Poll - Do you provide breakfast?

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Poll - Do you provide breakfast?

Polls.png

Hi all,

To continue our series of polls which started last week with this poll about the cleaning fee, this week's topic is breakfast!

There are three options in this poll so choose the one that fits best. In answer to the question 'Do you provide breakfast for your guests', select either 'Yes - I cook them breakfast' or 'Yes - I give them food that I have bought (e.g. cereal, bread etc.)' or 'No - I do not provide breakfast' and then click 'submit'. If you cook and provide bought food as well, select the first option. 

Then write a comment below in the thread telling us more about your choice and why - e.g. I don't provide breakfast as I don't live in the listing etc. The answers will be interesting and useful for new as well as more experienced hosts!

You can see the current results of the poll here!

Please give any suggestions about topics of polls that you would like to see in the future! We welcome your ideas 🙂

Happy polling!

Kirstie

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current polls:

Poll - Do you charge a cleaning fee?

72 Replies 72

@Roger86  Offering breakfast is usually about guest convenience so a restaurant voucher does not add to convenience.  Better to have a lower price in the first place.  Since I am in the home and not an entire home like your listing, I use the breakfast offering to provide an added value and an opportunity to interact with the guest, as appropriate.  I have  enjoyed high ratings in part due to the rapport I establish with the guests beginning before they arrive.

BTW  I noticed your base price (which is what shows up in a search without designated dates) is almost half of your calendar based nightly rate.  That discrepancy could lead to negative feedback from guests.  Just a thought....

I'd leave $5 to $10 of non perishable breakfast and snack  items in a basket for them.  That's what I do and the baskets are very popular.  

We don't make enough money to buy breakfast. What's next? Lunch and dinner too? Sheesh. 

Brian215
Level 1
Nashville, TN

In Nashville, we're not "allowed" to serve breakfast, per the city guidelines: "No food shall be prepared for or served to the transient by the permit holder."

Even if I were able to, I would not, as for the past year we've had no complaints about it and comments asking for it.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Waffles (old-fashioned, vegan, or gluten-free) here, @Kirstie, cooked up from scratch for guests if they choose, and if I am home. Provision of some basics if I am not home. We are far from cities and from any sort of breakfast café, so it seems the thing to do. Also, I like to cook, and the visit over breakfast is fun.

When a guest, I am perfectly happy with places that do not serve breakfast. If travelling for work, often breakfast is provided by my employers, so no need for it at the accommodation. If travelling for fun, breakfast at the accommodation is good, but a local café is fun, too. It is not make-or-break. 

Lynn91
Level 2
Jacksonville Beach, FL

I do not provide breakfast.  My job causes me to do overnight travel more often than not, sometimes for many days during the week. So although I do not provide breakfast, the guests end up essentially having the place to themselves, with the exception of my bedroom.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Kirstie

I don't advertise that I give breakfast, but I leave two bags of good quality muesli, Tea, and premium quality coffee in the press available for my guest to use and milk in the fridge, which so far, has gone down very well as my guest seem quite pleasantly surprised by the gesture.

The las two guest have imitated that my price is too low, by saying how much nicer my apartment is then they expected and that most of the other one’s they’ve looked at were much more expensive

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

The Explorer's Club Krakow VIII

Aida27
Level 1
San Rafael, CA

I don't provide breakfast because I don't wish to be taxed as a bed and breakfast, which is the law if I do.  I provide all kinds of teas and coffee, however, and may break bread informally with guests occasionally.  The thing is I don't advertise it as an amenity for tax reasons, in case I was ever audited.

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

I offer a light, Continental style breakfast. I have a Kureig with coffee and tea options and condiments, cereal, juice, fruit, and breads. At this point, there is no benefit to offering much more. I'm offering one private room. I have no pools, hot-tubs, scenic views, just a simple room for a good rest. 

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.
Mariann4
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

I have the box checked for offering breakfast. But I point out that it has to be requested when guests book. This is because I can not finish the leftovers if I have the ingredients ready and the guests don't have any breakfast.

So I offer a simple breakfast containing of bread, cheese, ham and various jams, whatever type is in the fridge. Then milk and juice for drinks. I also keep eggs and bacon for the ones who want it. It is self served. Tea and coffee I have in the rented room. Guests have brought their choice to the kitchen in the morning.

I have yet to figure out a system that is bulletproof on keeping guests away from my own food in the fridge. But so far the loss is too small to make a fuzz about.

Mariann 🙂

@Mariann4 Perhaps you might consider a mini-fridge for your guests? I picked up one at a pawn shop for less than half of what a new one costs. I keep bottled water in mine and tell guests they may keep their own snacks and drinks there. Since I do not cook for guests they have no reason to be in the family refrigerator.

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.

Thank you @Robin129 🙂

I have considered it, but found that I do not have room for it. I live by myself and my private fridge has plenty of room. I don't offer bottled water since our running water is top notch. Also a second fridge gives more cleaning and more use of energy.

Mariann 🙂

a dorm sized fridge costs roughly $28 a year to run and cleaning it takes all of 5 seconds after each guest has left. I am sure you're losing more moneys worth of your own food by giving guests access to your familes fridge. Even if you bought a new one, it would probably pay for itself in 6 months. 

@Donald28

As explained before: I live alone and my fridge does not contain much food because of this. My statement about guests helping themselves too much was, also as explained before, more of a joke. On behalf of myself.

As for a new fridge paying for itself... After 9 bookings last year I "lost" half a bottle of Snapple, 2 boxes of Coca Cola and four portions of cereal that I had locked away. I doubt it would add up to buying a new fridge 🙂

@Mariann0,

would it be feasible or worthwhile to provide them with their own small dorm-style fridge?  in their room perhaps? just a thought. It would clearly demarcate what is theirs and what is yours!  Susie