Poll - How do your guests 'check-in'?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Poll - How do your guests 'check-in'?

Poll

Hello Everyone,

It has been several weeks now since our last poll here in the CC, so I thought it was about time we had another one! 🙂

After the previous poll on whether you have stayed as a guest on Airbnb, I thought I would bring it back to more of a hosting theme with: How do your guests 'check-in' to your listing?

If you would like to keep track of the responses, take a look here.

I always think it is really interesting for us to hear each others comments on our selected option, so please do add your comments around this to this thread.

Thank you and enjoy!

Lizzie

Interested in the other polls:

Have you stayed as a guest on Airbnb before?

Do you provide breakfast?

Do you charge a clearning fee?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

26 Replies 26
Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

I try to be there in person, but also have a Smart Lock so they can let themselves in if I'm at work or if they arrive very late. Whenever we're both around I welcome them and show them around. I really like the flexibility of not having to be at home - a lot of people are bad at estimating their arrival time!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Allison2,

Lovely to see your reply, I hope you are good. 🙂

This sounds like you have the best of both worlds and I imagine this offers you far more flexibility. 

Just out of interest do you see much of a difference in response towards you or to their stay from your guests, depending on the whether you are there in person to meet them or whether they have enter themselves? 

Lizzie

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Not really - I haven't noticed a difference in reviews or anything. There might be a difference if it was totally hands-off, but I welcome them, orient them to the place, and chat (if they're the sort) either way. 

When they've let themselves in I don't walk them around quite as much (stick to hallway/lounge, not bedrooms/bath) because it feels invasive to walk into their rooms after they've brought their belongings in. I've noticed the ones that don't get the full walkthrough do more "annoy the host" things - like using the good washcloths to remove makeup, or unplugging lights because I didn't show them where the switch is. Nothing that's a huge deal, and definitely a worthwhile tradeoff for the convenience of not being tied to the house (for me), and ability to get in immediately (for them).

I agree, having a"smart lock" allows greater flexibility for check-in but I prefer to have initial face to face meet upon guests' arrival.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I meet each guest personally as this is a shared home, I am retired and I have a dog in the house.  At times it is inconvenient and some guests are a bit insensitive to causing inconvenience.  I always message upcoming guests at least a week in advance regarding the estimated time of arrival.  In addition to using the guest arrival as an opportunity to orient the guest to the house rules, I introduce them to my "co-host" Cami the greyhound.  I want to ensure the guest is comfortable with the dog and visa versa.  So far Cami gets high ratings in the guest reviews!  While the rapport established with a guest can vary widely, I believe the check-in process can set the tone for the stay.

As a guest, I have not had really good check in experience as yet.  While I was able to get into the homes with no problem, I felt like an intruder not like a welcomed guest.  I think if I rent an entire space, that is more like a hotel, so I expect to enter on my own.  However, stepping into a shared home experience, I am not only entering someone's space I am entering their lives.  Just my perspective...

I think it's important to note the different kinds of places that receive travelers. If it's a shared space someone should be there to personally welcome the traveler and show them around. I have a whole house rental so I think it's not as important to meet them so I have a keypad lock. Unless there is something odd about the house I think most people cherish their "anonimity" and prefer to let themselves in.

Since I live in the house and have indoor-only cats, there is only one option, and that is for me to be there when the guest arrives.  However, check-in TIME is more of an issue for me. I asked my last guest about 5 days before his arrival to specify his arrival time. I knew that he was coming from out of state, but I wanted him to know that I was actually out of state as well, working on getting my house ready to list, and didn't want to come back earlier than absolutely necessary because I wanted to complete that project if possible, to avoid having to go back again. 

When I packed my car to make the drive to come meet him, and got on the road, I got a text from him saying he and his friend decided to visit another city that was on their route, and would stay there overnight. He changed his arrival time for the next morning. SO, I turned around and went back to do more work for another 8 hours, then drove all night to make sure I was there at least 2 hours before him so I could clean and would be there if he arrived early. 

His arrival time came and went, and then another hour and a half went by, so I sent him a text. He said they'd gotten up late, and would arrive 3 hours later than he'd told me.  (he later changed that to say he'd gotten a flat tire, but when he arrived, I didn't see a spare tire on the car, or any signs that they'd stopped to change a tire).

I had only a half hour left to get to the bank, and had multiple errands to run while out, so I told him I'd return at 3pm, which is the official check-in time listed here if no other agreed-upon time is set. He started texting me like crazy, ""3:00??" and "how will I get in before 3?" and calling me and asking me to leave a key, which I won't do when I have all my belongings and animals in the house. 

I could understand uncertainty if he were catching a plane or driving from six states away, but the city they'd visited the night before was only 2.5 hours away, so there wasn't really a good reason for him not knowing when he'd arrive, and even less reason for him not to contact me when he realized he would arrive hours later than promised.

It makes me wonder if a lot of guests see us as a business that is no different than a hotel, and I'm the staff person who's job it is to be at the house 24/7 to meet their needs.....which would make sense if it weren't for the fact that there are no hotels that charge $20/night and are all-inclusive.  

1. @Kim238  It seems you have a very narrow market for your space.  Guests must accept that you run rescue for cats (love it!) and in this case you had other obligations that reduced your flexibilty to meet the guest.  You provide a good value so you should avoid being too accommodating.  Also, I think you need to see your business from the perspective of the traveler.  Have you ever been an Air BNB guest?  It has helped me to be both host and traveler.  Anyway, if you cannot be flexible, then don't be and be sure to vet the guest so they fit into your parameters.  Really...you are not getting a huge nightly rate, so you should fit this business into all the other things that matter to you.  At the same time, do not blame the guest too harshly.   I have guests that are way off their ETA but I am not running a cat rescue and dealing with other properties!

@Linda108  thanks for your helpful comments!  I don't know how narrow my market is compared to others, but I can say that I get more requests than I want or can handle right now so, in about 2 months(?) of being on here,  I've declined 4x times as many as I've accepted. 

To answer your question, I've never been a guest on AirBnB, but I've made appointments to be places before, and I can say with absolute certainty that, regardless of who I"m meeting or where or why,  if we agree to meet at noon, I'm going to call them if I can't be there by noon, so they aren't waiting, and don't end up leaving.  

We have cell phones now in the year 2017, so making a 2 min call to say "I'm late" is really very easy 😉

Guests obligations to me have nothing to do with cat rescue.

It's about being an adult and respecting others' time.   At a hotel,  people know they can show up anytime during the afternoon or night to check in. But, I've made it clear to guests that I"m neither a hotel nor part of paid staff. They know I live in the house.

As it turned out, his lack of regard for my time was just the precursor to a lot of similar behaviors during his stay, such as leaving my house unlocked (in a high crime city), leaving the front door wide open and letting pets out,  leaving food in pots for 3 days, and grease splatters all over the stove (that he never did clean up) and slamming doors while I'm sleeping.

Instead of putting up with him through August, I called AirBnb and ended his stay this week.  The kitchen has greasy yellow curry powder splattered all over, his room reeks of sweat, and he broke an antique rocker, but I'm just so glad he's gone!  

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

I meet my guests personally. I have two Boxers and, while they have never bitten anyone, I am concerned they will see the guest as an intruder. 

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.
Kim-and-Jen0
Level 10
Oslo, Norway

@Lizzie

We (or one of us) always there in person. 

We believe, it is huge impact to welcome the guests in person. We usually give them brief tour of our apartment and also indirectly remind them about our house rules (although some guests are not sensitive and doesnt know 'privacy' boundaries - which really makes me frustrated).

We really like to spend 15-30 minutes talking to each of the guests explaining bout the city, give them tips or just chat with them after they come back from sightseeing. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Linda108@Kim238@Todd-and-Beth0@Kim-and-Jen0@Robin129@Allison2

Thanks so much for your comments. I like that everyone have they different ways to do it and you have got into your own routine of what works for you. 

The poll has receive lots of replies so far 163:

Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 16.08.59.png

It is great to see the different ways to check-in and welcome guests. Around about 50% of hosts who have taken part are there in person, followed by hosts having smart locks so guests can let themselves in. The fewest number here is with co-host/managing company, do you think now there is the possibility to add a co-host to your Airbnb listing, this will increase over sometime? 

Please continue to share your thoughts and anyone else who has taken part and voted, it would be great to hear from you. 🙂

Thanks everyone,

Lizzie

--------------------

Susan10
Level 9
Elkton, MD

I am usually there when guests check in, but also leave a key behind fairly often.  I do notice a difference in reviews from anonymous stays and chek ins versus those that I have a chance to meet and great and explain things.  Totally anonyous guests seem to make assumptions about your house that are wrong and could easily be cleared up by human interaction and communication.

Those are my thoughts.

Ryan63
Level 9
Packwood, WA

Whether I'm a guest or host, I'm not really interested in meeting either.  As a guest, I just want to know how to find your place, find your keys, and have enough information to quickly learn where things are, how to operate your appliances, get your WiFi password, so I can get on with things.

As a host, I've met only about 3 of my guests (out of a little over 100).  They receive a link to my guide book on the web, which has everything they need to locate my home and get settled with no fuss.  If I'm there, I feel like I'm getting in their way and only repeating things they've either already read or already have on their phones/laptops.  Literally zero complaints so far.