Pop-up warning about declining guests

Jill35
Level 1
Chicago, IL

Pop-up warning about declining guests

I received a pop-up warning about declining $3500 worth of reservations this year. I do decline guests with no reviews unless I feel comfortable upon reviewing their profile or reading their intro about why they are coming to Chicago (now limit acceptance to about 1/5 guests with no reviews).  I have the government ID requirement set as one layer to avoid newbies who are not vetted. This particular guest requested my apartment for 5 nights with two other guests during a huge festival (Lollapolooza in Chicago) and was under age 25. I definitley did not feel comfortable renting to him and declined as such.

My question: Is there a penalty to my rating or placement of my listing in search if I continue to decline guests I do not feel comfortable with? I've had a steady stream of bookings on weekends I will be gone and am happy with the guests I've had thus far since being more judicious about my acceptance rate - I would like to keep it that way without fearing a penalty for declining guests without reviews that make me uncomfortable.

My newfound pickiness is due to a few bad apples that A) messaged me throughout the weekend asking questions addressed in the welcome letter or just really dumb questions (Guest: Did you leave the right key? I can't get in. Me: No prior guest had trouble getting in - try turning the doorknob left after inserting the key. Guest: okay thanks, I'm in now), B) received several parking tickets because they didn't read the signs posted on the city street nor the permit I left for them to avoid tickets, or C) gave me a bad review because they expected Ritz Carlton treatment on a Motel 6 budget. Most of those guests were newbies and again, I don't need the money enough to bother with constant Airbnb messages when I'm on vacation myself.

4 Replies 4
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Jill35 I also received this pop-up message yesterday when I was about to decline a guest who was not being responsive and just ignoring my message. It looks like the message only shows up if you try to decline on desktop/laptop/website because there was no message when I declined using the app on my phone.

I don't personally know whether it affects rating placement, etc. I hope not... because I know that airbnb has access to all of my message thread and I always have a reason when I decline someone: not responsive, not agreeing to house rules, asking for something I don't offer, being rude/complicated, disagree to have real photos, disagree to have verified ID, and more. It is not like I decline people for fun/without a concrete reason. So, I personally think that the message is a bit useless because yes, I prefer to make a bit less money than hosting people who do not fit my house because this usually ends up with longer pain/more penalty and trouble.

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

It doesn't sound as if AirBnB is penalizing you if you keep getting a constant stream of inquiries and bookings. Perhaps, there are few hosts in your area that offer what you do at that rate. Either way there doesn't seem much they can do in making you accept someone, especially if your IB isn't turned on. They may be noticing how much in fees they are missing out on. You may want to review your profile and see if you can't clairfy a few items. Clearly something isn't matching up if youre declining that much in reservations. Additionally, theres another box you can click to get more vetted inquiries I think its "must have a positive review from a host."

I previously had the same issue of getting a lot of inquiries that wasted my time or having guests that lack common sense arrive to my doorsteps. Not sure what it was but they all of a sudden vanished or dwindled to an unnoticeable number. I may get 2 reservations a month that need hand holding. Previously it was every other reservation. I know that raising my rate and adding more defined house rules seemed to do help. Also writing in caps telling people where to find information also helped a bunch.

Best of luck.

Emma94
Level 10
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Don't decline just send an outrageous special offer and let the inquirer decline it themselves.

Solange22
Level 3
Willemstad, Curaçao

Hi Brian, I assume this is a automated letter written to al hosts and we should appreciate it. Thank you for taking the time to try and make the host feel and perform better. Unfortunately I made up my mind and after 2 years of hosting and numerous phone calls to the UK, when problems occur with unwilling guests, I decided that having 1 listing instead of 5 is better. I closed up the premises and I am currently selling the building. AQUARIUS CITY APARTMENT is the last one left on that location and before AIRBNB suspends my account I decided to close it myself.
Yes I have been reading the threat for 4 months now that my account will be suspended if my points go below 4.
In my daily life I am an architect and a business owner which I have been for the past 41 years and like no other I know what it means to give the best service because you never get a second chance to make that first impression. In the meantime I have been approached several times by BOOKING.COM to become a host in their organization and I waited for 2 years while experiencing the AIRBNB approach. My listings are far more than a place to crash on a mattress. So the price tips I am getting to get bookings are embarrassingly low and definitely don’t cover the costs. Forget about earnings. My goal was to become a super host so I could raise the prices a little. But I no longer go for that. I am not going for anything anymore.
When you are disappointed with something or someone, you only have yourself to blame I have been thought by wise people because you raise them on a pedestal that they don’t deserve. So no I am not disappointed just richer of an experience. Casa Mango Lodge is blocked after a few months when I will start with Booking.com. It would have been great if I could sync the 2 calendars. But I assume that is not possible. I would be great to here from anyone from AIRBNB in a personal reaction. Not an automated letter. Be good.