to exploit when trying to get around a host's No Pets policy. They can just show up with their fake ESA without saying a word about the animal. Not cool.

Imagine having a cleaner who is severely allergic to pet dander coming in to clean a home that is supposed to be Pet Free. But Ken and Karen decide to exploit the ESA loophole and not disclose their Beagle they brought.  The cleaner begins to clean and winds up having an anaphylactic episode. That's a lawsuit right there. Your policy allowing people to bring animals without disclosing them poses a health and safety risk to others. It is negligent and irresponsible.

Animal Disclosure should be MANDATORY as should providing a health certificate with proof of vaccination status. Undisclosed pets can carry diseases, be unvaccinated, unneutered, untrained, etc. Hosts have a right to ask for proof of vaccination status, something we can't do if the guest isn't required to disclose the animal.  

Hosts should have the option to charge for undisclosed pets or terminate stays without penalty for undisclosed pets or fake service animals. In 23 states, it's actually against the law to impersonate a service animal.

This never ending circus of trying to force pets down host's throats is just another example of how AirBNB clearly caters to guests at the expense of hosts. 

Patti120
Level 5
California, United States

.@Stephanie365, 

I agree the pet owners and their pets need to be vetted. My vetting process is working for years now. Having pets  stay is a host choice. Booking a property that may allow pets is a guest choice. Clear communication between the parties is working for our listings. Every situation is a little different.  I look forward to the changes coming  to Airbnb resulting from this good conversation about this topic both pro and con. 

Cheers,

Patti120

Hi @Patti120 Patti, what questions do you ask to vet the guest and their pet? -Alina

Patti120
Level 5
California, United States

Hi @Alina127,  Alina, I ask the guests several questions which can lead to more. Initially,  I ask the guests to tell me about their four legged family member/members. I ask: Does the pet usually travel with you? What breed? Age? What are your plans during your visit to the area? Will the pet be going with you while site seeing, visiting family, attending events, etc. Depending on the answers I will know whether or not to allow the pet/pets. I provide sheets to cover the furniture including the beds (my linens are white, one home has white couch and chairs, other home is white linens and blue couches).  I provide dog beds, dog towels (I have beach property) , pet blankets on the dog bed, dog bowls and a washable mat that goes under the dog bowls. Dogs often suffer from separation anxiety when left, so leaving them alone can be problematic. If the guest claims to crate their dogs if they leave it is a red flag for me and I ask more questions. The area where our Airbnb is located is very dog friendly.  Restaurants, shops, and parks allow pets so why would crating be a good idea unless the pet has issues. Puppies are not typically approved, but some are depending on the owner’s conversation with me.  I find small dog breeds are not as well trained as the larger dogs. They are more likely to bark and will relieve themselves in the house usually on an area rug (why is beyond comprehension).  I have a carpet cleaning machine that can clean up accidents on the area rug from pets or guests.   Dog hair is an issue only when they shed and they do not shed all the time. If the furniture is covered it’s an easy clean up. I provide sheets for cover as they wash quickly and easily. 

If there are any doubts after the guest has had a conversation with me during the inquiry, I do not approve the reservation with pets. 

The bed mattresses are protected with Protect a bed mattress covers. They are used in hospitals and protect against bacteria, moisture, bed bugs, etc. Mattress pads are in addition. They have saved my mattresses from people (not pets). Children and Adults have had accidents in the beds and good fully encased mattress covers have saved the day.  No damage even after a big mess, just extra laundry. 

Comments were made about people with pet allergies. I believe a  Guest with severe allergies that decides to book a pet friendly home has had advance notice on the Airbnb listings. It’s their decision. 

I have enjoyed 99% of the guests that have stayed two and four legged. This is a lengthy answer but I hope it helps. 

@Patti120 wrote: I agree the pet owners and their pets need to be vetted. My vetting process is working for years now. Having pets  stay is a host choice.

Yes, and my choice is No Pets. Very clearly stated. Yet both times guests exploited the Service Animal loophole.  The first guest didn't even tell me the dog was coming. When I saw her entering my home with a dog, I confronted her. "Oh he's my ESA."  Yet she left and went to town without him after being specifically told NOT to leave her dog alone and to keep him off the furniture. 

Booking a property that may allow pets is a guest choice. Clear communication between the parties is working for our listings. Every situation is a little different.  I look forward to the changes coming  to Airbnb resulting from this good conversation about this topic both pro and con. 

AirBNB needs to eliminate the statement where guests are not required to even disclose their animals, service or otherwise. With that language in their Terms of Service, the deceptive, manipulative guest will never communicate.

Hi @Alina127,  Alina, I ask the guests several questions which can lead to more. Initially,  I ask the guests to tell me about their four legged family member/members.

Well, that is assuming the guest actually discloses the animal and that you state your listing is pet friendly, even if it's a case by case basis.

I ask: Does the pet usually travel with you? What breed? Age? What are your plans during your visit to the area? Will the pet be going with you while site seeing, visiting family, attending events, etc. Depending on the answers I will know whether or not to allow the pet/pets. I provide sheets to cover the furniture including the beds (my linens are white, one home has white couch and chairs, other home is white linens and blue couches).  I provide dog beds, dog towels (I have beach property) , pet blankets on the dog bed, dog bowls and a washable mat that goes under the dog bowls. Dogs often suffer from separation anxiety when left, so leaving them alone can be problematic. If the guest claims to crate their dogs if they leave it is a red flag for me and I ask more questions. The area where our Airbnb is located is very dog friendly.  Restaurants, shops, and parks allow pets so why would crating be a good idea unless the pet has issues. Puppies are not typically approved, but some are depending on the owner’s conversation with me.  I find small dog breeds are not as well trained as the larger dogs. They are more likely to bark and will relieve themselves in the house usually on an area rug (why is beyond comprehension).  I have a carpet cleaning machine that can clean up accidents on the area rug from pets or guests.   Dog hair is an issue only when they shed and they do not shed all the time. If the furniture is covered it’s an easy clean up. I provide sheets for cover as they wash quickly and easily. 

All great questions assuming you are pet friendly and the guest discloses the animal. But for those of us who aren't and a guest doesn't say a word, then what?

If there are any doubts after the guest has had a conversation with me during the inquiry, I do not approve the reservation with pets. 

The bed mattresses are protected with Protect a bed mattress covers. They are used in hospitals and protect against bacteria, moisture, bed bugs, etc. Mattress pads are in addition. They have saved my mattresses from people (not pets). Children and Adults have had accidents in the beds and good fully encased mattress covers have saved the day.  No damage even after a big mess, just extra laundry. 

Comments were made about people with pet allergies. I believe a  Guest with severe allergies that decides to book a pet friendly home has had advance notice on the Airbnb listings. It’s their decision. 

And this is my point about AirBNB not requiring guests to disclose their pets. My place is listed as Pet Free. But if a guest doesn't disclose their pet and the host never sees the pet, and my next guest is allergic,  we have a problem. That is why disclosure is important. Yet AirBNB doesn't require this disclosure. Even the ADA and HUD require disclosure.

I have enjoyed 99% of the guests that have stayed two and four legged. This is a lengthy answer but I hope it helps. 

David8344
Level 1
Bonita Springs, FL

We have been burnt too many times with allowing pets or "so called" service/therapy animals.  The smell and dog hair gets everywhere.  With our most recent guest, we had to replace the couch, chair and mattress due to all the dog hair.  We also had to buy a Hepa filtration machine to get the smell out.  

Piotr48
Level 10
Wrocław, Poland

Not accepting animals anymore after bad past experiences.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

ATTENTION HOSTS!

the pet fee is NOT multiplied by the number of dogs!

The guest can show up with 5 dogs but will pay just 1 single pet fee as he came with 1 dog.

There is also no option to charge per day, just per stay.

We accepted pets until now, but not anymore, not under this condition.

And.... btw.... there is no pet-friendly search filter anymore. And not a child-friendly filter either. Guests now have to open each listing, scrool to the bottom to see if they can book. Great, ha?

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

@Quincy 

(We're home-share hosts)

Yes, we allow pets, by arrangement, but one and only one. We vet beforehand. We've declined guests who seemingly wanted to leave their dog unattended in our home, to go to eg a wedding (?!)

We've never charged a fee, nor have we had any problems. Lucky, I suppose.

[Confession: We were recently guests in a fab Airbnb cottage and were allowed to take our elderly collie boy (no fee & lovely dog-friendly people :)). Slightly nervous about him, due to his incontinence, but we made sure to walk him frequently and take plenty of towels! No accidents, thank maude 😉 So, on the one hand, we were taking a risk; on the other hand, we were trying to minimise the risk... Probably won't do that again though!]

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I would love to accept dogs (never cats, they can get extremely stressed and damaging) but based on previous experience will not. 

Very enlightening conversation.