[Poll] How long after a stay do you leave a review?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[Poll] How long after a stay do you leave a review?

Laptop and coffee.jpeg

Hello everyone,

Over the past few years, I have read many comments on when to leave a review for your guests following the end of a reservation. Some prefer to do it right after the end of a stay, and others wait a bit, or even wait until the very last moment to write one. It would be interesting to learn more about your habits, preferences, and the reasons behind them.

With that said, how long after a booking has ended do you leave a review?

Thank you,

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

40 Replies 40
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing this @Mert53

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

I have been in the habit of doing a quick walkthrough once they've left, and if it looks clean with no damage I've given a positive review almost immediately. Because own a store and live on the farm property, I typically have a decent amount of interactions with the guests as they often hang out in the store, so I feel like we've had a more personal exchange and prompt reviews are part of that relationship... A couple guests ago I did a quick walk through, it looked clean and no damage and I gave them a good review. Later, when I went to put the clean dishes away, I noticed a knife missing. I briefly thought it could have been an accident as they spent the day at the race track and possibly took it in a cooler with snacks. Then I noticed a funnel was gone and another cutting tool. In all, they took about 5-6 kitchen items, extra paper towels, toilet paper, a case of bottled water (we supply it for free, but they were here two days and managed to have about 48 bottles) and the full size toiletries we provide, not samples or travel size. My guests this weekend went to use the iron and it leaked rusty water all over. That's when I noticed my good iron had been swapped out with a piece of rusty junk. A hairdryer was also missing. Anyway, my fault for not looking as closely as I should. The hairdryer and iron could have been taken a while back, the other stuff was definitely the one couple. Anyway, my new plan is to have a checklist and wait until i've completely cleaned and tallied. I have a small one bedroom house. Again, not so much the monetary stuff, but the violation that you are opening your home to people and they do this. 

Pedro1613
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

I don't really have a timeframe. It varies.

I only review guests soon after they check out if the experience was a positive one. I want other hosts to know the guest was great.

If the experience wasn't great, then it depends on why. If it's just because there was no affinity/rapport, then I don't review the guest. My opinion of someone's character is not important to other hosts unless I know it is something that will have a negative impact on other hosts. For example, if the guest is dishonest, inconsiderate or break the house rules, then I'd feel like posting a review. In this situation, I'd wait a few days so that it becomes clear to me what to write.

Pam5
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Malindi, Kenya

Hi everyone, 

How soon I review my guest depends on how fast I or my cleaner is able to access and inspect the house. Once we have confirmed that all is well then and only then do we proceed to review them.

PamG
Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

Historically, my guest reviews run around 50%, meaning only about 50% of my guests participate in the review process. I used to review all of my guests no matter what but became frustrated when I was rewarding them with a great review and they weren't reciprocating. 

I have since adopted the policy of not reviewing a 5* guest unless they leave a review for me first.

However, if the guest is a less than 5* guest, I feel I owe it to future hosts to warn them about the guest's behavior so in these cases they will receive a review. I don't review <5* guests right away as I don't want to post an emotional review. I wait until closer to the end of the review process when I can give an honest, factual review vs an angry one.

Stephen-And-Sandy0
Level 2
Cromwell, New Zealand

We normally reviewed our guest after they checkout and the room is cleaned.  Easier to review with fresh in mind. 

Due to the two ways review system in airbnb, we found the not so good guests, they will not leave review, so our review cannot be published, shame on there is warning other hosts for what they have done.

@Stephen-And-Sandy0 

If only one side (host or guest) chooses to leave a review - then it will get publishes when the 14 day review period is over. So definitely leave a review if you wish to warn future hosts 🌿🙂

Alan1159
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

I'm on on-premises host, and I've always reviewed the day guest checks out, after I've walked through and begun the turnaround process and cleaning.  I've also send each one a note, thanking them for choosing my place and for being a great guest.  After a year of hosting with few issues, I've run into a guest who was not stellar, obviously violated a house rule, and for whom I don't want to write a 5-star review.  I think I will wait for the last day of the review window for this one. 

Eileen0
Level 9
London, United Kingdom

I always wait a few days to do the review, just in case any issues arise after they leave. I always write  reviews for my guests. Almost always, my guests are lovely which makes the reviews easy to write.  

I review as soon as airbnb send a review request. I always try my best to stay on top of things relating to my airbnb business because reviews are the heartbeat of everything we do. To succeed or not will depend on the urgency a host place of communications with guests.

Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

After I personally clean and inspect.