Potential Phishing email from Airbnb?

Jessica1817
Level 1
Wellington, NZ

Potential Phishing email from Airbnb?

Hi all, we're new(ish) hosts, today I received an email from Airbnb alerting me to a potential non-legitimate booking. Here's what it says:

Hi, Jessica and Tom,

We monitor all reservations and user interactions on Airbnb very closely. We've noticed this reservation HMBCN . . . .. . F doesn't appear to be legitimate. As a result we have cancelled the reservation and refunded the payment. If you feel this was done in error, please let us know. Otherwise we hope you understand that we do this to preserve the integrity of our marketplace.

Regards,

The Airbnb team

The signoff and appearance of it looks really good, but what immediately worries me is that I have no idea who Tom is. Our listing is under my name only, and my husband's name isn't Tom anyway. So if this is phishing, who should I alert and how?

Also, I'd like to see which booking this refers to, is there a way to search by booking ref so that I don't have to go through all of our upcoming bookings? I'm not concerned about losing a booking, more that something might have happened to a legit booking if this is faked then a guest might be out of pocket or without a place to stay. If anyone has seen this email before and can verify what's happening that would be great!

Thanks,

Jess

SOOOO I can't delete, only edit - but I've found the listing this pertains to and Tom is the guest. Looking into it now 🙂

1 Reply 1
Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jessica1817 

To check genuine email, go to dashboard and look in HELP

'Search', type:   'How do I know if an email or website is really from Airbnb?'

The info includes a section:

Check for official Airbnb domains

Fraudulent emails often come from domains that may appear similar, such as @bnb.com or @reservation-airbnb.com. But legitimate emails from Airbnb will only come from the following domains:

• @airbnb.com
  • @airbnbaction.com
  • @airbnbmail.com
  • @airbnb.zendesk.com
  • @e.airbnb.com
  • @express.medallia.com
  • @ext.airbnb.com
  • @guest.airbnb.com
  • @host.airbnb.com
  • @noreply@qemailserver.com
  • @outreach.airbnb.com
  • @research.airbnb.com

If it's not sent from one of these addresses, it’s not from Airbnb.

================

If you're still not sure, phone Customer Services and ask if Airbnb sent the email.