[Poll] What kind of property do you host?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[Poll] What kind of property do you host?

Lake Tahoe.jpg

Hello everyone,

A lot of members here on the Community Center host from lovely homes. We have read some great comments about them in the past such as one from @Laura2592's, who turned an old stone schoolhouse into a lovely cottage and @Maureen-and-Jackie-0 who hosts from a townhouse!

We thought it would be great to get to know what kind of property you are hosting from!

For this week, we have added four options of property types. Please choose an option that fits your listing type the best, however, do not worry if your property type is not mentioned in the poll as we have more polls coming soon! 

It would be great if you could write a comment below in the thread telling us more about your choice as it would be very interesting to read. 

Having said all the above, perhaps you might even have a specific property type that you've dreamt of having! Feel free to share this below 🙂

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

23 Replies 23
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

What is the official definition of a “flat”? We don’t really use that term much in the US. I assume it is “A single-floor unit in a multiple-unit building”, what we call a condo, whereas a “townhouse” is multiple units, side-by-side, with each having more than one floor. Does that sound right? If so, I will mark “flat”.

Maybe the different property types should be defined in more detail, so as not to cause confusion, and the definition of a particular property should be clearly noted in the listing. I have noticed that guests sometimes don’t get the property type they expect. 

One of the most confusing to guests seems to be a basement or entire single floor of a building. These are often described as “Entire place”, and guests are surprised when they find they are actually sharing the building with someone else.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Quincy  It is not at all clear what you are asking for. My "property type", according to Airbnb's categories, is a house, but your title talks about "type of listing", which in my case is a private room.

And what is the result of this poll going to be used for?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Pat271 @Sarah977, I apologize for the confusion regarding the different terms here!

I'm trying to get an idea of what kind of property type everyone  on the CC is hosting from. I'm sorry for not being too descriptive in this instance as I don't want the topic to be switched off as a 'TLDR' post. 

The results will be used for topics on the CC for guides about specific property types, which I hope will be on a monthly basis. I could have taken the data from a database, however, thought it would be better to ask here as it would be more relevant. 

I've seen some members posting about different property types, which made me think that perhaps I could create something in a more unified way for each property type based on the results from the poll.

I hope this clarifies it a little. 

-----

@Quincy  You still haven't clarified what I asked. My property type is a house, but I only host a private room, not the entire house.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

My listing are  Flats. I let the entire space.

Flat (UK)  = Apartment  (US)

@Quincy 

My property type that I've dreamt of having!

I wish I had some hotels in some cities that I visited and liked them !!! Then I would live in my hotels, about 2 or 3 months on each city. I would earn money with them and I would not have to spend money on accommodation.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @J-Renato0, thanks for also sharing your answer here 😃

My favourite would something near the sea, although I wouldn't mind being in the mountains either! What would your favourite cities be? 

-----

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Quincy  You have good taste, by the sea or in the mounstains !!   When I visited I enjoyed specially London, Rome, Venice, San Francisco and New Orleans. Berlim in the summer must be great. I was there in the autumm and it was already somewhat cold. I would also visit Paris, Lisbon, Zurich and Athens again if I can do it in the future.

Jennifer1773
Level 10
Brevard, NC

Hi @Quincy this is a really interesting question! When I first listed on Airbnb, I categorized my listing as a cottage, because it is older (1940s), quaint and a bit eclectic. I struggled between that and a house, because, well it is still a house. I realized that my choice really did not matter (at the time), since people search by "entire place," "private room" or "hotel room." However, now with the new updates (especially with guests searching via flexible destination which seems to include house type) that my choice may now matter. What do you think?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Jennifer1773, thank you for clarifying this further! It could definitely be something worth exploring. Which option have you chosen in this poll if I may ask? Did you go for cottage in the end? 

-----

Hi @Quincy I did choose cottage in the end... It seems to be the best fit for the feel of my place! I'm interested to hear more about how the house type might factor into searches once the new updates roll out. 

Yocencia0
Level 6
Shepherdstown, WV

We have three listings,  one is a house,  one is a cabin (natural materials i.e. stone) and the third is a tiny house.  

@Quincy 

It's really a little topsy turvey question because as we all know what are now called 'Tiny Houses' are what used to be a standard size home back in the day,  pre 1970's era.

People back in the day added rooms to their homes as and when they could afford to and as materials became available.

What some call 'Tiny Homes' are also what here in New Zealand are often original 'Baches' along our Coastlines - where people first used to arrive by sailing vessels as that was the mode of transport..or homes that have remained small.

Interestingly I've just stayed at a friends in another part of Auckland recently and walking around it's interesting to observe what were once 'Small / Tiny' original homes converted into Garden Sheds, Laundry rooms, Sleepouts or Garages...or added on to with extensions..

Next time one walks around one's location, note the various sizes of Garages and reflect on the size and mode of transport that was once housed there..

As @J-Renato0 has stated Flats are also called Units or apartments here in New Zealand.

@Laura2592 @Yocencia0 and others

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

You have lovely listings @Yocencia0

-----

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

We host a schoolhouse converted to a cottage as @Quincy mentioned. But here is the thing-- people call it a "cabin" sometimes. Its officially not a cabin, as the definition of "cabin" is  a small shelter or house, made of wood and situated in a wild or remote area" whereas a cottage is "a small house, usually away from a city or town, often used for vacation purposes." As our home is not made of wood, its technically a cottage. I know, I know, I am being pedantic. But "log cabin" carries a really strong visual image, so I think that should be added to the list!