Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Poll - Do you pick up your guests?

Do you pick up your guests_ .png

Hello everybody!

I hope you're all doing well today.

Today I thought I would do a quick poll about picking your guests up from the airport/public transport. I was wondering if any of you offer this to your guests or have done this in the past?

Alternatively, if you have any other reasons why you do not pick up your guests, please comment below in the thread telling us more about your choice and why - e.g. I don't provide this service as I don't have a car, etc.

You can find the results here!

Please give any suggestions about topics of polls that you would like to see in the future! We welcome your ideas!

I'm very curious to your answers! 🙂

Quincy

Other polls you might be interested in:

Where are your guests from?

Airbnb for travelling!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

40 Replies 40

@Julia66  Thats so awesome of you!  I certainly hope that your guests show their appreciation by leaving a tip in your home or in your car.  I know I would 🙂

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

No. My place is located in a very rural area and anyone booking here would need their own car in order to do anything other than watch TV and hang out in the apartment all day. There is no uber service or lyft

@Quincy - do you have a thread for where we can suggest poll topics?  

We do not transport to the airport.  Way to much time and stress.  We do provide transportation to the train so that guests can visit the two major cities close to us without having to worry about parking and driving.  So if our guests request it and it works into our schedule we have provided that several times which is easy as it is 7 miles to the train.  We have also picked up guests after a hospital procedure.  We felt is was better than taking a taxi or Uber.

Alison163
Level 2
Arncroach, United Kingdom

I haven't offered this because I live in a rural area about 3 miles from a bus stop, shop or restaurant. If guests didn't have their own transport then they would be pretty stuck and dependent on me for their food. We are on an official cycle route, so I'm hoping to attract people on cycling holidays. But none so far.  I just started a few weeks ago. I've been wondering if there are ways of letting keen cyclists know you're out there.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Alison163,

I can imagine that cycling is very nice there!

I used to live in Edinburgh for a wee while although cycling was sometimes quite a challenge there since I'm used to cycling in The Netherlands where they have dedicated bicycle paths 🙂

-----

From the airport - don't need to. Most Koreans don't do airport pick-ups, even for family because public transportation is fast, easy and affordable. It just makes more sense to take a taxi if you don't want to bother with public transportation. Airport pick-ups are for people who can afford to hire their own private driver and are willing to pay $100+, so I'm pretty sure these types of people will stay at a suite room at the Marriott or Hyatt, not Airbnb 🙂 

I would be willing to meet guests at the nearest subway station if they asked in advance. Most people in Seoul either take the subway or taxi. Taxis are affordable in Korea and if you have the Kakao Taxi app on your phone, you can get taxis to come to your location for pick-up within 5~10 mins any time of the day. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Jessica-and-Henry0, that's very nice of you 🙂 

I think I've heard my partner talking about the Kakao taxi app before. 

I would love to visit Korea! 

-----

@Quincy

Seoul is a great place to visit if you are an adventurous foodie, like shopping for cosmetics, and are into unique socks 🙂 

I hope you get a chance to come~!!! Henry and I were in London about 5 years ago....and really loved it there! London is lovely!!

We use the Kakao taxi app frequently. It's especially nice because we are able to track the taxi's route to make sure it arrives at the given destination safely, and we get a message once the ride is complete. 

Amy38
Level 10
Nashville, TN

I try to pick up international travelers.  The airport is just 15 minutes from my house, but the taxi is expensive and they are just finishing a 15- 20 hour day with flights, customs and plane changes.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

The public transport in Amsterdam in general and to/from the airport is easy, frequent, quick, and inexpensive - no need to pick anybody up, besides which like most here in the city I don't have a car.

Anybody coming in so late (past my check-in time) or leaving before 5:30am would need to take a taxi. In that case I always offer to call a pre-arranged cheaper taxi for them (getting an Uber ride easily from the airport is less reliable).

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Recently had a guest ask if I would pick him up from the downtown Sheraton,  which is 30-45 minutes away in traffic (half that by public transit),  plus taking the car out of the garage,  parking,  etc.

My billable rate for that time is more than his stay.

Are you kidding?

Linda-And-Marc0
Level 4
San Jose, CA

We do not pick up guests.  The airport is only 3 miles away and a Lyft or Uber is less than $15. Many people arrive by train which is an 8-minute walk; others drive and park here. We send them great instructions on how to self-serve themselves to get hee

Over ~700 guests, I have driven people to the airport a handful of times. Usually, it's after we've made a connection and I'm looking for more time with them.

Why don't we do this service?  Mainly because we are busy and it's hard to coordinate schedules. Our cars aren't ideal. One truck has just jump seats in the back, and the convertible is messy and also small.  We prefer to focus on what we do well: luxurious hosting in San Jose.  

When we were in Greece and far-ish from the hotel and unsure of ourselves, having our hosts manage transport was very nice, so we see the benefit. It's just not our thing.

Yours, Marc (and Linda)

MariaIsabel13
Level 2
Providence, RI

This may cause conflicts in case of a car accident, and also if you already drive  for Uber or Lyft.  Sad but like everything else transportation is a business, and it has it's risks and costs. 

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

There are no transportation services in our area to get anyone here from the train, not even Uber, so I picked up a nice backpacker guest at the station once. It worked with my schedule. No one else has asked.

Once in a while, I facilitate the optional canoe-in aspect of our place: moving a guest's vehicle from the upstream launch to the downsteam takeout, or driving guests back to the vehicle they left. It's kind of fun.