Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Poll - Do you pick up your guests?

Do you pick up your guests_ .png

Hello everybody!

I hope you're all doing well today.

Today I thought I would do a quick poll about picking your guests up from the airport/public transport. I was wondering if any of you offer this to your guests or have done this in the past?

Alternatively, if you have any other reasons why you do not pick up your guests, please comment below in the thread telling us more about your choice and why - e.g. I don't provide this service as I don't have a car, etc.

You can find the results here!

Please give any suggestions about topics of polls that you would like to see in the future! We welcome your ideas!

I'm very curious to your answers! 🙂

Quincy

Other polls you might be interested in:

Where are your guests from?

Airbnb for travelling!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

40 Replies 40
Ana7
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Yes, sometimes I do. Or sometimes I drop them at the airport when they're leaving. But it's in 25% of cases mostly. If I have time, if they're arriving late and I'm travelling the next day so I won't be able to meet them or so, or simply if I feel like it. It's not a big deal for me, and they are always so happy about it... 

Yes I would pick up a guest if it was from the airport or local location definitely not from the city outside of my own. I believe in top-notch high-level Customer Service and that is why.

ha, ha...not a charity but rather a business.  I do offer to help the guest book a vehicle with a company I use a lot.  The fare it cheaper than an airport taxi and the guest doesn't have to worry about the address.  The main reason I do this is so they guest doesn't get lost and I can call the driver to check if the guest has made it out of immigration so I know what time to expect the guest.

Manik0
Level 1
Bali, Indonesia

Yes, I always offer airport pickup for the guests. Not only from airport, also from other accommodation where they stay before come to my place. If I am not available, I always have other drivers as a partner to do this job.

The reasons why I do this:

- I want to make sure the guest has risk free of getting lost. This offer will make them relax since they departure from their country.

- Most of the guests are first timer visitor, not every country has the same transportation system.

- Yes, there is google map. But sometimes they need to asking around to reach the exact point.

If the guests using taxi, I always call the guests and speak with the driver to give him hints to find my address quickly. This will save lot of time and avoid them roaming around.

If the guest has an early flight back, I also provide transport to airport. This will make sure the guest can catch the flight on time. Because sometimes there is no taxi in early morning.

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Goodness NO it's more hassle than it's worth! I think all hosts have great intentions when they first start and this intention bit the dust quickly. Picking up people from the airport is the worst! Flights are delayed- HOURS, you can't find the person and you're stuck going round in circles because you can't wait curbside. No thanks! Also, dropping off is bad as well especially when you tell the guest it'll be gas money or $5-10 and they dont bring exact change and decide to not give you the bigger bill. If a guest has to pay for a taxi/uber/lyft/bus/shuttle bus why dont they fele the need to pay the host? Gas and time aren't free.

If I lived in the country or a remote area Id be happy too but I'm a city person.

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

I got a map to my house and it works very well. But I picking guest from airport sometimes, Most are when they arrive in the night. My house and airport are not far away. 

Diane114
Level 3
Arlington, VA

Certainly not, as I don't have insurance to transport paying passengers. Does this question indicate that Airbnb is planning to provide supplemental insurance like Uber does for its drivers?

Renee88
Level 1
Salem, OR

I absolutely do not pick up guests. I live over an hour away from the nearest airport, which is part of the draw for my region. 

Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

@Quincy   What a great poll to start.  From my perspective, its always been appreciated by my guests when they read in my listing that pickup/drop off services are provided (given enough notice of course)  for an extra fee.  However, for those who are going to the airport early in the morning, we don't charge for them to catch a ride with my husband who is going into work at 5:30am that allows them to get to the airport at the appropriate time and gets him to work on time too.  Some have been kind enough to tip my husband bc he also loads their luggage into his surfer van at 5:00am while they enjoy a cup of coffee and muffin with me.  

1.  Here's what else we do for our guests that stay with us who do not have rental cars.  I always give them a 24 hours heads up when I will be driving into the direction of the downtown area for work meetings,( 30 mins away) or run errands, or taking my daughter to dance class.  Actually any direction that might help them save money on UBER or time on a public bus.  Many of our guests have used this FREE option. Some show appreciation at check out and some don't.  But we like to show our Aloha Spirit this way.  

2.  If a guests is coming from a foreign country, and doesn't rent a car, I will always make my schedule available to help them out because it can be quite taunting and worrisome for guests arriving into the USA for the first time.  I arrive with Hawaiian cold bottled water, Hawaiian fruit and Hawaiian chips. (sometimes even a cold beer because they've mentioned to me they love beer.) That surprise is always a big hit.  (guess it makes up for the bad airplane food) haha.  Some of my arrival times have been at  5:00pm, 6:00am, midnight,  and as late as 2:30am.   Either way, the smiles on their face is worth me losing some sleep.  And yes, I still get up to make breakfast at 7:30am.

3. In Hawaii, we share our love by greeting folks with beautiful fragrant flower lLeis.  These airport arrivals give me a chance to do that for our ABB uests.  I am actually going to be doing this tomorrow at 7:00am for our Korean Guests but they dont' know it.  Mother and daughter are a bit nervous as new folks to Airbnb and first time to USA.  I feel this is a great way to decrease their nervousness.  

4.  If I can't pick up the guests, I always make sure to send them my UBER code $20 which gets them to my house for $20 after the promo code.  My guests love this money saving tip as I also share it with their traveling companion to use for another day in Hawaii.  I have a LYFT code that I share too.  This gives them 4 rides actually. 

5.  Another service we provide for those who arrive early and want to spend the day sightseeing/beach, is to give them the address to my husband's big boat to drop off their luggage for free and go about enjoying their day.  Its only 3 miles from the airport so most just take a bus or UBER / LYFT to get there.  This has been a big hit for our guests who can't check in early because I have other guests staying. And my husband brings home their luggage for them at check in time.  Its always here when they get here. We even put it into the room for them. 

6.  I also bought to-go cups for guests to take coffee with them and muffins when they are leaving early on check out day for them to enjoy as my husband or I drive them to the airport especially they don't have time for my sit down breakfast which is always served at 8am.  As a superhost, I try to think of any way I can provide great service. 

7.  I understand everyone's concerns about insurance which is why both of my vehicles are registered under my company name which has business commerical insurance to protect everyone in the vehicle.  I agree that hosts should consider this if they are transporting guests to and from airports, train stations, boat piers, etc. Its not required if you take no payment, but we do.  Not all the time, but once you take a payment, its considered a business transaction.  For those wanting to get around that loophole, then donations can be mentioned in your listing under Transporation Services.  

8.  Not every host can provide this pick up service, and that's understandable.  But I think we all can think of different ways to make it easier on the guests for check in and check out to help them perhaps save money.  Thats what makes this ABB community so awesome bc many hosts are doing this. I know a Super host in another country that has a friend who owns a Taxi service and she made a contract deal to provide her guests pickup and drop off service for a special price and she arranges this ahead of time with him to ensure dependable arrival time.  And her reviews reflect this great service.  I love how she thought about what she could do to get her guests taken care of and arrive safely and no stress to find her place.  What a great host.

9.  By the way, I have proof that it cost $75 for my guests to take a taxi from the airport to my house, so I charge half of that. And my AC works everytime. haha  EDITED TO ADD:  I always give a fun mini tour too after I pick them up.  No taxi does that.  🙂

10.  Thank you for giving me this opportunity to share what we do as ABB hosts and hopefully it inspiries another hosts to add to their ABB service by mentioning some of these great options in their listing.  There are quite a few hosts who are taking cues from me and other great hosts on how to provide more exceptional service for their guests and adding to their income too.  One recently wrote me from Spain telling me that he now charges a half day rate for morning Checks-Ins just like I do.  Why not?  Its a Win-Win for everyone.  

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Jasna6
Level 2
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia

Yes , I do pick up  my  guests from the  ferry port. It is  much easier  for me , and less time  consuming  , just to pick them up , than  to explain them how to arrive to the apartment. In the  town where I live almost all hosts are doing the same.Since it is  very small town, it  does not take  more than 10-15 minutes to do it , so in the  same time im saving my time, and making favor to them. If i Live in Paris or New York , I wouldn't probably do it.

Jasna

Jeanne87
Level 2
Piedmont, CA

No, unfortunately id be running back and forth all the time and everyone usually picks up a rental car anyways!